Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everybody else is doing it, so why not me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Monday 26/3/2012

56:10 Min Run, 10.2km, Pace 5.30 m/km, AHR 158, MHR 182

The plan today was to just do a steady run for 60 mins. The first ten minutes felt really good so I changed my plan and decided pick it up a bit and see what kind of PB I could set for this regular training route, thereby giving a gauge for the future.

While I felt it for the last few minutes I think I could have done a lot better if I really pushed it. Like I said, the first 10 minutes were done quite easy as a warm up and I feel 100% ten minutes after finishing so I'm hopeful that I'll manage my 55m for the 10k race in two weeks time.

While it's nothing to get excited about, at least I now have a PB to work from for the future. This weather is just superb though, makes the whole world just seem a bit better.

Tuesday 27/3/2012

150 Min Bike, 41.00 km, Av Spd 16.4 kmh, AHR 132, MHR 172

Slieve Blooms - The Cut and The Wolftrap - 539m Climbed

I had planned to do these climbs a few times over the next couple of months in preparation for the Mount Leinster Challenge and the Sean Kelly Tour.

I drove them on Sunday as a recce and to be honest they scared the bejaysus out of me. I had myself nearly convinced not to do it as I had a tough 10k run yesterday and still felt it a little in the legs. I was home at 9am and the day was just fabulous so I threw the bike in the car and headed for Kinnitty before I had a chance to talk myself out of it.

I have never experienced any kind of a decent climb before so didn't know what to expect. All the perceived wisdom was to pick a nice easy gear and get into a steady rhythm so that's exactly what I tried to do. This proved to work quite well on The Cut as it's a nice steady climb all the but The Wolftrap was a different beast altogether. Constant changes in gradient and some really steep bits thrown in for good measure. Still, I managed to get over both of them without stopping or walking (apart from some photos at the top) so I'm as proud as punch of myself. :D

529887_3604386909936_1281523119_33496207_970642591_n.jpg

A climber I'm certainly not but I did it nonetheless and it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. All the training must be paying off. Before I do the SKT in August I hope to be able to do 2 laps of this route.

Wednesday 28/3/2012

245 Min Bike, 94.36 km, Av Spd 23.1 kmh, AHR 127, MHR 162

Probably not the wisest decision to do my longest ever ride after yesterday's session in the mountains, but I just couldn't waste another day like that. I even got a little burnt on my arms, but nothing to worry about.

My legs felt absolutely fantastic for most of it but a little fatigue started to set in towards the end, but nothing more than that, no pain of any description. On the plus side every hill I met today looked a hell of a lot smaller than they used to.

Thursday 29/3/2012

69 Min Run, 10.2km, Pace 6.46 m/km, AHR 144, MHR 160

Friday 30/3/2012

84 Min Bike, 32.23 km, Av Spd 23.3 kmh, AHR 128, MHR 157

Mad busy over the weekend and just couldn't manage anything more for the week, so hit my bike target for the week but came up 30 minutes short on my run targets, first time this year to miss a run so I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

Totals for Week 13

Run 125 mins
    Bike 478 mins

YTD Totals

Run 1420 mins
    Bike 2988 mins

Tuesday 3/4/2012

62 Min Run, 10.2km, Pace 6.05 m/km, AHR 157, MHR 182

Seriously fatigued after a mental weekend and wasn't feeling great so spent all day yesterday on the sofa.

Forced myself out the door this morning, and wasn't loving it for the first 20 minutes, but eventually got into my stride and enjoyed it by the end. Ignored my HR and just ran as I felt like it.

Thursday 5/4/2012

51 Min Run, 8.2km, Pace 6.13 m/km, AHR 143, MHR 158

Keeping it really easy this week as my first official 10k race is coming up on Monday.

I have always struggled to keep my easy runs below an AHR of 145 and Couerdelion suggested that the music I'm listening to could be a factor and that I should try some podcasts or audio books instead. I don't want to spend money on audio books just yet and any free ones I could find weren't to my liking.

