Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai not leading by example on parking, says Irish Times journalist

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

A lot of people work far from their homes and outside hours of public transport yet they manage fine without operating under the presumption that they are exempt from sections of the law so I don't think that's a valid excuse to be perfectly honest.

Despite my username I'm no legal eagle so can't offer an argument against this and will have to defer to your argument for now.

However, I would presume if it is as you assert above then parking on a footpath in order to be as close as possible to the station is not really in keeping with the spirit of the law, is that a fair point?

I'm not being facetious here but it would appear that yes they are indeed happy to park there as clearly they continue to do so rather than seeking out alternative spaces in the same as everyone else.

I would again state that I can't offer any argument on the legal side of it as I'm not versed in the legislation. However, as above, I would argue that it is not in keeping with the spirit and intention of the law.

On your second point; do you curse/smoke in front of your kids or your friends kids? I'm going to pre-empt your answer and say no you don't.

It's the same principle; You have authority over those in your care but you don't set a bad a example as you know it will be followed.

These are the core issues, IMO.

The Garda Inspectorate, as quoted by me earlier, has stated clearly what is expected of AGS members in the normal course of events (as opposed to emergency situations).

IMO the Inspectorate shouldn't have to point out what ought to be obvious in terms of consideration for others. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, it seems clear that AGS members don't regard themselves as being workers or citizens the same as everyone else.

This means, in the context of the OP, that many of them couldn't give a monkey's about where they park, how they park, who is affected by the obnoxious parking and what the effect on public perceptions might be of such blatant not-giving-a-monkeys behaviour.

It is clear to me that such disregard for traffic law and for the safety and convenience of others, especially pedestrians and the disabled, contributes to our culture of individualism and laxity in relation to compliance, civic responsibility and enforcement. Such attitudes displayed at official level breed cynicism and apathy among the citizenry, IMO, to the extent that compliance is seen as weak, foolish and self-defeating, and enforcement an affront to civil liberties and "common sense".

Garda_owned_car_in_Blue_badge_space.jpg?t=1317945003

Gda_owned_car_blocks_fire_exit.jpg

Garda-foot-patrol-ignores.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

Seems like it was a slow day at the newspapers really though does it not???:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

markpb wrote: »
    Why would they be carrying anything to their private cars? And why would they build a car park at Store St when it's well served by public transport and local parking facilities? Underground car parks are incredibly expensive to build and maintain - parking isn't free.

Harcourt Street is a different matter. The private parking facilities inside are required in many cases for specific units and members who must protect their identities.
    markpb wrote: »
    Fair enough :)

My problem is that I don't think most people realise how expensive it is to provide and maintain underground or multi-story parking. People might be willing to pay for it but not if they knew full cost of providing it. In any case, if parking is provided nearby, why duplicate it?

Out of curiosity (and not related to the thread) why do you need to carry all that stuff? Are you regularly assigned to different stations in the same week?

It can be installed when building new stations. It should be standard really in any modern built station. The benefits far outweigh the possible upkeep costs. At the very least it provides more parking for members of the public who wish to come into a station.
    Iwannahurl wrote: »
    These are the core issues, IMO.

The Garda Inspectorate, as quoted by me earlier, has stated clearly what is expected of AGS members in the normal course of events (as opposed to emergency situations).

You misunderstand the role of the inspectorate. They analyse the organisation and make recommendations as to how to improve it.
    IMO the Inspectorate shouldn't have to point out what ought to be obvious in terms of consideration for others. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, it seems clear that AGS members don't regard themselves as being workers or citizens the same as everyone else.

They aren't. An Garda Síochána has a unique role that cannot be compared to any other job that I can think of.
    This means, in the context of the OP, that many of them couldn't give a monkey's about where they park, how they park, who is affected by the obnoxious parking and what the effect on public perceptions might be of such blatant not-giving-a-monkeys behaviour.

Excellent work at misusing a quote. The poster you quoted clearly indicated that he wouldn't park in a place that was obstructing anything. That's a disgraceful misrepresentation of what he said. it has been explained to you why the parking is sometimes necessary for safety too.
    It is clear to me that such disregard for traffic law and for the safety and convenience of others, especially pedestrians and the disabled, contributes to our culture of individualism and laxity in relation to compliance, civic responsibility and enforcement. Such attitudes displayed at official level breed cynicism and apathy among the citizenry, IMO, to the extent that compliance is seen as weak, foolish and self-defeating, and enforcement an affront to civil liberties and "common sense".

