Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge.. a con!

Options
  • 16-01-2012 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

on this website https://www.householdcharge.ie/ the government states

These services are essential to your community. They include: fire and emergency services; maintenance and cleaning of streets; planning and development; public parks; street lighting; libraries; open spaces and leisure amenities. These facilities benefit everyone.

Now today I read..

Dublin fire brigade call-outs to start at €500

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0116/firebrigade.html

so what exactly is the household charge really for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure if this is a bona fide Accommodation & Property issue, there are other threads on the topic.

Estimated income from Household Charge €150,000,000

2010 Budgeted Current Expenditure and Income of Local Authorities by Authority Type €4,655,689,575

So, the Household Charge will cover perhaps 3.2% of local authority expenditure in a year, give or take until the 12 January. Where do you suggest the rest of the money comes from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Paye??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Victor wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is a bona fide Accommodation & Property issue, there are other threads on the topic.

2010 Budgeted Current Expenditure and Income of Local Authorities by Authority Type €4,655,689,575

So, the Household Charge will cover perhaps 3.2% of local authority expenditure in a year, give or take until the 12 January. Where do you suggest the rest of the money comes from?

From everywhere, bar the rich and wealthy, I suppose :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

Victor wrote: »

My PAYE, social charge, Motor tax, stamp duty, Vat.... you know.. the little things...?

My Local authority have just informed me today by letter that my bin collection is being privatised, so theres another cost they dont have to take from me. Its more than the housing charge, so perhaps im due a refund?

The letter also states that now my green bin will also not be free in a few months time so i pay for recycling now, composting, and my regular plastic waste per Pick up... great... Except I also have to pay 100 euros STANDING charge per year...even if i dont put out any bins????

and now Im being asked to pay another 100 euros household charge... A charge added AFTER my contractual fulfilling of my purchase of my home..

When im paying for water soon too, will I have any deduction from my household charge then either?...no..

Its a fecking con job. Another charge to throw on the weakened mules back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

dont pay it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

rather than pay a household charge the gov could just up income tax slightly ..... probably wouldn't be as much as an outrage as there is now.

But .. by using PAYE or income tax it means that the massive number of people who don't pay a penny tax (by means of PAYE etc) would once again be 'outside the tax net' and the suckers like myself in decent employment would be picking up the bill for those 'more vulnerable' in society.

I for one am sick of paying more than my fair share from my hard earned wages to pay for all the public services and benefits for those who pay feck all tax whatsoever, including those who are in employment but due to how narrow our tax base is getaway with paying next to nothing.

The tax bands have to widen and more people have to contribute, it is still reality that the vast majority of tax is paid by the vast minority of tax payers ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Lars1916 wrote: »
    From everywhere, bar the rich and wealthy, I suppose :(

The rich and wealthy pay 80%+ of our tax, depending on how you classify "rich" (and also what taxes you classify, e.g. income, VAT, corporation etc.), they most certainly are paying a lot of money to sustain our social system.

That €500 can probably be claimed back from insurance, if the call was legitimate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 belgianwil

astrofool wrote: »
    The rich and wealthy pay 80%+ of our tax, depending on how you classify "rich" (and also what taxes you classify, e.g. income, VAT, corporation etc.), they most certainly are paying a lot of money to sustain our social system.

That €500 can probably be claimed back from insurance, if the call was legitimate.

so your insurance can load your premium next year,another con job....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

belgianwil wrote: »
    so your insurance can load your premium next year,another con job....
    Well, they are likely to do that anyway seeing as your house was on fire.

Advertisement