So, I did some research and came across this site www.marathontalk.com and downloaded their latest podcast. I really enjoyed listening to it and the time really flew by. I happily plodded along at a nice slow pace until I reached home. Thanks Courdelion.

Friday 6/4/2012

82 Min Bike, 32.23 km, Av Spd 23.5 kmh, AHR 129, MHR 160

Haven't got out on the bike at all this week, but I had an opening this afternoon so went for a quick spin. Nothing exciting to report.

Once I get my first 10K race out of the way on Monday I'll hopefully get back to hammering the pedals again.

Sunday 8/4/2012

20 Min Run, ? km, Pace ? m/km, AHR 139, MHR 178

Race tomorrow so just did 20 minutes this morning around a local track to loosen the legs. All at a really easy pace except for 2 laps at a higher pace to get a bit of speed into the legs. I haven't done any speed work or intervals for the last fortnight so it will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Monday 9/4/2012

51.11 Min Run, 10 km, Pace 5.07 m/km, AHR 169, MHR 189

Rosslare 10km Road Race

KM Mins AHR
    Km 1 5.46 156
    Km 2 5.24 163
    Km 3 5.15 167
    Km 4 5.09 168
    Km 5 4.44 172
    Km 6 5.05 173
    Km 7 5.04 173
    Km 8 5.12 169
    Km 9 5.01 172
    Km 10 4.33 176

My first ever race fantastically organised and run by Oryx and her clubmates at Wexford Triathlon Club.

I got up at 7 and had my normal breakfast and gave myself plenty of time to digest before the race. I spent my morning watching Adam Rickman eating monstrous amounts of food and went up to register about 9.15. I had no idea what to expect, and didn't even know what to do with the timing chip when they handed it to me at sign up. As soon as I signed up the nerves started to get to me so I went back to the house and purposely didn't go back to the race until 10 minutes before the start. I knew if I hung around too long at the start I'd only find more imaginery ailments to add to ones that have been bothering me all week. The race briefing started just as I got there, then I walked around and jogged a little for 5 minutes before lining up at the start.

I had no race tactics, only I knew I wanted to hit each Km marker at multiples of 5.30 mins/km to reach my target of 55 mins. I wanted to take it easy for the first few K's and then pick it up from there on. I also knew I could sustain an AHR of high 160's for the 10k so kept an eye on that too. After the first 4 kms I was starting to gain on my planned time but I felt good so just went with it.

I got a stitch at about 7 kms but it was manageable so I slowed down a little and kept running through it. Once I got over the last railway bridge shortly after the 9k marker I put the boot down and passed loads of runners who really seemed to be dying a death. I finished really strongly with a chip time of 51.11, a full 3.49 faster than my target time. I think I could have done even better but I was scared of going too fast at the start and blowing up so I was a little too conservative. My race time was 51.31 because dopey here started right at the back and was a full 20 secs before I crossed the start line.

So, that's it! First goal race done and target time smashed. Ironman 2015 here we come.

Thursday 12/4/2012

80 Min Bike, 32.23 km, Av Spd 24.17 kmh, AHR 130, MHR 158

Early morning spin before work, usual loop a little faster than usual.

Friday 13/4/2012

37 Min Run, 5.94km, Pace 6.14 m/km, AHR 144, MHR 182

My first run since the 10k race and not feeling great so took it really easy. Very busy with work and everything I touch seems to fall to sh#t lately so stress levels at a high too.

On a positive note, I'm getting the hang of running to a specific HR zone and hopefully it will pay off in the long run.

Sunday 15/4/2012

253 Min Bike, 99.9 km, Av Spd 23.69 kmh, AHR 138, MHR 183

KARE Tour De Foothills

I wasn't looking forward to this as I was in really bad form all week, stressed out and I did sweet feck all training on the bike for the past two weeks. I really struggled to get out of bed in the morning and wasn't motivated at all but told myself to HTFU and get on with it.