You say disregard to traffic law. You have been shown how the traffic laws do not apply to members in these cases. You obviously chose to ignore that because it didn't suit your agenda.

Is this supposed to be a members car? Or is it possible a parking permit was given to someone while they wait for their disabled badge? I don't know any Gardaí that abuse disabled spaces. It's just not accepted in the job.

What makes you think it's Garda owned?

Ridiculous and pointless picture to post. The car owners are with the car and likely moving off. It's not relevant to the thread at all.

MagicSean wrote: »
    You misunderstand the role of the inspectorate. They analyse the organisation and make recommendations as to how to improve it.

I don't. Their report on Roads Policing speaks for itself.

They aren't. An Garda Síochána has a unique role that cannot be compared to any other job that I can think of.

The Inspectorate expects AGS to set a good example for the general public. If AGS has a unique and special place in our society, then that is a very good reason for striving to set a good example. And for actually giving a monkey's.

Excellent work at misusing a quote. The poster you quoted clearly indicated that he wouldn't park in a place that was obstructing anything. That's a disgraceful misrepresentation of what he said.

Your definition of what is "disgraceful" is rather narrow, I would suggest. IRL I routinely encounter (a) Garda vehicles and Garda-owned vehicles obstructing footpaths, (b) obnoxious/illegal parking being ignored or even facilitated by AGS members. Not giving a monkey's about such obstruction is endemic, in my view.

You say disregard to traffic law. You have been shown how the traffic laws do not apply to members in these cases. You obviously chose to ignore that because it didn't suit your agenda.

Ah, that old Boards chestnut: my "agenda". Good manners, consideration for others and civic responsibility ought to be a given, IMO, especially among the members of a professional organisation that is beyond compare as you suggest.

Is this supposed to be a members car? Or is it possible a parking permit was given to someone while they wait for their disabled badge? I don't know any Gardaí that abuse disabled spaces. It's just not accepted in the job.

It was a Garda-owned car. The car park in question is well-stocked daily with Garda-owned cars parked in P&D spaces with no parking tickets on display. OTOH, Garda diaries and other AGS identifiers are put on clear display, with the sole function of getting exemption from having to pay for parking like any normal citizen. No worries about criminal damage there, for some strange reason.

What makes you think it's Garda owned?

Garda diary on the dash. The kids were inside the school while the fire exit was blocked. When I pointed this out to a Garda on duty nearby he said "you'd want to watch yourself". A traffic warden came by shortly after, checked for the presence of an AGS diary, and then did nothing either.

Ridiculous and pointless picture to post. The car owners are with the car and likely moving off. It's not relevant to the thread at all.

Your excuses for obnoxious/illegal parking, OTOH, are imaginative. Keep 'em coming! :);)

Garda_squad_car_Blue_Badge.jpg

I don't. Their report on Roads Policing speaks for itself.

You do. They make observations and reccommendations on best practice. That is all. Garda management decide policy.
    The Inspectorate expects AGS to set a good example for the general public. If AGS has a unique and special place in our society, then that is a very good reason for striving to set a good example. And for actually giving a monkey's.

Striving is all very good but if the facilities aren't there what can they do?
    Your definition of what is "disgraceful" is rather narrow, I would suggest. IRL I routinely encounter (a) Garda vehicles and Garda-owned vehicles obstructing footpaths, (b) obnoxious/illegal parking being ignored or even facilitated by AGS members. Not giving a monkey's about such obstruction is endemic, in my view.

You still completely misrepresented that posters view with a tactical quote. I've explained to you how it is both legal and often necessary. Unfortunately you seem to be intent on ognoring these points.
    Ah, that old Boards chestnut: my "agenda". Good manners, consideration for others and civic responsibility ought to be a given, IMO, especially among the members of a professional organisation that is beyond compare as you suggest.

That doesn't address in any way the quote you were replying to.
    It was a Garda-owned car. The car park in question is well-stocked daily with Garda-owned cars parked in P&D spaces with no parking tickets on display. OTOH, Garda diaries and other AGS identifiers are put on clear display, with the sole function of getting exemption from having to pay for parking like any normal citizen. No worries about criminal damage there, for some strange reason.

How do you know they are Garda owned? I would be a little concerned as to how you have so many photos of what you claim to be members private vehicles
    Garda diary on the dash. The kids were inside the school while the fire exit was blocked. When I pointed this out to a Garda on duty nearby he said "you'd want to watch yourself". A traffic warden came by shortly after, checked for the presence of an AGS diary, and then did nothing either.

Just as an aside, there is no "Garda Diary". Are you referring to the one given out by the credit unions, the IPA or the GRA? Or do you just see a diary and make an assumption. In any case, you again seem to be ignoring the fact that while it is certainly inconsiderate, it is not illegal.
    Your excuses for obnoxious/illegal parking, OTOH, are imaginative. Keep 'em coming!

I haven't made excuses. I've explained to you why it is not illegal and I have explained to you why it is necessary to park near the station. After continuosly demanding proof and then being supplied with it you then promptly chose to ignore the points altogether and move on to posting the registraion numbers of what you consider to be Garda owned vehciles without any proof they are Garda owned. You have also tried to misquote and misrepresent peoples opinions. It is clear that discussing this matter with you is a pointless endevour. I sincerely hope you don't work for the media because I would despair for the industry if this is the manner in which investigations are conducted and stories are written.

EDIT: I'd also question the age of the photos as there are a number of things that would indicate to me they are quite out-dated.

• Advertisement

You do. They make observations and reccommendations on best practice. That is all. Garda management decide policy.

I don't. The role of the Inspectorate is to promote excellence and accountability in the Garda Síochána. Tough job, it seems.

Striving is all very good but if the facilities aren't there what can they do?

Cities and towns all over this country are well supplied with parking spaces within a reasonable walking distance of stations. That doesn't stop both AGS members and the general public from parking illegally/obnoxiously, most especially on footpaths. It is commonplace to see members of the general public parking illegally in the vicinity of Garda stations. Why do they seem to believe that they won't be ticketed, I wonder?

You still completely misrepresented that posters view with a tactical quote. I've explained to you how it is both legal and often necessary. Unfortunately you seem to be intent on ognoring these points.

I haven't. The poster originated the phrase about not giving a monkey's in this thread, not me. What I'm suggesting is that the phrase neatly encapsulates the attitude of some members of AGS as well as many members of the general public, ie motorists who couldn't care less where they park, especially if it's only pedestrians that are affected. The two phenomena are not unrelated.

How do you know they are Garda owned? I would be a little concerned as to how you have so many photos of what you claim to be members private vehicles

Touch of innuendo there, perhaps? I would suggest that if AGS members don't want their cars to be identified, then they shouldn't display Garda Credit Union diaries and similar items bearing the Garda crest/logo. Of course, that might expose them to being fined for not displaying a valid Pay & Display ticket, and we couldn't have that, could we? Incidentally, displaying such Garda identifiers so openly suggests no concern at all about the potential for criminal damage, which IIRC you suggested was a 'big issue'.

Just as an aside, there is no "Garda Diary". Are you referring to the one given out by the credit unions, the IPA or the GRA? Or do you just see a diary and make an assumption. In any case, you again seem to be ignoring the fact that while it is certainly inconsiderate, it is not illegal.

There appears to be a range of items bearing the Garda crest/logo. The connection, and the reasons for display, are obvious IMO. I have referred repeatedly to illegal/obnoxious parking, which I hope makes it clear where I stand on the issue.

I haven't made excuses. I've explained to you why it is not illegal and I have explained to you why it is necessary to park near the station. After continuosly demanding proof and then being supplied with it you then promptly chose to ignore the points altogether and move on to posting the registraion numbers of what you consider to be Garda owned vehciles without any proof they are Garda owned. You have also tried to misquote and misrepresent peoples opinions. It is clear that discussing this matter with you is a pointless endevour. I sincerely hope you don't work for the media because I would despair for the industry if this is the manner in which investigations are conducted and stories are written.

You made excuses for one of the obnoxious/illegal parkers, as in a sense did the two officers who walked by and ignored the footpath obstruction (which I had to go round by walking on the road with my child in a buggy). This is a daily occurrence in my neck of the woods, and on certain occasions widespread, rampant and highly-visible is not only ignored but actually facilitated by the enforcers (Local Authority and AGS). Their list of excuses is legend. My biggest objection is to the abuse of pedestrian faciities and disabled parking bays, but even this obnoxious behaviour is often studiously ignored.

EDIT: I'd also question the age of the photos as there are a number of things that would indicate to me they are quite out-dated.

