Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough estimate of cost and time involved please...

Options
  • 16-01-2012 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi,

Just wondering if someone might be able to give me some information on the cost and time involved in getting the following done:

The house I am living in is about 30 years old. Ever since I can remember there has been problems with wiring in the house. It seems to have gotten worse lately.
    For example:
    - Light bulbs are dying out extremely quickly. We are changing on average 2/3 a month.

- The ceiling light in one bedroom blew up a few weeks back when I turned it on (flash of sparks, and then the lightbuld and the holder for it blew into about 10 different pieces).

- One lightswitch in particular seems to turn on/off different lights. Sometimes it will activate the hall one, and next time it will operate the landing one.

Just wondering of a total re-wiring would be needed? And if so, how much roughly are we talking?

Also, I am thinking of getting some downlights (I think that is what they are called) into the bedrooms instead of the current normal light fitting. How much would that cost?

I was hoping to also get the electrician to put in extra sockets around the house.

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

Have a look in here it might give you ideas.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056503355

I find it very hard to price jobs like that without actually walking the job with the client as it is very easy to not only over price it(where you can scare people away) but also under price it(where its very hard to get the money for the extra unseen work) .

It sounds like you need to get someone in quick to check your problems out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Flurry

Thanks a million for your reply, and the link.

.....I am completely blown away by the price though! I am not sure what I expected, but it definitely wasn't anywhere near the 5k-10k bracket!

There is no way I would be able to afford anywhere close to that.
    Do you think there is a way to fix the problems without doing a total re-wiring?

Also, do electricians do free quotes, or do you need to pay them to call out and give a quote.

I am really hoping that once an electrician sees it they might be able to fix each problem without a total rewiring job.

I might have to scrap my fancy ideas to getting some downlighting in!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Flurry wrote: »

Also, do electricians do free quotes, or do you need to pay them to call out and give a quote.

I am really hoping that once an electrician sees it they might be able to fix each problem without a total rewiring job.

I might have to scrap my fancy ideas to getting some downlighting in!

:)

absolutely no charge for a quote nowadays
    most of the problems you are having may be fixable
    a quick wiring inspection should confirm whether or not a rewire is required(30 years is nearing your limit though)
    perhaps a fuseboard and mains(including earthing)upgrade will help in the short term
    if you are installing downlighting in the bedrooms,see can your electrician rewire entire upstairs lighting circuits at the same time(not a major job and should not require decoration)
    this will save you doing it in the future

meercat wrote: »
    absolutely no charge for a quote nowadays
    most of the problems you are having may be fixable
    a quick wiring inspection should confirm whether or not a rewire is required(30 years is nearing your limit though)
    perhaps a fuseboard and mains(including earthing)upgrade will help in the short term
    if you are installing downlighting in the bedrooms,see can your electrician rewire entire upstairs lighting circuits at the same time(not a major job and should not require decoration)
    this will save you doing it in the future

Thanks a million!

I didn't realises houses had to be re-wired after a certain length of time. What is the recommended time, 30 years?

I think I will call around a few places during the week to see if I can get a few quotes.

I was hoping to get some plastering done later in the year, which is why I thought it might be best to get the electric stuff sorted out first.

I am a bit clueless about it all though!
    Hopefully it won't cost much to get the 2 dodgy switches and 2 dodgy lights fixed. If the quote for them is okay, I will then ask about the downlighting :)

30 years and a rewire is recommended

ask a local sparks to quote for rewire and tell him before he calls that you have 2 small jobs needed to be done
    i would imagine about €50-€80 should repair your current problems if he is local and calling about a rewire quote
    you can also ask about the downlights quote also

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for all the advice.

I will look up some local electricians and see what they quote me for the little jobs.
    It looks like I might have to start saving for a total re-wiring though....eeek!

I don't suppose you are a local electrician?? :D

Advertisement