The event itself was really well organised and a lovely route with the proceeds going to a fantastic charity. Excellent marshals thanks to the Brotherhood MCC and a well stocked food stop with sandwiches, granola bars, loads of fruit, water, tea/coffee and jelly beans. I saw loads of people skipping the fruit but not too many walked past the jelly beans.

Personally, the first half was fantastic and I felt great, especially on the hills. However, after the food stop my legs were just dead and never got going again. As well as that, it got very cold for the second half and we were cycling into a headwind with some bad road surfaces so the second half was basically just a slog to reach the finish. My first 100k though so that's another of my goals ticked off the list.

I was very disappointed to finish in a time of 4.13 as I had hoped to make it inside 4 hours, but that's what happens when you let your training slide. I could list endless excuses for missing my target time, but what's the point?

Anyway, a fantastic event nonetheless and nobody to blame for my performance only myself. Congrats to the organisers.

Totals for Week 15

Run 88 mins
    Bike 333 mins

YTD Totals

Run 1641 mins
    Bike 3403 mins

Monday 16/4/2012

53 Min Run, 7.78km, Pace 6.49 m/km, AHR 148, MHR 178

Needed to do this just to get back on the wagon after two lean weeks of training. Took it real easy, but my HR was in the clouds for the first five minutes. I eventually got it under control and plodded my may around. I considered going longer and doing my normal 10k route but thought the better of it after yesterday's effort.

Thursday 19/4/2012

32 Min Run, 5.94km, Pace 5.23 m/km, AHR 149, MHR 166

Nice early run around the town. Kept it steady but found it quite tough, was glad to get to the end.

Sunday 22/4/2012

70 Min Run, 11.40km, Pace 6.08 m/km, AHR 150, MHR 174

Trail run today for a change. Haven't done this in a long time, and really enjoyed it. Due to the constant up/downs and twisting/turning nature of the trails it tends to lead to a higher AHR for a slow pace, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

After a couple of crappy weeks, I'm starting to get motivated again and spent this evening fitting new tyres to the bike and I also think I've finally convinced the girlfriend to dump her hybrid and buy a road bike. So, hopefully next week will look a lot better although the weather forecast doesn't look too promising.

Totals for Week 16

Run 155 mins
    Bike 0 mins

YTD Totals

Run 1796 mins
    Bike 3403 mins

• Advertisement

Monday 23/4/2012

124 Min Bike, 49.6 km, Av Spd 24.00 kmh, AHR 140, MHR 169

After a couple of bad weeks, I feeling re-energised and raring to go again this week.

Out for a quick spin this morning, a little longer than I normally do for my short spins but I'm not working today so decided to keep going rather than rushing home to get ready for work.

New tyres went really well, I changed from factory issue own brand 25mm tyres to Panaracer Extreme Evo 3 in 23mm and found a big difference. I was afraid that there might be comfort issues with the narrower tyres but I noticed no problems even over some crappy surfaces and they seemed to roll far easier and also felt really secure and grippy.

Sorry I didn't change sooner now.

Assessment of the year to date

My original short term goals for this year were as follows:

10k Road Race - 22nd April
    Couldn't work out to do the 10k at the Wexford HM so did this instead on the 9th April, in a chip time of 51.11, my target time was 55.00 so delighted with this and also the first time I ever ran in a race. Really enjoyed it too.

140k Tour de Conemara - 27th May
    This ain't gonna happen I'm afraid, stupid, poxy, hateful work getting in the way of life yet again. Not too upset though as it was only a stepping stone towards the SKT. I'll have to try and find another sportive around the 120 / 140 km mark over the summer instead.

160k Sean Kelly Tour - 26th August
    Still looking good for this and my A event for the year. I'm doing this even if I have to be carried over Mahon Falls.

National Lottery Half Marathon - 17th Sept
    My other A event and I'm now consistently running 10+ kms once or twice every week with relative ease so I'll start the proper HM training in May. I have a 12 week plan that I'm going to stretch over 16 weeks as work can be funny and likely to interrupt my plans so the extra 4 weeks will hopefully allow some leeway for bad weeks. I might actually do the Sligo HM instead as I don't like large crowds, especially for my first.