Some of my pics are a few years old, but what of it? Nothing has changed, and if I went for a long walk around town I could come back with a hundred more the same (the vast majority being obnoxious/illegal parkers from the general public of course). It is self-evident, IMO, that no effective enforcement is taking place, and part of the problem is a lack of concern on the part of the enforcers. Many motorists obstruct footpaths as a matter of routine, and they seem totally confident that nobody will do anything about it. Indeed, some of them gloat about it.

LEC1.jpg

If you can't be bothered to structure your reply properly with quotes I'm not gonna spend my time trying to reply to your points individually. Like I said, you've been told why it is legal and in some cases necessary. You have ignored this and started posting random pictures that don't advance your argument in any way or dispute what you have been told.

It's hard to type with a child swinging out of me!

The photos are not random, and they speak for themselves, IMO.

Garda-van-obstructs-footpath.jpg

It's hard to type with a child swinging out of me!

The photos are not random, and they speak for themselves, IMO.

But they are pointless. Nobody has claimed this doesn't happen so i can't see why you feel the need to show us them.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

Lads all you are doing is fueling the fire, clearly this person is on a power trip, or has ulterior motives for putting these photos up, i would urge you all to stop feeding this guy, as all it doing is going around in circles, and to me they are getting great satisfaction in winding everyone up, let the thread die and so will his rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

Can we all agree that parking provision is poor for Garda stations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Thepredator

Mountain out of a molehill if you ask me. The arguement that normal members of the public will park illegally just because the guards do, doesnt wash with me. Some people have too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

G

I disagree that they are breaking the law. There is an exemption in the road traffic acts for gardai using cars in the course of their duty. Courts have previously ruled that travelling to and from work is considered being in the course of their duty so it's reasonable to assume that this would extend to the parking issue.

Do you have the case law that establishes that.

jonsnow wrote: »
    Do you have the case law that establishes that.

Can't remember the name of the case. It was about an off-duty Garda who was on his way to court in his own vehicle and was in a crash. It turned out he had no licence. The judge decided that as he was going to work he was technically acting in the course of his duty and was exempt from this requirement under the Road Traffic Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

pa990 wrote: »

Thanks. I take it no charges were brought so. I wonder would a judge have agreed with the GSOC conclusion in relation to the legislation.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Mountain out of a molehill if you ask me. The arguement that normal members of the public will park illegally just because the guards do, doesnt wash with me. Some people have too much time on their hands.

A valid point is made by the attitude and reaction to this thread. It's a common reaction in Ireland that people who point out others driving without tax, insurance, nct, illegal parking,parking in disabled bays etc are 'busy bodies', should mind their own business, have too much time on their hands etc.

There is a often culture in Ireland of if you can get away with it or cheat the system then you should and anyone who can't should mind their own business, leaving the guards fighting a losing battle against law breakers.

If we accept that culturally its fine for guards to abuse the system, why should anyone else obey laws and rules if they can get away with it?

copacetic wrote: »
    A valid point is made by the attitude and reaction to this thread. It's a common reaction in Ireland that people who point out others driving without tax, insurance, nct, illegal parking,parking in disabled bays etc are 'busy bodies', should mind their own business, have too much time on their hands etc.

There is a often culture in Ireland of if you can get away with it or cheat the system then you should and anyone who can't should mind their own business, leaving the guards fighting a losing battle against law breakers.

If we accept that culturally its fine for guards to abuse the system, why should anyone else obey laws and rules if they can get away with it?

The simple fact is that the law does not apply to Gardaí. You cannot break a law that doesn't apply to you. Other people should obey the law because it does apply to them. Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Thanks. I take it no charges were brought so. I wonder would a judge have agreed with the GSOC conclusion in relation to the legislation.

So a guy who hadn't had a license for 3 years knocks down and kills a 77 year old pensioner while driving in a buslane and the coroner throws it out on a technicality thereby setting a precedent which leads other members of AGS to believe they can park on footpaths and double yellow lines outside their stations rather than find alternative transport to work or a proper parking space?

You stay classy AGS.

The simple fact is that the law does not apply to Gardaí. You cannot break a law that doesn't apply to you. Other people should obey the law because it does apply to them. Simples

My understanding was that the law does apply to gardai's private vehicles, and the abuse of the system is claiming randomly that driving to work is part of being on duty therefore making them work vehicles meaning they can be abandonded wherever they like. It's a clear and obvious abuse of the system, claiming it isn't is laughable.

