Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Champion photo supplement 1962

Options
  • 16-01-2012 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

This supplement came with the Champion on Jan. 4th featuring some fantastic photos from Sligo 50 years ago.
    But one photo intrigues me. It's titled "Gauldings at Drumcliffe in 1962" showing a group of people apparently heading down a lane.
    What are Gauldings or what is gaulding?
    I've asked a number of people who would have been around at the time and nobody can throw any light on it. No dictionary or online search that I've tried has any reference to it either.
    Can anybody help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭OhYesItIs

One meaning of the word "gaulding" is:
    "Chaffing of the skin from clothing rubbing such as in the groin area".
    But I know thats not what your looking for. :D
    I've done a search of the word "Gaulding" as a name, but it doesnt appear as a name in Drumcliffe Church Cemetry Headstones for either RC or C of I.
    "Gaulding" is a name though, but not a common one. The name is of German origin.
    1901 Irish Census, 3 persons by name of Gaulding in Ireland. 1911 Census nil persons name of Gaulding in Ireland. Although the name Gaulding seems to appear in place names and family names in America, but thats no surprise..
    1911 Uk Census, 17 persons name of Gaulding...no obvious Irish connection.
    Wild guess, group of German/American/British visitors to Drumcliffe?
    Check out the actual paper the photo was taken from? perhaps theres a story to it in there?

Havent seen the Champ yet...good luck with the research..

PS: I also checked out possible name spelt incorrectly as either Goulding or Galding or Golding, no joy there either.

Advertisement