Unplanned events

KARE Tour De Foothills - 15th April
    Entered this at the last minute but wasn't really properly prepared for it. Did very little cycling for the 2 weeks previous and attacked the climbs in the first half a little too enthusiastically. Stood around for too long at the food stop allowing my legs to get cold and they just never warmed up again at all for the second half. Finished in a disappointing time of 4.13, but got my first ever 100k under my belt. More climbing than I've ever done before either. Beautiful route though and I'll certainly do it again and would also recommend it to anyone else. Perfect amount of climbing for someone of my ability ie second season beginner / improver. Just enough to test you but not enough to make it impossible.

Injuries

I had been blessed so far up until the last few weeks when I've had issues with my IT band and rotator cuff. An hours research on youtube etc and I purchased a foam roller and some kinesio tape. Both seem to be working too, the KT tape is doing an awesome job on my shoulder and the foam roller really seems to find the sore spots :eek: Research suggested that the IT issues usually originate some place different and sure enough the foam roller found some very tight hamstrings.

Up until about a month ago, I used to do a 20 min set of strength exercises 3/4 times every week and never had a bother with anything but they fizzled out when things got busy. The pains and niggles only started about 2 weeks after the exercises finished. Maybe there's a clue there for me. :rolleyes:

Tuesday 24/4/2012
    32 Min Run, 5.74km, Pace 5.34 m/km, AHR 149, MHR 179

Short run along the canal with some sprint intervals thrown in to get the legs warmed up. Probably took it too easy on the warm up and cool down leading too a very unimpressive avg pace for some serious efforts but I'll know better the next time.

Feeling re-energised and enjoying it again which is the most important thing.

Saturday 28/4/2012
    63 Min Run, 10.2km, Pace 6.11 m/km, AHR 144, MHR 177

Up early for this one, out the door at 6.15am as I have to work today. Just got caught in the rain on the way back but luckily was only out in it for ten minutes.

No issues with my hamstring this morning. It's been at me all week, but I Kinesio taped it during the week and it seems to have worked miracles.

Totals for Week 17

Run 95 mins
    Bike 124 mins

YTD Totals

Run 1891 mins
    Bike 3527 mins

• Advertisement

Monday 30/4/2012

48 Min Run, 9.16 km, Pace 5.14 m/km, AHR 161, MHR 175

This is week one of my new plan for the half marathon in September and called for:

1 x 30 min Speed work
    1 x 30 min Recovery run
    1 x 48 min Steady
    1 x 70 min LSR

So this was the steady session and it was really, really tough. The welcome tailwind for the first half came back and bit me on the arse for the second half. I was very fatigued after a busy weekend working and spent most of today working in the office drinking about half a gallon of coffee. Hardly an ideal hydration plan :rolleyes:

Wednesday 2/5/2012

91 Min Bike, 37.6 km, Av Spd 24.79 kmh, AHR 138, MHR 167

Out early for this, hard to get out of bed but forced myself to do it and was glad I did. Made myself push on a bit a get my heart beating as I'm getting a bit one paced on the bike. Half way around I remembered I have a 5k road race tonight so reined it back in again for the second half.

Wednesday 2/5/2012

21:45 Min Run, 4.5km, Pace 4.50 m/km, AHR 166, MHR 176

I was meant to run a 5k Race tonight but events conspired against this happening so I headed out the door and hit the road in earnest. My plan was to run a 5k Race in 25:00. I didn't realise my route was short until I was finished but what the heck, I got a good session in anyway and really got the heart beating.

Thursday 3/5/2012

96 Min Bike, 29.6 km, Av Spd 18.2 kmh, AHR 89, MHR 129

Nice spin with the GF on her brand new first ever road bike. A Bianchi no less, and a lot nicer and more expensive than my bike too. :mad:

Friday 4/5/2012

30 Min Run, 4.68km, Pace 6.25 m/km, AHR 143, MHR 178

Short easy run prescribed for this session so got up early and got it done before breakfast. My Garmin sometimes acts up and gives me unnaturally high reading for the first few minutes, and therefore gives me an AHR higher than I felt it was. Thinking back I never moistened the contacts this morning so that could be it. Very easy session, far from exciting but miles in the legs.

