Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruit bushes

Options
  • 16-01-2012 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi all, I would like to grow a selection of fruit in 6 decent size tall planters I've got on my deck. They will get full sun most of the day, or could be placed under the shade of a tree.

(Approx 12" square tapering in on way down, and approx 18" high)

Can anyone suggest fruit I could grow in these? I would love blackberries for starters, and maybe some of the more exotic fruits. Hardy and heavy laden crop would of course be ideal....

Can they be started now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Now is a good time to start bareroot fruit bushes. I'm sure blackberry would grow but thing is they send out very long canes (2-4 meters depending on the variety) so you would need some support for them to climb up. Having said that the variety Loch Ness is supposed to be upright growing rather than sprawling so it might work best? If you can position the pot near and wall and put up a trellis or wires that should do the trick.
    You could try raspberry canes. You could make a tee-pee arrangement with bamboo and grow the canes up those.
    Blueberries would work well in those pots. You need to use ericaceous compost and only water them with rain water.
    Black and red currents could work too.
    You could consider a dwarf apple or pear tree. Family trees can be good.
    Of all the different types of fruit I think you should definately try blueberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VirtualWorld

Thanks Redser,

I said Blackberries but actually meant blueberries. My experience of blackberries is picking them in the wild each summer & freezing. They're brilliant. But I can see what you mean about them not being suited to pots. I had presumed they wouldn't work at all in pots. I might just try look at other varieties now though. Thank you.

Your response regarding blueberries is just what I wanted to hear. I have a plum and an apple tree already in the garden, I was thinking more in terms of berries or that style of fruit. But thank you for that suggestion also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Trademark

I was in Atlantic Homecare at the weekend and saw they had a selection of berry plants/shrubs at 2 for €5. Didn't get a chance to see what they all were but remember there was raspberry, gooseberry, tayberry and blackcurrant there.

Mr Middletons have a nice looking red apple tree with red flesh which is meant to be suitable for container growing, I'd give it a go except it's a bit pricey and with my luck the dog would kick it over!

I saw a selection in Dealz that I'm going back to get for 1.49 ea. I felt I needed to do my homework on what was suited to planters, but figure now, at that price they're worth the gamble. I looked through the Mr Midleton catalogue today. Those red apples look amazing. Prices were a tad over budget for me though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bartlguy

Try woodies as they got a delivery of fruit bushes in yesterday

• Advertisement

Must do. I don't have one near me but I will be travelling over the weekend. I picked up a blueberry and a red currant in dealz for 1.49 ea. They had nothing else left. Thanks for that

Advertisement