Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladies only Gyms... a sexism uturn, or a refuge?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

If a man chose a male only golf club would you consider him sexiest? if he chose it for the same reasons you chose your female only gym?

Male only gym isn't a terribly interesting question. What do people think of a straight male only gym?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Are there any male only gyms? Not that I'm aware of, maybe power lifting gyms are male dominated but I doubt they'd turn any serious female weight lifter away.

I have no idea, I was merely pointing out that legally there is nothing to stop there being any, bar lack of demand...
    If something is male only it'll be heavily criticized, it's quite hypocritical in my view

You mean like female-only is being criticized here? Hardly hypocritical, more dog-in-the-manger, if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

So what is the issue exactly?
    • Women should have women-only gyms because they feel self-conscious training in front of men?
    • Women should have women-only gyms because there are so many evil, nasty men out there who are going to leer at and/or harass them?
    The former might make sense but probably doesn't justify women-only gyms - more a readjustment of attitude and a sorting out ones self-esteem. The latter is misandry, pure and simple.

There seems to be a mix of opinions here. But those who believe that women should have women-only gyms because so many men are harassing, leery and aggressive... well, quite frankly, that opinion makes me sick to my stomach and makes me wonder what the hell is going on in the mind of the contemporary Irish woman. Do you really distrust/hate men so much?

If Portmarnock GC decide they don't want women members because they're all bitchy and obnoxious/talk too loudly and annoy the male members, would that kind of sexist generalisation wash? No, it would be considered massively misogynistic.

I weep for the future, so I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

If we can, and people consider that ok, a male only gym should be equally acceptable. Anything short of that is the true sexism... Equality is not just between the sexes, but amongst them. Members of each sex should be allowed to live and enjoy life in whatever way they please as long as it does not infringe on the rights of another to do the same.

If men want a male only space for exersise, and the demand is there, someone should be able to cater for it without cries of sexism. We have single sex schools, teams, toilets, changing areas, because the sexes have different needs and desires. Some consider that antiquated, but unless they are willing to practice what they preach, they should put up, or shut up.

I've exersised and done intensive physical training with both men and women together when I was with the British territorial army whilst at university... I'm perfectly happy to do it, but you know? it would be nice for many reasons to go to a female only gym, but I wouldn't shy from the usual mixed kind anymore than Id choose it.

Leering, 'meat markets' and the body image/ shyness reasons aside, having spent time in the TA doing PT with just other women, its a WHOLE different atmosphere, and I don't mean varying levels of fitness, or weight, but it was really encouraging, and friendly, and was a real social bonding experience.

(personal opinon)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

If a woman feels uncomfortable around men when shes working out it's entirely her prerogative if she wants to go to a female only gym or whatever. I think if there's a demand for something then it should be supplied, within reason of course, and this applies to women's gyms.

I would say however that I think this does play into the whole attitude that women are the "fairer" sex and need their own special area where they can feel safe, away from the eyes of men. Women do sometimes make me uncomfortable in gyms, especially in sauna/steam room. It's sometimes very noticeable how some women are uncomfortable being around guys they don't know in this environment, and it's really not a pleasant feeling knowing how uneasy you are making someone just by being there. Sometimes I almost feel like apologising for entering the room.

Standman wrote: »
    I would say however that I think this does play into the whole attitude that women are the "fairer" sex and need their own special area where they can feel safe, away from the eyes of men.

That suggests to me that men are considered 'unsafe' and, quite frankly, I find that highly insulting. Having said that, some men are unsafe. Some women are dangerous too. That's a fact of life unfortunately. Segregating the sexes purely due to the insinuation that men are potentially dangerous is extremely sexist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

What are women friendly machines?

Well, this is the curves style circuit they have in the women's section of the gym I used to go to.