Saturday 5/5/2012

50 Min Run, 9.30km, Pace 5.23 m/km, AHR 156, MHR 171

Steady session this morning. While I find these quite difficult I also feel great after them as they really give me a feeling of accomplishment and feel like they're making me stronger.

Sunday 6/5/2012

85 Min Bike, 36.75 km, Av Spd 25.9 kmh, AHR 136, MHR 171

Making an effort now to up my average speed as it's getting a little embarrassing at this stage to still be plodding about at 23 km/h on a flat route. That equates to 7 hours for a 160k and that's not taking any climbs into account, so I have serious improvements to make if I'm going to finish the SKT in daylight.

I put in a few decent efforts in the drops, pushing a big gear and trying to keep as aero as possible. I was happy with the efforts and was spinning along nicely at 35 km/h and managed to push it to over 40 km/h on the flat for a short time. While the running is obviously improving my aerobic fitness and keeping my AHR in a nice place it's doing nothing for my bike legs so I need to work on that.

Feeling good in general though and really enjoying the training again. This was the first week of my HM plan and the first time I've ever had 4 different run sessions in a week rather than doing the same every time. It's different, and tough at times but I'm liking it and it keeps it interesting.

Totals for Week 18

Run 150 mins
    Bike 272 mins

YTD Totals

Run 2041 mins
    Bike 3799 mins

Monday 7/5/2012

45 Min Run, 9.00km, Pace 5.00 m/km, AHR 157, MHR 172

I was working in Kilkenny over the weekend so did this session at 6am running around a shopping centre car park in the rain. (How's that for dedication?)

While the actual running itself was fine and felt good, and I was able to live with the rain, the monotony of running around in circles nearly killed me. I have no idea how guys run on a track, I wanted to quit after ten minutes but just kept going out of sheer stubbornness. In hindsight I should have prepared in advance and researched a nice route for this session.

On a happier note, my average times for these steady sessions are improving while my AHR's are dropping so that can only mean good things.

Wednesday 9/5/2012

21.08 Min Run, 4.66km, Pace 4.32 m/km, AHR 167, MHR 184

While the original plan was to take part in a local 5k road race league every week in May, this isn't going to happen now, so instead I try and do one really hard 5k (or thereabouts) session every Tuesday.

I'm very happy with the pace I'm achieving but my AHR is quite low for what should be race effort. Maybe if it was an actual race with other competitors I may be able to push myself harder but on my own I find it really difficult. Still, my paces in all my sessions are better than McMillan suggested based on my 10k PB yet I'm still staying comfortably inside my HR zones.

Thursday 10/5/2012

30 Min Run, 4.70km, Pace 6.23 m/km, AHR 136, MHR 147

My recovery run after yesterday's hard effort. Even though I haven't been feeling any after effects from the hard 5k sessions yet, I still make sure that I do these really easy runs the day after just in case.

This morning's run was lovely, my AHR was way down and the session just felt effortless. Small bit of drizzle in the air but not enough to bother me.

Friday 11/5/2012

70 Min Run, 10.85 km, Pace 6.27 m/km, AHR 143, MHR 162

What a morning, absolutely gorgeous. The sun was shining from a beautiful blue sky and there was a cacophony of birdsong to accompany me on my way. Obviously I'm not the only one that thought this as I met a good few runners out and they were all smiling with the joys of spring (even though it's summer).

Luckily I had last week's edition of Marathon Talk to keep me sane and I'm really enjoying listening to it. I find it really interesting and well made. This week's interview was with Nell McAndrew and she was just buzzing with enthusiasm about her recent marathon PB of 2:54. Great to listen to if just to imagine Nell in her shorts. I'm still chuckling over Tony's trials and his description of the Manchester marathon as a 3 course meal and finding a pubic hair at the end. Add to that his penile chafing on his anniversary weekend and I was nearly choking.

All in all, a really enjoyable run.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 15/5/2012

45 Min Run, 7.06 km, Pace 6.22 m/km, AHR 134, MHR 184

45 mins easy on the plan for today so that's what I did. I still find these incredibly boring but I'm sure the fine folks writing all these training plans know better than I do.

Wednesday 16/5/2012

20:40 Min Run, 4.66 km, Pace 4.26 m/km, AHR 164, MHR 180

Another TT effort, week 3 of 5 of these sessions and yet another PB, although I really suffered and felt like quitting numerous times. Legs just felt heavy and dead and I find it really hard to sustain a high HR for any more than a few minutes.

My training plan suggests my 5k race pace should be between 172 - 180 bpm which I find impossible to even comprehend at this point. Maybe in an actual race against other competitors it might be easier to do but on my own in a TT setting it's just torture. I do feel a great sense of accomplishment afterwards though.

Thursday 17/5/2012

30 Min Run, 4.70 km, Pace 6.23 m/km, AHR 145, MHR 180

My Garmin is playing up and gave me a massively elevated HR for the first ten minutes, so also messing with my AHR figures. I'd say my AHR was more arounf the 135 figure.

Other than that, too boring to even write about.

Saturday 19/5/2012

80 Min Run, 12.40 km, Pace 6.27 m/km, AHR 139, MHR 155

Chilly, but dry and otherwise pleasant and no pesky headwinds to contend with.

Totals for Week 20

Run 176 mins
    Bike 0 mins

YTD Totals

Run 2452 mins
    Bike 3799 mins

Once again another huge duck egg in the bike column. Work is manic at the moment and I just can't afford to turn it down. I'm going to try and find a crappy wheel and tyre to put on the bike for turbo use, then I can at least try do an hour in the kitchen a few nights a week.

Tuesday 22/5/2012

48 Min Run, 9.00 km, Pace 5.20 m/km, AHR 155, MHR 166

Steady session this morning, went well. I tried to carry my phone in my hand today as I didn't wear the sleeveless wind vest I usually do. I use it as both an MP3 player and also to track my runs but it drove me nuts so I'll have to come up with a new plan. I have another tiny MP3 player which I can put in my shorts pocket but I'll have to buy a shiny new watch to track the workouts. :D

Thursday 24/5/2012

20:54 Min Run, 4.66 km, Pace 4.28 m/km, AHR 161, MHR 178

Week 4 of 5 time trial speed session over my standard short loop. Felt dreadful for the first few minutes, my legs were just dead but came good for the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

just out of interest how much weight have you lost since you started?

Hi Frank,

I only started the log since Christmas but I started running in October and have gone from 84 kgs to 73 kgs now.

My target weight is 71.5 kgs so nearly there.

Friday 25/5/2012

56 Min Run, 10.20 km, Pace 5:29 m/km, AHR 151, MHR 168

Sunday 27/5/2012

30 Min Run, 4.7 km, Pace 6:23 m/km, AHR 141, MHR 152

Another dull, boring 30 mins easy. Jeebus but I hate these. I can see the point of long slow runs, or short fast runs or steady runs, but everytime I do this I come home feeling like that was a waste of time. Now, I'm sure the feeling writing the plans know more than me and I'll keep doing what they tell me but it stills bores me to tears.

Bought a water belt this afternoon as I nearly melted with the heat at 10am so I hate to imagine what I'll be like on a 2 hour run. Now I have it the weather will surely break.

Totals for Week 21

Run 155 mins
    Bike 0 mins

YTD Totals

Run 2538 mins
    Bike 3799 mins

Monday 28/5/2012

46 Min Run, 7.20 km, Pace 6:23 m/km, AHR 131, MHR 147

84 Min Bike, 35.67 km, Av Spd 25.48 km/h, AHR 127, MHR 155

What a superb day yet again. Even though I was off today I still got up early and got out for my run at 6.30 am. Felt good and my AHR was way down so obviously all this structured training malarky is actually working.

Got home, did a few DIY jobs and took the bike out for a short spin after lunch when I had the opportunity. Again, fantastic weather for the job, if a little blustery but divine just to be out there doing it again. Average speed up and AHR down so I'm obviously getting fitter. :D

• Advertisement

Tuesday 29/5/2012

82 Min Run, 13.00 km, Pace 6:18 m/km, AHR 139, MHR 149

Today was meant to be an early hard 5k TT session, the last of the 5 in my plan. I was absolutely exhausted this morning and physically couldn't drag myself out of the bed. In fairness, I've been working flat out lately and I'm usually very good at getting up in the mornings so I won't beat myself up too badly over it.

I actually did two sessions yesterday which I usually never do and in hindsight, the searing afternoon heat of yesterday probably wasn't a great time to start the habit. Still, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, right?

Instead I got up, had a good breakfast and spent a few hours working on the computer until I felt a little more human. I eventually headed out about midday and decided to do this weeks LSR as I still couldn't face the thought of running hard. I think it was a good session as my pace was up slightly and there was only 10 bpm in the difference between my AHR and MHR. Felt tired at the end, but legs are fine and feel the better for doing it. There's still plenty of time left in the week for the hard 5k.

Wednesday 30/5/2012

92 Min Bike, 35.70 km, Av Spd 23.54 km/h, AHR 124, MHR 153

Legs were a little lifeless after yesterday's run and the roads were surprisingly greasy after a small shower so I decided to take it handy and just get some miles in the legs. I've missed so many bike sessions lately that it's almost like I'm starting from scratch.

Anyway, although the legs are tried they're not sore or tight as I gave them a good stretch after yesterday's run and spent 20 minutes on the foam roller last night too.

Feeling really good about getting back into it now and looking forward to the SKT in August.

Totals for Week 22

Run 158 mins
    Bike 176 mins

YTD Totals

Run 2790 mins
    Bike 3975 mins

Big show last weekend starting on Thursday and lasting until Monday evening. I got 5 sessions done between Monday and Wednesday as I knew that even with the best of intentions I wouldn't get them done over the weekend. Still managed to miss one bike and one run session though, but bills have to be paid.

Wednesday 6/5/2012

95 Min Run, 13.50 km, Pace 6:58 m/km, AHR 143, MHR 156

First day back after a mad weekend and absolutely shattered, slept for about 11 solid hours and still felt like crap warmed up. The forecast for the rest of the week is bad so decided to get out for my LSR which was probably a bad idea considering how I felt.

Turns out I was right. Legs felt heavy and I just wanted to lie down and sleep all the way round. No pain, just plain exhaustion. My speed was way down for my slow runs and my AHR was towards the higher end but I got it done. I can't help feeling that it was wasted miles though.

I'm looking out the window now at the trees bent sideways and the rain bucketing down, but after reading Oryx's excellent blog I feel shamed into HTFU'ing and just getting out there.

Thursday 7/5/2012

52 Min Run, 9.00 km, Pace 5:47 m/km, AHR 156, MHR 171

After feeling both inspired and ashamed by Oryx's 20 mile run at 4am this morning, I put on my running tights, long sleeve jersey and wind vest and headed out into the wind and rain to see what happens.

As it turns out, I really enjoyed this run and am thoroughly glad I did it. I always tend to enjoy these steady sessions more than the LSR's or speed sessions as I really feel like they're making me fitter. I understand the LSR's are important, but when they're over I just feel tired rather than fitter.

I have to add that reading other people's logs really inspire and motivate me and there was a really good chance I would have skipped today had I not read about Oryx's fine example of persistence and commitment.

Friday 8/6/2012

60 Min Run, 11.00 km, Pace 5:27 m/km, AHR 155, MHR 181

10 min Warm Up
    10 x 2 min fast, 2 min jog
    10 min Cool Down

I was away working again so did this session around Tramore. It was meant to be 10 x hill intervals but I didn't know where I was so just did the intervals along the promenade into a bitch of a headwind. My AHR was not massive due to the WU and CD but the intervals averaged 169 and got to over 180 at times so a really tough workout and I felt it afterwards. I actually had to walk sideways down the stairs when I got back to the hotel my quads were so stiff. I did my usual stretching routine afterwards but did each of them 3 times rather than just the one then lay in a hot bath for half an hour.

Saturday 9/6/2012

30 Min Run, 4.80 km, Pace 6:15 m/km, AHR 131, MHR 143

I really needed this after the hard session the day before and this was the first time I actually realised the point of these short, easy sessions. My quads felt far better for it afterwards and it loosened them up brilliantly.

Sunday 10/6/2012

144 Min Bike, 63.50 km, Av Spd 26.4 km/h, AHR 137, MHR 168

My bike sessions have been woeful lately so I managed to hop on the bike and head out about 4.30pm for a quick spin. I felt absolutely brilliant for the entire workout and my legs just felt unbelievably strong. This was the first time I did longer than 90 minutes since the Tour De Foothills on April 15th and I still can't believe how great it went. Sometimes you just need days like this to remind you that the training works. Someone said that "cycling helps running but running does nothing for cycling" or something along those lines but I think the hard run sessions that I've been doing lately have really strengthened my legs and my engine feels really strong too so all in all a great day. :D:D

Totals for Week 23

Run 236 mins
    Bike 144 mins

YTD Totals

Run 2932 mins
    Bike 4119 mins

Monday 11/6/2012

47:30 Min Run, 9.00 km, Pace 5:17 m/km, AHR 156, MHR 168

Nice steady session before breakfast, felt good. I love these steady sessions, just enough to get the heart beating without leaving you shattered for the rest of the day.

102 Min Bike, 43.55 km, Av Spd 25.68 km/h, AHR 128, MHR 162

Another quick spin, making a real effort to squeeze these in whenever possible.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 12/6/2012

42 Min Run, 7.40 km, Pace 5:41 m/km, AHR 157, MHR 185

10 min W/U
    8 x 2 min intervals, 45 sec rest
    10 min C/D

If my legs didn't already hate me, they certainly do now. I'm annoyed by the lack of information I can get using the basic HRM that I have. I only have an average pace for the entire workout but no idea what my pace was like for the hard intervals. The warm up and cool down were done at a really slow pace probably around 6:30 m/km so they really bring the average down. Hopefully though I'll be able to pull the trigger on a new Garmin 410 in the next few weeks and then I can drown in statistics and numbers.

Wednesday 13/6/2012

183 Min Bike, 73.25 km, Av Spd 24.0 km/h, AHR 126, MHR 162

Three hours in the lashing rain. But what else would you expect in the Irish summer? Wasn't too enjoyable but felt good afterwards and glad I got back in the saddle and got a few miles under my belt.

Thursday 14/6/2012

31 Min Run, 4.80 km, Pace 6:28 m/km, AHR 133, MHR 142

Another snoozefest but feeling a little bit of tightness in my right hamstring so I think it actually helped to loosen it out a bit.

Still hate these sessions though.

Saturday 16/6/2012

60 Min Run, 11.13 km, Pace 5:23 m/km, AHR 164, MHR 162

Stupidity and laziness in equal measures by other people at work mean that I have to go in at 8am on a Saturday hence I was up at 5.30am for this session. It rained solidly for at least half of it and it was just pure anger and thickness that got me through it.

The workout itself actually felt good and I can really feel myself getting stronger since starting a bit of speedwork.

Sunday 17/6/2012

78 Min Bike, 35.70 km, Av Spd 27.2 km/h, AHR 137, MHR 164

Home from work and straight out the door for a quick blast on the bike. Really enjoyed this one and felt strong all the way including some steady sessions in the drops pushing a big gear.

More importantly, my first full week in a long time and hitting all the targets even if I did get soaked for most of them.

Totals for Week 24

Run 363 mins
    Bike 180 mins

YTD Totals

Run 3112 mins
    Bike 4482 mins

• Advertisement
Advertisement