Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel in Malahide and Howth?

Options
  • 16-01-2012 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

How long is the drive from Malahide to Howth? This would be around dinner time on a week night, so I suppose I need to take rush hour into consideration. Are tehre any tolls on the road? I see you can take the DART and it's about 30 minutes, but we'll be driving likely.

Also, is Malahide a nice place to spend a night? Are there any nice restaurants in the town center? Is it easy enough to get to the M4 (Galway bound) from there?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Malahide is a great spot, lots of good resturants & pubs. Resturants to suit any need (cheap & cheerful to hoity-toity fancy-pancy).

Malahide to Howth would be against rush our traffic for most of the way and wouldn't take anymore that 30mins (unless you got caught at the level crossing).

Getting to the M4 is grand in that the M50 is close by. It's take about 30mins to get to the M4 from Malahide via the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The rush hour isn't too bad along the coast road, schools and Sutton level crossing would be the main issues. I've just come from Swords Airside to Howth which took about 30 minutes. No tolls

To get to the M50 you can either go to Swords and join the M1 from Airside or you can take the Malahide Road to Clare Hall, then the R32 to the M50. Malahide to Airside would be riskier for travel time variability. Getting to the M4 over the Westlink brige is a toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Is lighterthought living in Atlanta or Christchurch?Surely no-one living here could ask such a silly question???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

such a silly question???

No such thing
    It was a fair question, bit harsh
    And lots who post in Dublin forum do not know Dublin

First job interview I had in Dublin I took a taxi from Connolly Station to North Wall Quay and got laughed at by the taximan :D
    Doesn't matter, everyone has to learn sometime

Is lighterthought living in Atlanta or Christchurch?Surely no-one living here could ask such a silly question???

Not sure what the purpose of this post. It sure doesn't add anything helpful or of value to the thread. These unhelpful smart arse replies seem to be becoming a bit of a trend lately with some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

most of the op's questions could be answered by google maps and common sense.

surprising amount of people post questions that google could answer!

There is a reason to be rude?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

most of the op's questions could be answered by google maps and common sense.

No they couldn't. Google Maps won't tell him/her what the traffic is like at rush hour, what is the best option of getting to the M4, and what is the best way to go to avoid getting held up for long at level crossings for example. Nor will it tell her if Malahide has decent enough restaurants or is full of gurriers.

Ask away OP. Don't mind the cranks. I am living in Dublin again after many years abroad. People here have been very helpful when I need to know the best way to get from A to B, when there are variables that only a human being would know about.

traffic is like at rush hour= common sense/a sense of adventure maby

what is the best option of getting to the M4, and what is the best way to go to avoid getting held up for long at level crossings for example

= google maps

Nor will it tell her if Malahide has decent enough restaurants or is full of gurriers.

its one of the countries top earning places and expensive property , bets are there are decent restaurants there, and anyway its a mater of opinion if the food is any good, and anyway google malahide restaurant reviews

traffic is like at rush hour= common sense/a sense of adventure maby

what is the best option of getting to the M4, and what is the best way to go to avoid getting held up for long at level crossings for example

= google maps

Nor will it tell her if Malahide has decent enough restaurants or is full of gurriers.

its one of the countries top earning places and expensive property , bets are there are decent restaurants there, and anyway its a mater of opinion if the food is any good, and anyway google malahide restaurant reviews
    You assume that everybody is familiar with Dublin, they're not. You assume everybody is familiar with Google Maps, they're not. You assume that it's obvious that there's a level crossing at Sutton from GMaps, it's not quite that obvious to everybody. You mention a rush hour along the route, well there isn't much of one as it's peripheral and radial. If anything the rush hour is around schools out time - I know as I did it yesterday, there and back. You assume everybody knows how affluent Malahide is, they don't.

You have contributed nothing of value or anything helpful to the OP from your high horse. How about using the 'think before you post' principle and being a bit more polite.

OP have a nice time in Malahide, but remember, Howth is better;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 lighterthought

Thanks all who sent on helpful posts. Obviously I wouldnt ask if I didnt know the answer.

I live in Ireland but not Dublin, but I'm not from here, so haven't been graced with a childhood full of memorizing Dublin and its environs!

Thanks again for those with info - noted! Looks like we're staying in Malahide, good accommodation in Howth was hard to book (people don't answer web enquiries)

I never assumed that op(and anyone else) is familiar with dublin.

people who arnt familiar with google maps, should be

people who arnt familiar with level crossings, will get a huge surprise at having to wait a few min (shock horror)

''You mention a rush along the route, well there isn't much of one as it's peripheral and radial''

I dont know what your talking about here, a rush?!

assuming everyone knows how affluant malahide is? i just have no sympathy for not researching it yourself. everyone knows howth is anyway its not to hard an assumption to think malahide is similar.

my high horse, ha! just caus i know how to use the internet. i have no sympathy for people who cant do simple things for themselves.
    the only reason i weighed in here was to back up other posters who suggested this was a fairly silly post with silly questions.