IMG_0001.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

All it can take is 1% of the men that use the gym to be ill mannered and think that staring/leering or making comments is ok to put off enough of the women who'd use the gym. It can create a very uncomfortable atmosphere

Sharrow wrote: »
    All it can take is 1% of the men that use the gym to be ill mannered and think that staring/leering or making comments is ok to put off enough of the women who'd use the gym. It can create a very uncomfortable atmosphere

Report them to management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

I'm loving my "gym" even more from all of this, I would be crushed if they kicked us minority women folk out. Then again I would say that most of us there are there to train, & train hard, none of the nonsense you see in some commercial gyms.

Report them to management.

Do you really think the staff give a fúck and want to deal with it?

The Management/owners won't want the hassle or the rep of the place being tarnished or any chance of a law suit. People who sign a contract and stop going and still have to pay are the management's ideal customers.

A person who is going to have such bad manners and stray outsides societies normal behaviours to do that may also decide to not conform to other socail graces and manners. Who wants the creepy guy from the gym bearing a grudge cos you reported him to staff and there was a scene?

Saying report it is easily said, hard to do and can be hard to prove.
    esp when there are people all to ready to try and say it's all in a woman's head or that she could get over it,
    which we have already seen in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I'd say single sex facilities are deemed okay because even though society doesn't allow outright discrimination on gender grounds, it also recognises that there are some differences between men and women. Whether that's right or wrong, or whether it will come to be seen as wrong in the future remains to be seen.

In the meantime though, I'd see it as being an extension of the reasoning for single sex changing rooms or toilets, not to mention things like support or counselling services specifically for men/women.

I'd also have to call into question the OP's assertion that a male only gym wouldn't be allowed. The reason you've never seen one is probably that there's not enough demand among men to justify setting one up. I'll concede that if it wasn't allowed, it would make the idea of womens' gyms sexist, but I don't think that's the case. After all, I believe there are male-only golf clubs out there. The reasoning's the same, just with the genders reversed.

Not sure I said it wouldn't be allowed... if it was said in my original post, it may have been a quote from my boyfriend with whom I hadf the original debate. Personally, I definitely think it SHOULD be, if not already in existence. I can however see some groups attacking male only spaces out of a misguided sense of feminism (Not all male only spaces are 'opressing our rights to be equals') whilst patently ignoring the irony of thier stance.

Male only spaces blocking equality goes back to 'old boys clubs' (some of which were golf clubs) were women were not permitted and men would talk shop and network in a way which was not done else were so that women never got a foot in the door.

There is a huge difference between that and places which are gendered for a reason,
    like testicular cancer support groups, male victims of rape or partner abuse groups, hysterectomy support groups ect.

Yes women only sections in gyms are slight different in the reason they are being set up would be due to it being impossible to police the arseholes who make women uncomfortable, yes it would be wonderful and liberating to live in a world were that doesn't happen or were it's easily tackled so the imperfect solution is women only spaces.

Yes is the same type of reasoning which if taken to an extreme leads to us all wearing burkas but, it sounds like your chap is an idealist who doesn't get while he may behave like a gentleman many other's don't and this is the imperfect world we have to try and live in, and it doesn't mean the gym thinks he is an arsehole but should just hope that we all evolve a little more eventually.

Could straight men petition to have homosexual men banned from certain gyms because they find them threatening and a creepy? No. There would be uproar. Advocating women only gyms on the same basis is no different.

As I said before - misandry, pure and simple.

• Advertisement

Yes is the same type of reasoning which if taken to an extreme leads to us all wearing burkas but, it sounds like your chap is an idealist who doesn't get while he may behave like a gentleman many other's don't and this is the imperfect world we have to try and live in, and it doesn't mean the gym thinks he is an arsehole but should just hope that we all evolve a little more eventually.

Nonsense in fairness. My last full-time job was in a female dominated company and there was a horrific amount of bitchyness, bullying and psychological abuse - notably by female staff and management against the minority male employees. Should I advocate that we have male-only companies because of this? No, I wouldn't. Sure I'd be labeled a misogynistic lunatic for even suggesting such a thing. At any rate, I would never label all women as callous and nasty as those I previously worked with/for. But the rationale of women-only gyms for the purpose of 'keeping the bad, creepy men out' is precisely the same kind of discrimination. I don't know how anyone can justify it as anything other than pure sexism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

Could straight men petition to have homosexual men banned from certain gyms because they find them threatening and a creepy? No. There would be uproar. Advocating women only gyms on the same basis is no different.

As I said before - misandry, pure and simple.
    You know, I love it when someone changes my position. Thanks Ickle :)

For a moment, forget about misogyny and misandry. Think only of ecenomics.
    If you open a women only gym, will they go? Yes

If you open a man only gym, will they go? Probably not.
    Ecenomics ....

Me personally, I wouldn't care, which ever was closest would be the one I'd go to. If the only one near me for miles was woman only, then I might do something

Well if you were in the gym and noticed a person leering would you say anything to them?

Nonsense in fairness. My last full-time job was in a female dominated company and there was a horrific amount of bitchyness, bullying and psychological abuse - notably by female staff and management against the minority male employees. Should I advocate that we have male-only companies because of this? No, I wouldn't. Sure I'd be labeled a misogynistic lunatic for even suggesting such a thing. At any rate, I would never label all women as callous and nasty as those I previously worked with/for. But the rationale of women-only gyms for the purpose of 'keeping the bad, creepy men out' is precisely the same kind of discrimination. I don't know how anyone can justify it as anything other than pure sexism.

Clearly you missed the part about it possibly being barely 1% of men?

And there are clear rules and guideline and indeed laws for bullying in the work place, there is not for gyms.

Ecenomics ....

By your logic then it's okay for Dublin bus to refuse immigrants and ethnic minorities on some routes... if there's enough of a demand for it by the indigenous white Irish population. It sounds like an extreme example but it's precisely what you're saying. You can't just discriminate against people, even men, just because there's a profit to be had.

• Advertisement

Well if you were in the gym and noticed a person leering would you say anything to them?
    Depends, as much on my humour as anything else. I might stare at them, while scratching my noise with one finger.

If it was a woman I think I might smile and wave, then finger and turn away.

Or I might feel very awkward, and leave. :)

Ecenomics ....

By your logic then it's okay for Dublin bus to refuse immigrants and ethnic minorities on some routes... if there's enough of a demand for it by the indigenous white Irish population. It sounds like an extreme example but it's precisely what you're saying. You can't just discriminate against people, even men, just because there's a profit to be had.

No that's not what I'm saying, I'm saying if a bus route was un economical, it would be canceled, as I believe some recently were.

Some thing with a male only gym, no members, so it closes....

This I think can be blamed on men, and men only :D

Firekitten wrote: »
    Not sure I said it wouldn't be allowed... if it was said in my original post, it may have been a quote from my boyfriend with whom I hadf the original debate.

Quite possibly. Apologies if I misread you. That's the danger of skim-reading!
    Personally, I definitely think it SHOULD be, if not already in existence. I can however see some groups attacking male only spaces out of a misguided sense of feminism (Not all male only spaces are 'opressing our rights to be equals') whilst patently ignoring the irony of thier stance.

You may well be right about this. I'd be quite curious to see whether the law would side with them or not, though I suspect it wouldn't.

Clearly you missed the part about it possibly being barely 1% of men?

Exactly. 1% of men, if it's even that many, and women-only gyms discriminate against all men. That's why it's called discrimination.
    And there are clear rules and guideline and indeed laws for bullying in the work place, there is not for gyms.

I'm pretty sure there are laws against harassment in all walks of life. A quiet word in the ear of a gym instructor or manager that a certain cretin is leering at women and making them feel uncomfortable is all that's needed to bring it to their attention. If he's making a habit of it, he'll be caught out. In my 10 years as a gym instructor, I never heard a report of any harassment and, most importantly, never saw any men acting inappropriately. You catch the odd guy catching a peek at a nice looking girl once in a while. The same goes for women looking at men. It's human nature. It doesn't call for discrimination and the thinly veiled stigmatisation of men.

yes you can.

yes you can.

Well yeah, if you're discriminating against men. Women, ehtnic minorities, homosexuals, etc. get special dispensation. :rolleyes:

No that's not what I'm saying, I'm saying if a bus route was un economical, it would be canceled, as I believe some recently were.

Some thing with a male only gym, no members, so it closes....

This I think can be blamed on men, and men only :D

Yes but my point is that businesses have a legal obligation not to discriminate against anyone. Although the law seems to have a pretty apathetic view on what constitutes discrimination against men.

Anyway, that's my 2c. Discrimination in all its forms is wrong and unethical. Even if it's thinly veiled sexism masquerading as victimisation.

Well yeah, if you're discriminating against men. Women, ehtnic minorities, homosexuals, etc. get special dispensation. :rolleyes:

Are you against the idea of businesses being able to discriminate between the genders where demand requires it, or are you annoyed at the perceived double standard where it would not be as easily accepted were the genders reversed in this situation? Because they are two different things you need to clarify between. Personally I think businesses should be free to discriminate if there is enough demand for something, as long as it is within reason and the law. That doesn't mean that I agree that women only gyms are a good thing, it just means that I accept their right to exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭stanley1

same topic, womens mini-marathon, never seen a mens mini-marathon.

Are you against the idea of businesses being able to discriminate between the genders where demand requires it, or are you annoyed at the perceived double standard where it would not be as easily accepted were the genders reversed in this situation?

I'm annoyed that businesses should be allowed to discriminate against men based on the perceived notion that men pose a significant threat to women. You can't discriminate against an entire gender because of an offensive and abhorrent stereotype.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

stanley1 wrote: »
    same topic, womens mini-marathon, never seen a mens mini-marathon.

This years one was on May 2nd actually.

??????????????????

I'm annoyed that businesses should be allowed to discriminate against men based on the perceived notion that men pose a significant threat to women. You can't discriminate against an entire gender because of an offensive and abhorrent stereotype.

I was under the impression that women only gyms are in demand mainly because many women feel uncomfortable working out in front of the opposite sex, not because men pose a "significant threat". These women just don't like to be watched by men while they work out and it's entirely their prerogative.

As a man I do not feel discriminated against because the existence of female only gyms does not affect me negatively in any way. I can understand the argument against women getting a "women only section" in a mixed gym where both genders pay the same fee but one gender gets access to more machines, in this case it is really a case of unfairness due to discrimination.

This is not about men, it's about some women's own insecurities.

Gauge wrote: »
    This years one was on May 2nd actually.

won't be doin that one, too elitest.

It's not really the same thing, though. You can't tell anything about a persons transport needs from their nationality or ethnicity, so there's no valid reason to have Irish-only bus routes.

It is, however, generally accepted that you can make certain assumptions a person based on gender in certain contexts - men will generally be physically stronger, so we often have separate male and female sporting divisions; women will often have different taste in literature than men, so there are women's and men's book clubs (I think! I'm almost positive I've heard of them). Hell, on this very site there are two gender-based discussion forums, though admittedly neither of them are exclusive to one gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

As I already stated I have no problem with single sex gyms, as long as they exist for both sexes. It is not about demand or business acumen its about the hypocrisy of some women advocating female only gyms yet denying males the same rights. Denying a man membership of a gym on the grounds that his presence will embarrass some women is as ludicrous as denying women equality in golf clubs. To argue otherwise is disingenuous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yes there would be uproar from some women if there were a men only gym - although the reason for a women only gym is a request for it, not "misandry". :rolleyes:
    So why isn't there uproar over this from men? Oh yeah that's right - much easier to bitch and moan and blame "the" feminists. At least they actually get out there and complain if they've a gripe (even if I don't agree with them a lot of the time).
    There is of course also the victimhood of the white man to navel-gaze over - yeah sure, they're never presidents or prime ministers or powerful businessmen. :D
    Seriously though, men do face discrimination and sexism when it comes to certain aspects of life, but to maintain that they are in general a terribly downtrodden group, wake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

It's not really the same thing, though. You can't tell anything about a persons transport needs from their nationality or ethnicity, so there's no valid reason to have Irish-only bus routes.

