Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coláiste Eoghain Uí Chomhraidhe

• 16-01-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Has anyone ever been or sent a child there recently? anything you can tell me about it?
    i've a daughter doing the leaving cert next year that wants to improve her 'spoken' irish, she doesn't want to go to a gaeltacht as none of her friends are going and she's quite shy, also she's not sporty and hates the sea and from what i can see, most of the gaeltachts extra cirriculum activities seem to be based on swimming/sports etc which totally puts her off!

Ideally she just wants some sort of conversing as gaeilge to build up her confidence, there's no website for this college, that i can find ...am reluctant to phone them as my own irish is practically non-existant (my daughter would put me to shame in that respect :() and i'm a scaredey cat ;) so if anyone can give me any information on their (recent enough) experiances and also the format of the day at the college i'd really appreciate it.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭maryb26

Presume this is preparing for exams rather than improving spoken Irish per se. Think she is too old for Carrigaholt. My son had very poor spoken irish despite a trip to Irish College and i took him here for a few lessons http://www.frenchschool.ie/irish.html. They are based in Steele's Terrace in Ennis. Assessed his level and said he would need X number of lessons. Told me when they thought he had sufficient lessons which was less than the number originally given. Felt they did not waste my money and it was well worthwhile. His irish was not as abd as I thought as if I remember correctly he only had about 4-5 lessons.The teacher was an examiner for the dept of education and knew exactly what was required for the oral exam. You might be better off spending your money here rather than Irish college.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

Oh, ok, thats very interesting thanks for that, yeah she is a very good student in all subjects and also in Irish but feels she is weak in the oral part. She wont be sitting leaving cert til 2013 but already is worrying over her grades :rolleyes: despite our assurances that she'll be fine. so just trying to give her some confidence really.
    Thanks again, i'll check that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

woggie wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been or sent a child there recently? anything you can tell me about it?
    s

It is run by Macdarra Tobín. A nice fella very approachable. I feel your daughter might be too old for Carrigaholt. Talk to him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Anyone have a phone number for the owner?

Advertisement