SENSE OF ADVENTURE is what the op needs when traveling to the unknown.

edit, doh rush hour obviously. originaly i said MOST of the op's questions.... rush hour would be the one question boards MIGHT be usefull for, but on a 30 min trip in north dubln on a friday night, who knows what the traffic is going to be like, its akin to asking the weather 3 weeks from now, chaos theory springs to mind.

You assume everybody is as big a know-it-all as yourself, well that's not quite how you are coming across.

Good day to you.

Jog on teddansonswig, no one is interested in why you thought it would be cool to be rude.

i wasnt being rude, i was suggesting web pages that the op (and everyone) should be aware of.

tricky D wrote: »
    You assume everybody is as big a know-it-all as yourself, well that's not quite how you are coming across.

Good day to you.

once again, i didn't assume anything !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Hi all,

How long is the drive from Malahide to Howth? This would be around dinner time on a week night, so I suppose I need to take rush hour into consideration. Are tehre any tolls on the road? I see you can take the DART and it's about 30 minutes, but we'll be driving likely.

Also, is Malahide a nice place to spend a night? Are there any nice restaurants in the town center? Is it easy enough to get to the M4 (Galway bound) from there?

Thanks for your help!

Hey OP, the drive from Malahide to Howth is indeed about 25-30 mins. You could alternatively take the 102 bus from Malahide to Sutton Station and then get a Dart from there to Howth (it may be slightly quicker than the 2-train option, plus it's a pretty bus trip along the coast, though you'll see it all if you drive it). Malahide's a great place to spend a night, there's a fair few pubs to cater for all your tastes, and numerous restaurants that'll suit any budget.

One thing I will say about driving is to make sure you go past Sutton station (by taking a left after the church in Baldoyle), as you will miss out on some of the rush-hour traffic from the city into Howth, though it's not the worst anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Punchy1969

Malahide is a lovely village. There's a great little restaurant called Chez Sara down the road beside of the church, or The Greedy Goose is another good one, plenty to choose from though. You could stay in The Grand Hotel at the end of the village or there are a few b&b's on the way in.
    Drive the coast road to Howth staying alongside the sea and turn left at Sutton cross. As someone else said , go to the M50 motorway via a barrier free toll which you pay for online afterwards, take the N4 exit marked for Lucan which eventually becomes the M4. This has another toll where you pay at the barrier. Good luck

people who arnt familiar with google maps, should be

assuming everyone knows how affluant malahide is? i just have no sympathy for not researching it yourself. everyone knows howth is anyway its not to hard an assumption to think malahide is similar.

my high horse, ha! just caus i know how to use the internet. i have no sympathy for people who cant do simple things for themselves.

Wow. Using the internet and well known and well respected websites to educate yourself on things that you know little about. What a FABULOUS idea. Wow, wait a minute. Why don't I design a website about Dublin, and I'll add in a forum where people can ask native Dubs their opinions on their city? I'll make millions....Aw crap....wait a minute, what do you mean someone has already done it?

OP, if you are driving thru Sutton on the way from Malahide, you'll pass the turning that will take you up to the summit of Howth Head. It is well worth a trip, if even for just a minute. There are amazing views back over Dublin Bay and towards the Wicklow Mountains. If you are there at sunset, it is even more amazing.

If you are on the West Pier in Howth, keep an eye out for the seals (or maybe they are sea lions, I forget which) that hang out where the fishing boats are moored. If you ask nicely, some of the fish merchants along the quay may even give you some fish heads to throw to them. It is a much loved Howth tradition. Have fun ! :)

ProudDUB wrote: »
    If you are on the West Pier in Howth, keep an eye out for the seals (or maybe they are sea lions, I forget which) that hang out where the fishing boats are moored. If you ask nicely, some of the fish merchants along the quay may even give you some fish heads to throw to them. It is a much loved Howth tradition. Have fun ! :)

They're Grey Seals. Feeding them is no longer permitted with a fine of up to €5000.

• Advertisement

Did not know that. Thanks for the headsup. Is there a sign saying that on the pier? It musn't be very visible if there is. I was out there a lot last summer and I never saw one. Nor I imagine did all the people that I saw who brought fish to feed to the seals.

Yea, it was just out up recently.
    The shops aren't selling fish for the seals either.

The sign went up about 10 months ago. Thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71229260

dont-feed-the-seals-notice.jpg

I'd love to know where exactly that sign is. I have stood on the quay side and watching people feeding the seals, some times for up to 20 minutes. I have eaten in nearby restaurants and I have shopped in the fish merchants directly across from where the seals are. I have never seen that sign and I am usually pretty good about seeing stuff like that. And judging by the conversations that I have overheard from others seal watchers/feeders, they have not seen it either. Oh well....

It's on the north side of the ice/processing plant building, right beside the most popular feeding spot. I'll check that it is still up next time I'm down there.

Advertisement