It is, however, generally accepted that you can make certain assumptions a person based on gender in certain contexts - men will generally be physically stronger, so we often have separate male and female sporting divisions; women will often have different taste in literature than men, so there are women's and men's book clubs (I think! I'm almost positive I've heard of them). Hell, on this very site there are two gender-based discussion forums, though admittedly neither of them are exclusive to one gender.

How about white only gyms because white people are scared of blacks?

psinno wrote: »
    How about white only gyms because white people are scared of blacks?

But white people aren't generally scared of black people. Just a handful of racists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

But white people aren't generally scared of black people. Just a handful of racists.

I think that's rather the poster's point.

Dudess wrote: »
    Yes there would be uproar from some women if there were a men only gym - although the reason for a women only gym is a request for it, not "misandry". :rolleyes:
    So why isn't there uproar over this from men? Oh yeah that's right - much easier to bitch and moan and blame "the" feminists. At least they actually get out there and complain if they've a gripe (even if I don't agree with them a lot of the time).
    There is of course also the victimhood of the white man to navel-gaze over - yeah sure, they're never presidents or prime ministers or powerful businessmen. :D
    Seriously though, men do face discrimination and sexism when it comes to certain aspects of life, but to maintain that they are in general a terribly downtrodden group, wake up.

I think the issue, rather than being downtrodden, is that men are sick and tired of being tarred with the same 'sex pest' brush. Claiming that women need women-only gyms because there are so many 'perverts' out there is highly offensive to the vast majority of men.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

On top of that, as there is nothing stopping men from having men-only gyms and mixed gyms do still exist, there seems to be little point, logically or fiscally, in purposefully denying a choice.

I honestly think this whole line of reasoning is a completely fallacious argument. While women often won't want to go to a mixed gym to be intimidated by a small section of the male populace, men are much less likely (it's virtually negligible) to be intimidated by these women than they are by the same men. And these men are likely to take umbrage at the insinuation that just because they're men women will want to avoid them or feel threatened by them.

I honestly think this whole line of reasoning is a completely fallacious argument. While women often won't want to go to a mixed gym to be intimidated by a small section of the male populace, men are much less likely (it's virtually negligible) to be intimidated by these women than they are by the same men. And these men are likely to take umbrage at the insinuation that just because they're men women will want to avoid them or feel threatened by them.

Precisely.

It's no different to men making sweeping generalisations about women and asking for women to be discriminated against as a result. My previous example - if men asked women not to be employed, or to have men-only companies established, because of the fear of excessive psychological abuse, bullying and bitching by women. Obviously that would be an insanity but it's the very same thing. Asking for an entire gender to be discriminated against because of an offensive stereotype which paints all men/women as abusive. It's sickening.

And yes, there is a difference between same sex gyms and men and women-only sports teams before anyone brings that ridiculous argument up again. Men and women have natural differences in physique. Therefore, both sexes would generally agree, that it makes sense to segregate the genders in sport. For safety reasons more than anything else. Businesses however, including gyms, have a (loose) legal obligation not to discriminate against anyone.

Precisely.

It's no different to men making sweeping generalisations about women and asking for women to be discriminated against as a result. My previous example - if men asked women not to be employed, or to have men-only companies established, because of the fear of excessive psychological abuse, bullying and bitching by women. Obviously that would be an insanity but it's the very same thing. Asking for an entire gender to be discriminated against because of an offensive stereotype which paints all men/women as abusive. It's sickening.

And yes, there is a difference between same sex gyms and men and women-only sports teams before anyone brings that ridiculous argument up again. Men and women have natural differences in physique. Therefore, both sexes would generally agree, that it makes sense to segregate the genders in sport. For safety reasons more than anything else. Businesses however, including gyms, have a (loose) legal obligation not to discriminate against anyone.

Ok, then fight it, join a woman only gym, when refused, take them to court :)
    Any one remember the pub that was sued because they refused travellers?