I worked on harcourt street for years and saw this every day, usually the same cars, left in the same illegal positions all day 9-5. The situation there isn't as usually as bad as pearse street though which is often actually dangerous due to the Garda parking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

mcgarrett wrote: »
    If you feel that strongly make a contribution yourself.

You can complain to the Ombudsman, C/Supt Harcourt Sq, C/Supt Pearse Street or directly to the Commissioner.

But that might involve growing a pair of balls and putting your name to a complaint as opposed to ranting anonymously on the net.

That's a great idea. Do you think he'll bother his ass? Has he got the balls to deal with the issue?

copacetic wrote: »
    My understanding was that the law does apply to gardai's private vehicles, and the abuse of the system is claiming randomly that driving to work is part of being on duty therefore making them work vehicles meaning they can be abandonded wherever they like. It's a clear and obvious abuse of the system, claiming it isn't is laughable.

I worked on harcourt street for years and saw this every day, usually the same cars, left in the same illegal positions all day 9-5. The situation there isn't as usually as bad as pearse street though which is often actually dangerous due to the Garda parking.

The link above your post would indicate your understanding of the law is incorrect.

I really hope that you are not actually a Garda! I really do!

Can you advise where is law it says the law does not apply?

Will this "free kicker: say that the law doesn't apply to him? Garda on a drink driving and no tax on his car charge: Evening Herald

Obviously, a more serious charge then parking on a pavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

BrianD wrote: »
    That's a great idea. Do you think he'll bother his ass? Has he got the balls to deal with the issue?

Surely the Gardai management are aware of the issue. The problem seems to be that is no provision for them to park which is an issue for the government agency that built them a workplace without enough parking spaces. Pearse street in particular, its embarrassing.

Are the gardai officers replying in this thread happy to be parking out on the street or would they prefer to keep the situation as is? Surely if your cars are getting vandalised so often (as suggested by a previous poster) then you would agree that this is a problem that should be resolved and not simply maintain the status quo.

Unbelievable stuff, was there criminal charges brought against him separately?

Big difference here, this guy was using his car in the course of his duty.

BrianD wrote: »
    I really hope that you are not actually a Garda! I really do!

Can you advise where is law it says the law does not apply?

Will this "free kicker: say that the law doesn't apply to him? Garda on a drink driving and no tax on his car charge: Evening Herald

Obviously, a more serious charge then parking on a pavement.

Have you read the thread? The legislation has already been posted, as has a link to a story which confirms it applies to private vehicles too. i suggest you read the full thread and educate yourself before reposting.

If you bother to read the legislation you will see that it specifically states that the exemption does not apply to drink driving legislation.

The link above your post would indicate your understanding of the law is incorrect.

No, it doesn't, not in the slightest.

doopa wrote: »
    Surely the Gardai management are aware of the issue. The problem seems to be that is no provision for them to park which is an issue for the government agency that built them a workplace without enough parking spaces. Pearse street in particular, its embarrassing.

Are the gardai officers replying in this thread happy to be parking out on the street or would they prefer to keep the situation as is? Surely if your cars are getting vandalised so often (as suggested by a previous poster) then you would agree that this is a problem that should be resolved and not simply maintain the status quo.

There is no requirement for the Garda management or the Government to provide staff car parking facilities. None at all! It would be entirely unreasonable to think that they should!! The only car parking spaces should be for official vehicles, perhaps visitors/deliveries and then whatever else should be on whatever system the station thinks is appropriate - perhaps senior members, first come first served or whatever suits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

So a guy who hadn't had a license for 3 years knocks down and kills a 77 year old pensioner while driving in a buslane and the coroner throws it out on a technicality thereby setting a precedent which leads other members of AGS to believe they can park on footpaths and double yellow lines outside their stations rather than find alternative transport to work or a proper parking space?

You stay classy AGS.

It's not a technicality that one should never step out on to a road unless the way is clear.

• Advertisement

Have you read the thread? The legislation has already been posted, as has a link to a story which confirms it applies to private vehicles too. i suggest you read the full thread and educate yourself before reposting.

If you bother to read the legislation you will see that it specifically states that the exemption does not apply to drink driving legislation.

Linky please...only link I find is to the Indo article.

The only thing of note here is something that we knew all along. Many Gardai drive without licences or training under "chiefs permission".

It would seem bizarre that we would have a system that would not require a Garda driving a car not to have a licence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement