Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting pregnant after the pill

Options
  • 16-01-2012 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi All,

Sorry if there is already a thread on this....

I am just wondering...what are general experiences on length of time taken to conceive after being on the pill?

I have been on the pill for about 8 years. I will be planning on trying to get pregnant in a few years and by then I will be on it about 10 years and I am worried that it may take ages to become pregnant...by which time there might not be much time to waste. I don't want to come off it until I need to as I am really not in the position to have a baby now. I am just trying to plan for the future..

So what are general experiences for long term pill users?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I am friends with a few couples who once she came off the pill were pregnant within 9 months .
    1 was pregnant a month after coming off
    1 was pregnant 4 months after coming off
    2 were pregnant between 6 and 9 months after coming off.

i do know a couple who are trying for a baby the last 2 years and blame long term pill usage for the difficulty , but imo a proportion of people will always have difficulty concieving and they use the pill as a thing to blame.

Best of luck .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

I'm pregnant atm, was on pill for 6 years,

Came off pill, let myself have a normal period then I was pregnant the next month!

I was on the pill for 4 years, off it 3 and a half, not a dickie bird. Never had a problem conceiving before I took the pill. I know others who have missed a couple of days and fell pregnant, so genuinely it's different for everyone and best not to worry about it too much until the time comes, it'll not do you any good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I was on it for 10years and am now off it a year and nothing. I'm not sure if there's any link between our lack of success and the length of time I was on the pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I was on the pill for 4 years and got pregnant the first month off.

I had a miscarriage that time, but am just about to start trying again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

I was on the pill for 10 years and it took me a year to get pregnant the 1st time.I then went back on it for 18 months and I am off it a year now and nothing.I am starting the process of fertility testing and also gp is worried i may have endometreosis as ovulation and periods are very painful since coming off the pill.Everyone is different and it varys hugely.Most people I know got pregnant within 3 months after long term pill usage.The pill can mask anything that may not be quiet right and until you come off it these problems may not be apparent.If you are young then most of these issues can be resolved.Best of luck to you:).

meggysmom wrote: »
    The pill can mask anything that may not be quiet right and until you come off it these problems may not be apparent.If you are young then most of these issues can be resolved.Best of luck to you:).

I think this is an important point. I had cysts and endometriosis which only became apparent when I came off the pill. Personally I wont be going back on it. We'll find other means of contraception if and when and the time need arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

yellow hen,I have just received appointment at the beacon for assesment,What have your experiences been with endo and cysts?Did you get pregnant after you had treatment?I havent been formally diagnosed yet but everything is pointing that way.I would love to hear your experience.Sorry for hyjacking this thread.You can e-mail me directly if you like:).

meggysmom wrote: »
    yellow hen,I have just received appointment at the beacon for assesment,What have your experiences been with endo and cysts?Did you get pregnant after you had treatment?I havent been formally diagnosed yet but everything is pointing that way.I would love to hear your experience.Sorry for hyjacking this thread.You can e-mail me directly if you like:).

just sent you a pm meggysmom. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 irishgal2012

I was on the pill over 10 years, came off it in july 2011 and am now 10 1/2 weeks pregnant! I too had the worries of it affecting my fertility but obviously it doesnt!! I think if you're going to have problems TTC you will regardless of how long you have been on the pill. It does mask any problems you may have though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I was on Yasmin for 7 years on and off. Came off it 5 months ago and still trying :( I know it's not very long but just found out my friend is pregnant after 2 months trying and it's making me more impatient than ever :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Also on it over 10 years and off it 3 years and no luck yet :( Should add, my dear friend who was on it about the same length got pregnant within 6 weeks of coming off the pill. We're all very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Friend of mine was 37 when she came off pill after 10+ years and got preg the next month.

I got preg about 4-5 mths after coming off pill after being on it 10 or so years. I was on some of the stronger ones like Dianette and Yasmin. I was on those ones for my skin as anything not as strong just made my skin break out bad. (I'm currently pregnant & my skin is fairly woeful :rolleyes:)

The key thing is that I got my periods back pretty much straight away and they were regular enough, one cycle was 36 days and the others were about 29 I think.

As a prev poster says, being on the pill can mask gynaelogical problems you may have (and I say may as you probably don't anyway). So if your periods don't come back by 6mths after coming off pill or there's anything you're concerned about in regards to them, I'd say to see the doc and start investigating that. You might just need more time for your body to get back into it's cycle, but it's also no harm eliminating potential problems early on.

Advertisement