Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Lube etc..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

07Lapierre wrote: »
    One drop on each chain roller? Nah.... 8 or so drops on a moving chain....after a couple of revolutions, the oil will spread to the whole chain. Less excess to clean off too.

How exactly would the oil spread ..... a process of osmosis perhaps? :rolleyes:

I think I'll stick with one roller at a time!

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

RPL1 wrote: »
    How exactly would the oil spread

It also coats the cogs and spreads that way. If you use more oil then I do hope that you wipe any excess off your chain after application. You really do not need much oil as there is already oil on the chain, you're just giving it a bit of a top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

RPL1 wrote: »
    How exactly would the oil spread ..... a process of osmosis perhaps? :rolleyes:

I think I'll stick with one roller at a time!

osmosis? ... no its even simpler than that..oil on chain, turn the pedals, chain moves so oil transfers onto the cogs, jockey pulleys and chainset...simple. works its way into the chain too. less oil to clean off, less oil attracts less dirt etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

anyone use TF2? I have an enormous can of it, never quite sure if its any different to WD40 which I've been told not to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

loyatemu wrote: »
    anyone use TF2? I have an enormous can of it, never quite sure if its any different to WD40 which I've been told not to use.

I was advised to use both by the guy who services my bike. This is what he showed me to do weekly:

Start with WD40 which drives out any moisture, strips greasy build up and loosens any gunge. Clean thoroughly with a rag. Also spray it on the derailleur and clean the jockey wheels by gently pinching the exposed section with the rag while spinning. Repeat if required to remove stubborn build-up.

Then, using the straw on the TF2 spray ever so gently so that the lubricant drips from the end, apply sparingly to the inside surface of the chain (the top of the lower loop). spin the chain through a good few revolutions. Flick it up and down through the cassette. Wipe chain again with clean rag to remove any excess.

After a wet spin he advised me to dry the chain with a cloth and re-apply TF2 if it there is no grit evident on the chain. If gritty then clean with WD40 first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement