Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microwave popcorn popper

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

all you ened to make popcorn in microwave is a brown paper bag. no oil or anything.

look at the movies on youtube. you can reuse the bags too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Second the brown paper bag method... even a microwaveable bowl with a lid will do the same thing!

That yoke on amazon looks like its just a clear microwaveable bowl!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

cool I'll give it a go, remember reading about it before but forgot about it... I've none here at the min... i'll try an old container from the Chinese! i'll have to get some brown paper bags i think!

EDIT: Yeah that works great, no oil,.. box a bit shallow though so had to stop before all popped... grand for making a small portion though.. when i used the saucepan i normally ended up with loads... and then u just eat them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mrswalton

Paper bag method the best, cheapest, easiest and healthiest.

You may notice that bought microwave popcorn tastes even saltier, and no matter how much salt you put on the paper bag method it doesn't quite make it.

If you can be bothered, powdered salt works great. Don't have to buy it, just put reg table salt in a pestle and morter give it a few bashes.

Less salt more salty taste!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 topsandtails

If you search on amazon.co.uk and select free shipping on left hand side, there are quite a few similar ones!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_i_0?rh=k%3Apopcorn+maker%2Cp_76%3A1-%2Ci%3Akitchen&keywords=popcorn+maker&ie=UTF8&qid=1327487977

I love popcorn!

You should try it with melted coconut oil and nutritional yeast.. seriously good for you and seriously delicious!

• Advertisement

mrswalton wrote: »
    Paper bag method the best, cheapest, easiest and healthiest.

You may notice that bought microwave popcorn tastes even saltier, and no matter how much salt you put on the paper bag method it doesn't quite make it.

If you can be bothered, powdered salt works great. Don't have to buy it, just put reg table salt in a pestle and morter give it a few bashes.

Less salt more salty taste!!!

The plastic Chinese takeaway box is working well for me! Handy as you can have a small portion... see what you mean about the salt, I'd imagine that without the oil the salt is less inclined to stick!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You should try it with melted coconut oil and nutritional yeast.. seriously good for you and seriously delicious!
    Lots of cinemas are meant to use coconut oil. Coconut oil is very good for you, but also has good properties when it melts. It is solid at room temp but liquid at body temp, so it gives it a good consistency/mouthfeel.

rubadub wrote: »
    I read up more on making perfect popcorn and made the my best batch of popcorn ever last night.

Put in plenty of coconut oil in the saucepan and put salt in from the start-I used a high dome pressure cooker with the lid loosely on unless shaking, the large volume allows it to breathe and shake easily. I started it with no lid on with the corn in from cold, swirling the corn around to heat it evenly, this allows excess steam to come off. Once 2 kernels popped I took it off the heat for 60seconds. This allows it all come to an even temp, then put it back on and a medium to high heat and it all pops.

When popping I leave the lid off a bit to allow it breathe, I read this is important to stop it becoming moist with steam. Putting salt in from the start means it is evenly coated and worked well, putting lots of coconut oil in means it heats evenly and gets coated sort of like putting on butter afterwards.

Only had a few unpopped kernels, and lovely fully expanded popcorn.

Also found this!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 18 topsandtails

Lots of cinemas are meant to use coconut oil. Coconut oil is very good for you, but also has good properties when it melts. It is solid at room temp but liquid at body temp, so it gives it a good consistency/mouthfeel.

I's the best.. I could honestly live on the stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Regarding the usage of coconut oil, this may sound very stupid, but does the popcorn then end up tasting like coconut? (I ask since peanut oil, for example, doesn't have a strong peanut taste).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

Popcorn maker in Lidl on Monday for €15. Might have some left.

• Advertisement

I am so very glad I found this thread!
    I never knew you could pop regular popcorn in the microwave. I'm rather excited by this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I am so very glad I found this thread!
    I never knew you could pop regular popcorn in the microwave. I'm rather excited by this :D

Me too! When I shared the revelation with the GF she looked at me like I was an idiot (as in, how did I not know that!).

A few tips i've gained from my own limited experience doing it in the microwave are:
    - Be careful to not get too greedy with the amount of kernels you put in, as they tend to burn if you put a good few in then operate by the "wait until the popping slows to 2 seconds between pops" rule
    - Don't use sellotape to hold the bag closed (if using a paper bag to hold the kernels in the microwave) as it will start to spark. I've read staples will work ok, but can't confirm this. I break a wooden skewer up and use that.
    - Coconut oil is the absolute business (and no, the popcorn doesn't end up tasting like coconuts, as I had feared initially)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mrswalton

I've been popping in the microwave for a while, i'll just add my tuppence worth.

1. I wouldn't/havn't used staples.

2. When you buy a shirt in a folded packet, there are about 4 plastic clips per shirt holding it onto the cardboard. I put them into the jar where i keep the kernals so they are handy. I fold over the bag and secure with plastic clip!

3. Last week i picked up money off coupons in Dunnes by the Kelkin popcorn for 50c off. €1.39 down to 89c! For a bag that will last for ages. (even if you have some practically every night)

4. Have put coconut oil on my shopping list.

Thanks.

where do I get this stuff? Coudln't find it in tesco, either online or instore...

Do Dunnes have it? looking for somewhere in Longford/Mullingar area! I never even knew it existed before this thread!

where do I get this stuff? Coudln't find it in tesco, either online or instore...

Do dunnes have it? looking for somewhere in Longford/Mullingar area! I never even new it existed before this thread!

Do dunnes have it?
    Some dunnes do, I doubt smaller ones would. It is not usually with other oils when I see it, sometimes it is near health food stuff so you have to ask. It is good for you, some people eat tablespoons of the stuff.

It should be got in Asian shops too, thats where I get mine cheap. Health food shops should have it but usually charge ridiculous amounts.

Some dunnes do, I doubt smaller ones would. It is not usually with other oils when I see it, sometimes it is near health food stuff so you have to ask. It is good for you, some people eat tablespoons of the stuff.

It should be got in Asian shops too, thats where I get mine cheap. Health food shops should have it but usually charge ridiculous amounts.

Thanks... saw it on amazon but had to order 6 250ml bottles (http://www.amazon.co.uk/KTC-Pure-Coconut-Oil-Pack/dp/B006MVW5BS/ref=sr_1_5?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1329732485&sr=1-5).. a bit over kill as I don't know how much i'll use or how long it stays in date for!

Maybe I should have asked in tesco so as I checked where all the oils were so it could have been somewhere else! Pretty sure there's an asian shop in Longford so I'll check in there... thanks for the info!

Maybe I should have asked in tesco
    I never heard of it being in tesco, it is only recently enough in dunnes. If you are registered you can search your local tesco online. That KTC brand is one you often see in the asian shops, it is not virgin oil which is what most health food shops have (and why they are so expensive). I use non-virgin.

Advertisement