Although, I have to say, women who go to these gyms are wrong. They should be fighting for equality. Just like men joined in when women were fighting for equal rights, they should acknowledge that not all men are pervs, and refuse to join.

women are wrong for joining a women only gym? that's a tad out of order...

and its not just to do with 'pervy guys' as has been made plain in this thread... you're riding this hobby horse pretty hard tbh.

• Advertisement

Firekitten wrote: »
    women are wrong for joining a women only gym? that's a tad out of order...

and its not just to do with 'pervy guys' as has been made plain in this thread... you're riding this hobby horse pretty hard tbh.

OK, then skip the reason for not wanting men in the gym ....

Everyone should refuse to join anything which discriminates against anyone, for any reason. Regardless of whether you are discriminated for or against.
    Otherwise discrimination will continue.

The definition of discrimination
    "dis·crim·i·na·tion/disˌkriməˈnāSHən/
    Noun:
    The unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, esp. on the grounds of race, age, or sex.
    Recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and another."

Ok, you can't use the men's toilet, you can't use the men's changing rooms, even if you're desperate!you must find and use a unisex toilet... you can change in the coridor, hey, its equal right?

You're picking ONE reason, and riding it to destruction, there are multiple reasons, and the simple fact that something is single sex, does not make it discriminatory by default. I suppose you disaprove of single sex schools too? If so, you should stop playing or watching sports ... starts getting silly doesn't it?

I think the issue, rather than being downtrodden, is that men are sick and tired of being tarred with the same 'sex pest' brush. Claiming that women need women-only gyms because there are so many 'perverts' out there is highly offensive to the vast majority of men.

I can understand that, so what are you going to do about it?
    Rail at women or start conversations with other men how about being creepy is not cool and seek to change society so that it is utterly unacceptable.
    Ok, then fight it, join a woman only gym, when refused, take them to court :)
    Any one remember the pub that was sued because they refused travellers?

Although, I have to say, women who go to these gyms are wrong. They should be fighting for equality. Just like men joined in when women were fighting for equal rights, they should acknowledge that not all men are pervs, and refuse to join.

Because there are only so many hours in the the day and we only have so much engry and sometimes we don't want to have to gear up and fight we just want to work out, distress and go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

The Equality Status Act prevents discriminisation outside of employment on 9 grounds. Gender being one.

2. Goods and Services
    2.1 What is Prohibited?
    People cannot discriminate (subject to certain exemptions):
    • when they are providing goods and services to the public
    (or a section of the public);
    • whether these are free or where the goods and services
    are sold, hired or rented or exchanged;
    • access to and the use of services is covered.
    2.2 What is a Service?
    A service is a facility or service (of any nature) including
    facilities for:
    • banking, insurance, grants, loans, credit or financing;
    • entertainment, recreation or refreshment;
    • cultural activities;
    • transport or travel;
    a service or facility provided by a club (which is available
    to the public or a section of the public);

• a professional trade or service.

2.4 Different Treatment is Allowed
    The Acts allow for people to be treated differently in certain
    circumstances.
    (i) Exemptions on the ground of gender
    The Acts allow people to be treated differently on the gender
    ground in relation to:
    (a) Cosmetic services
    Covering cosmetic, aesthetic or similar services which
    involve physical contact (e.g. hairdressing).
    (b) Privacy/embarrassment
    Where embarrassment or breach of privacy could
    reasonably be expected to happen on account of the
    presence of a person of another gender

I don't think this allows for a single sex gym and would seem to apply to toilet and changing facilities.

Plenty exist...and have for years, if its clearly a breach of the law, why have they not been closed or protested? or women's book clubs, or the Irish countrywomen's Association...

There's plenty already in Ireland... its not theoretical;
    Ladies fitness centre
    Curves
    Ultimate Woman Fitness
    Women's Fitness

To name but four I found with a quick google search.

Women's fitness claims to be Cork's biggest women only gym... this suggests there are many around, surely something so 'grossly sexist' and 'illegal' would have been dealt with by now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement