Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need to read more...

Options
  • 16-01-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on how to fit more reading into my day! I love everything about books and spent my entire childhood with my head in the books but lately I've found it really hard to finish any. :(

For the past few years I've basically read about 3 books a year. This was down to a few reasons.. busy with college, too busy partying etc etc. I decided at the New Year to compile a list of books I've always wanted to read and work my way through them! So far I have finished one. The Fortunes and Misfortunes of Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe.

I finished that book about a week ago and can't seem to bring myself to pick another one up. I think it may be because I started a PhD about 4 months ago and I spent 90% of my day reading publications. When I get home I tend to pan out in front of the tv or talk to my roommates. I really want to change this pattern and get a couple of hours of reading into my evenings.

Is there any tips you can give me or is it just perseverance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

Personally, I read for an hour or so in bed every night. It's my main reading time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

judgefudge wrote: »
    ... think it may be because I started a PhD about 4 months ago and I spent 90% of my day reading publications ...

I sympathise! I do an awful lot of reading for work myself, and find it hard to approach a book when I'm winding down. I used to read slightly more than one book a week all through my childhood and into my early thirties, but three kids, a business and a life I'm really enjoying have totally changed the way I view and use my time.

I'm now planning on getting back into books by the back door. A session with some friends at Christmas resulted in about half a dozen of us agreeing to write a short story during the month of February, (and if that goes well maybe getting involved in nanowrimo in November). That'll give me a collection of short stories to read in March so hopefully that'll break the logjam :-)

I have a shelf of books people gave me for Christmas and birthdays over the last 10 years because they always knew I loved a good book, so I'm not stuck for material!

I don't spend any regular time on public transport myself, but I think that might be a good place to insert a book if it's part of your routine.

(PS: Hi Mick!)

niallb wrote: »
    (PS: Hi Mick!)

?
    I'm intrigued, sir.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I read a lot less than I used to as well but I find my main reading times are on the bus and in bed at night. If I can I always carry my book with me in my bag so if I get a few spare minutes at lunch I'll have a read then. I do find that after I have finished one book these days I usually need a break of a few days or a week before jumping into another one. I used to close one and open the next nearly straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

mickoregan wrote: »
    ?
    I'm intrigued, sir.

I was a busker and musician during the 80's and early 90's and recognised your face when I followed the link in your sig. Best of luck with the gig in Cobh next week.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much, Niallb.
    Our paths would certainly have passed in those days I'm sure.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Look into e-readers. I bought a Kindle because I felt that my reading habits had slowed down over the last year or two, and I've found myself reading a tonne more since I got it. It's so easy to carry that I find myself having reading material on me more often, and I can read more times throughout an average day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Look into e-readers. I bought a Kindle because I felt that my reading habits had slowed down over the last year or two, and I've found myself reading a tonne more since I got it. It's so easy to carry that I find myself having reading material on me more often, and I can read more times throughout an average day.

How are E-readers for making your eyes tired/heavy?
    This is the one thing I’ve wondered about them as I get this from books after about 45 minutes, and I’m wrecked at the end of my working day (full pc based job)

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Hey thanks for the input. Yeah I got a kindle there a few months ago. I've read a couple things on it, short things :) I kinda like the odd real book too though :D

I guess the main problem is my concentration... as I'm reading all day, when I get home I just switch off and if I pick up a book before I know it I'm asleep or daydreaming.

I don't use public transport for work so thats out. I will start bringing my book with me to lunch but I'm generally chatting to people then so it may not work. Not enough time in the day!! And so many books... :)

@D-FENS
    I have the Kindle 3, without the keyboard or any of that stuff. I haven't noticed much difference on my eyes really. In fact they may be slightly easier on the eye. Its not backlit so theres no light straining your eye and its very similar to reading a page. The background is also white, not yellowed like old books, but not too bright at the same time. I've found it very comfortable to read I have to say! They have a display of them in my local Tesco with a couple of Kindles set up that you can look at. Might be worth a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

D-FENS wrote: »
    How are E-readers for making your eyes tired/heavy?
    This is the one thing I’ve wondered about them as I get this from books after about 45 minutes, and I’m wrecked at the end of my working day (full pc based job)

As mentioned in the post below yours, it's not a strain in the least. I think what isn't emphasised enough is the ease of e-ink on the eyes, it's a world different to reading something from a computer screen or a phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Have you considered audiobooks? Personally, I really dislike them and think they're hard to follow but maybe you'd enjoy them?

I sympathise with your problem of not enough time, though. Last year I stopped reading the newspaper 3 out of 7 days (kept up with the TV news though) and used that time to catch up with novels. It's not ideal but it might work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

I think one of the best ways to put yourself off reading is to read Moll Flanders! what in the name of God made you choose that? I read it but only because I had to

Are you reading books that you think you should read or books that you want to read?

Hey Guys,

@wilkie2006 I've never tried audiobooks to be honest so I might give them a whirl if I can get a decent one out of the library. I've never found the idea of them all that appealing but I'll try have an open mind. I don't really read newspapers to be honest, I mainly just listen to the news while driving so theres no real time to be gained there... thanks for the suggestions though!

@Purplebee Hey, I read Moll Flanders because my roommate hounded me to. She loved it, and its free on Kindle so I thought why not. I've read Midnight's Children since then and just started Lolita last night. I wouldn't say I'm reading books I think I ought to read but there are a number of books I intend to read, mainly because so many people rave about them and because they sound good to me. I avoid sci-fi, history etc cause its just not my bag. The above 3 were borrowed off friends. I found Moll Flanders good, the language a little tricky but once I got into it I enjoyed the story. She had a crazy life! You may have been put off it from having to study it?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

You may have been put off it from having to study it?

Yep, maybe your right, although the way it was written was so sober and boring given the story was about a crazy, thieving, over-fertile, incestuous, prostitute. Probably suffered because of its supposed moral message.

PurpleBee wrote: »
    Yep, maybe your right, although the way it was written was so sober and boring given the story was about a crazy, thieving, over-fertile, incestuous, prostitute. Probably suffered because of its supposed moral message.

Haha, yeah I tried to keep track of how many children she had. I'm still not sure but it was in the teens somewhere. She seemed to just neatly dispose of them at various points too.

@wilkie2006 I've never tried audiobooks to be honest so I might give them a whirl if I can get a decent one out of the library. I've never found the idea of them all that appealing but I'll try have an open mind. I don't really read newspapers to be honest, I mainly just listen to the news while driving so theres no real time to be gained there... thanks for the suggestions though!

If you register with http://www.audible.co.uk you get a free audiobook download. You'd need to look into it a bit but I think you can just cancel your sub after that.

Also, often in Saturday's Guardian, you can get a code for a free audiobook download (some are pretty good: Orwell, John Le Carre, Kazuo Ishiguro). I'll keep an eye out for the next one and will post the download code etc here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I watch very little TV these days (I watch a lot of films and drama/comedy series, but I very rarely turn on the TV in order to 'vegetate' any more)

I don't party anywhere near as much as when I was 19 and a wee whippersnapper up to no good :D

I look forward to reading for a few hours when I get home from work. Try mixing your books up - have one biography/history/science book on the go, as well as a novel? I'm slowly creaking my way through Middlemarch by Eliot and started One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest the other night. Best way to do it I think.

Hey wilkie, thanks for that!! I'll give them a shot I think. I'd imagine its very weird sitting back listening to a book but maybe its not. I have an iphone so I'll look into it and see if theres an app or something.

I think I'm gettin into the swing of it anyway. I got a bunch of secondhand books I thought looked interesting so they're sitting on my bedside table at the moment taunting me. I borrowed Lolita off a friend and realised half way through there was a misprint and part of some other book was stuck in the middle. That was annoying. I felt all uncomfortable til I got another copy.

I'd love to get into history books but I have no idea where to start. My knowledge of history in general is shockingly poor. I'm actually quite embarrassed about it so if you have any suggestions that'd be great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

I'd love to get into history books but I have no idea where to start. My knowledge of history in general is shockingly poor. I'm actually quite embarrassed about it so if you have any suggestions that'd be great!!
    What kind of history would you like to know more about?

Enkidu wrote: »
    What kind of history would you like to know more about?

I really don't know... I was going to say "the start" there til I realised how ridiculous that was :D

I'm embarrassed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

I really don't know... I was going to say "the start" there til I realised how ridiculous that was :D

I'm embarrassed now.
    Why not find a general history of everything title for a brief over view and find areas or periods that interest you and research them a little deeper or pick a topic .. Military History is a good one loads of stuff around . Try Gibbons , The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, or something more specific like Bury my heart at Wounded Knee - Dee Brown , reads like an exciting novel , or any Anthony Beevor title also max hastings , mainly WW2 stuff

Hey wilkie, thanks for that!! I'll give them a shot I think. I'd imagine its very weird sitting back listening to a book but maybe its not. I have an iphone so I'll look into it and see if theres an app or something.

Heya. It just so happens that today's Guardian is giving away a copy of "Eat, Pray, Love" via Audible.com . I don't think it's my cup of tea but if you (or, indeed, any other user) is interested you can download it on:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/competition/2012/jan/30/eat-pray-love-download?newsfeed=true

and use the code EATPRAY1

Thanks wilkie, I'll probably try to download that when I get back from work. Although I heard from somebody it's not a great book...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Thanks wilkie, I'll probably try to download that when I get back from work. Although I heard from somebody it's not a great book...
    It's an awful, awful book. Freebie or not, I'd advise you not to bother.

Today there's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/competition/2012/jan/31/zen-art-motorcycle-maintenance?INTCMP=SRCH

code is ZENART2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

'The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire' is half literature and half history. I'd recommend not reading something like that unless you had a fairly good grounding in things.

I would recommend some monographs but unless you've some idea of the general framework then there isn't much point.

I'm not being cheeky, but the junior cert history book mightn't be a bad start! Our one back in the day was quite good, though I can't vouch for the more modern stuff. It gave a very comprehensive rundown of western history from ancient Rome up to modern Ireland/America. Very comprehensive, and ideal for someone who doesn't know where to start. Following that it would be a good idea to focus on more particular areas. If you're looking for some recommendations for European or Irish history from the 18th century onwards, let me know and I'd be happy to offer some advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I got a bunch of secondhand books I thought looked interesting so they're sitting on my bedside table at the moment taunting me.

Sometimes although I have a wee stock pile, I can feel that I have 'nothing to read!' When this happens I need to get a book that I can't wait to dive into.

I see you are interested in History, maybe that will get your engines lit! Then off you go and some day you will notice that you dipped into your stockpile and didn't even notice. :D

Denerick wrote: »
    I'm not being cheeky, but the junior cert history book mightn't be a bad start! Our one back in the day was quite good, though I can't vouch for the more modern stuff. It gave a very comprehensive rundown of western history from ancient Rome up to modern Ireland/America. Very comprehensive, and ideal for someone who doesn't know where to start. Following that it would be a good idea to focus on more particular areas.

I was actually considering that myself! I really am hopeless so I might get a JC or LC history book. I'm actually looking forward to getting stuck into it I used to love learning about the Romans. I also would love a decent book on Irish history (1916 etc), if you have any recommendations?

Advertisement