Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Lube etc..

Options
  • 16-01-2012 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

hi guys,

what do you experts recommend for using on your chain.

I have a road bike (if that makes a difference)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Gonna lose my street cred here:

3-in-1-oil.gif

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,774 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If your local bike shop is out of 3-in-1 you could get this instead:

www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=194&idproduct=6486

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

i was thinking 3-1, thought there is a better lube to use for my chainset.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Gonna lose my street cred here:

3-in-1-oil.gif

You beat me to it! :D

Just remember not to use too much. Just a few drops (and i mean a few....8 or 9 drops)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    If your local bike shop is out of 3-in-1 you could get this instead:

www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=194&idproduct=6486

Your local petrol station will always have snakeoil 3 in 1 :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The cheapest naphthenic oil around. I'm another 3 in 1 user. 76 cent a bottle in Tecos. Common myth that its based on veg oil which is completely false.

Degrease and then oil. Less is more with oil.

3 in 1 oil for your bike chain? What is this, the 1980's??? :rolleyes: :D

OP, just go into any half decent bike shop and pick up the chain oil as recommended by me earlier..

3 in 1 oil for your bike chain? What is this, the 1980's??? :rolleyes: :D

OP, just go into any half decent bike shop and pick up the chain oil as recommended by me earlier..

Why not? Its 76 cent a bottle, lasts for ages and is an naphthenic oil, which is designed not to sludge? I'd pay it over a 5 quid bottle of oil. Chains don't perticularly care what oil is on them as long as there is some.

Dunno bout your narcoleptic oils! I won't be using vegetable oil on my bike chain for the same reasons and thats even cheaper in Lidl!

Ok Ok... If i was really stuck and had an old clunker with a rusty chain i'd whack on the 3 in 1, but with chains costing upwards of €20 ill use the specially formulated synthetic lubes out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

I've been using this recently http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8756 and it seems pretty good for both road and MTB bikes.

• Advertisement

Dunno bout your narcoleptic oils! I won't be using vegetable oil on my bike chain for the same reasons and thats even cheaper in Lidl!

Ok Ok... If i was really stuck and had an old clunker with a rusty chain i'd whack on the 3 in 1, but with chains costing upwards of €20 ill use the specially formulated synthetic lubes out there...

3 in 1 has no vegetable oil in it!

See here

And see here for what naphthenic oil is too. The tl;dr version is; naphthenic oil is a low friction oil that does not degrade into sludge. Virtually free from wax they continue to flow at low temperatures. It is entirely petroleum based.

ok, bottom line here is "Household" oil, such as 3 in 1, is a vegetable oil and is acidic. It tends to gum up, wash off easily and attract gunk! As well as not properly penetrating the chain links....

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

I have started using Rock n roll chain lubricant......supposedly cleans the chain while cycling (pushes dirt out)

Have to say I find it really good

cuculainn wrote: »
    I have started using Rock n roll chain lubricant......supposedly cleans the chain while cycling (pushes dirt out)

This would be the opposite to what 3-in-1 oil does then! :)

ok, bottom line here is "Household" oil, such as 3 in 1, is a vegetable oil and is acidic. It tends to gum up, wash off easily and attract gunk! As well as not properly penetrating the chain links....

Did you even read the PDF? Where does it say there that it is veg oil based?

Actually I'll save you the hassle

SuL0q.jpg

If fore mentioned oil is €12 and 3 in 1 is <€1, would it not be cheaper to replace the chain with the extra wear 3 in 1 causes than go through €12 a bottle oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

If fore mentioned oil is €12 and 3 in 1 is <€1, would it not be cheaper to replace the chain with the extra wear 3 in 1 causes than go through €12 a bottle oil?

Well thats one way around it I guess!!

I just like having a shiney chain and not having to clean loads of dust/ grime off after every cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭radiat

i started using the chain lub stuff i got from a bike shop.

the chain snapped a week later! no idea why. Went back to the 3-in-1

radiat wrote: »
    i started using the chain lub stuff i got from a bike shop.

the chain snapped a week later! no idea why. Went back to the 3-in-1

Did you buy it off this guy?

alien4-08.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭thehangtenguy

Completely agree. As said before just apply a few drops of 3in1 and wipe off any excess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

were not dealing with high tollerence engines here no need for synthetic stuff.Just clean and lube it more often.

i use oil for my diesel van!its fine as long as i clean and lube frequently

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭monkey 456

Sry if u have the 3-1 what do u do. Put it on a cloth and rub or what? And how often sud u do it??

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭radiat

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

3-in-1 is fine; used it for years, and I still use it for lubricating locks and for lubricating hinges on derailleurs and cable anchor points. However, it does wash out of chains very easily, so if you don't fancy re-oiling every week, a heavier oil is better. White Lightning does good heavier oils.

(3-in-1 most definitely is not based on vegetable oil.)

monkey 456 wrote: »
    Sry if u have the 3-1 what do u do. Put it on a cloth and rub or what? And how often sud u do it??

Clean and dry the chain; then put a drop on each roller.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/technical-tuesday-chain-lube-2010.html
    http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
    I don't know what would make you think just a few drops would be enough to properly lubricate a chain. The oil needs to penetrate every roller.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/technical-tuesday-chain-lube-2010.html
    http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
    I don't know what would make you think just a few drops would be enough to properly lubricate a chain. The oil needs to penetrate every roller.

I'm not sure whether you're addressing me. I did say put a drop on each roller, which ties in with Step 3 in your first link: "Apply lube sparingly to each roller on both the top and bottom sides of the chain while pedaling in reverse" Perhaps you need more than one drop of 3-in-1 -- it's a while since I've used it on chains -- but one drop of White Lightning does the trick, I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

If you're going to insist on using 3-in-one oil, at least buy the one with a teflon additive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

+1 for 3 In 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Clean and dry the chain; then put a drop on each roller.

One drop on each chain roller? Nah.... 8 or so drops on a moving chain....after a couple of revolutions, the oil will spread to the whole chain. Less excess to clean off too.

Advertisement