Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nick Curly @ The Button Factory 2/3/12

Options
  • 16-01-2012 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

nick1.jpg

POD Presents

Nick Curly

Friday 2nd March 2012
    The Button Factory – Curved Street, Temple Bar – Dublin 2.
    Doors – 11pm ‘til late
    Tickets €12.50 (inc. booking fee) available in advance from Ticketmaster and usual outlets. www.ticketmaster.ie

www.nick-curly.de
    http://www.residentadvisor.net/dj/nickcurly

A relentless and unstoppable Nick Curly heads into 2012 on the back of yet another excellent year. Nick once again reached the highest echelons of Resident Advisor’s annual DJ poll, released Cocoon’s biggest selling 12” of 2011 and his residency at Space Ibiza’s Kehakuma continued to break new ground. Unquestionably proud of his home-town, this Mannheim native’s talent and determination has long outlasted the hype that broke out in the late 00’s over the house sound which emerged there.

January 1 sees him launch his ‘Between The Lines’ tour at the Cecille showcase at Mexico’s BPM Festival, alongside DJ Sneak. Perhaps it is fitting that his debut tour show brings together Nick, his own label which helped propel him to his current standing and one of his own personal heroes in the form of Sneak.

‘Between The Lines’ refers to the debut artist album from Nick Curly. Recorded in the latter half of 2011, it is scheduled for release in March 2012 on Cecille Records. Given his undoubted success in releasing dance-floor cuts, the somewhat slower feel of the album may come as a surprise to some, although the artist himself has always been ready to show a different face to his musical expression. “My main aim with this project was to capture an emotional feeling” explains Nick. “I brought in live instrumentation to give more sonic depth and I think the vocals of Rebecca Maas, Luca Sportiello and, in particular, Worthy Davis give the tracks exactly what I was looking for – ‘Piano in the Dark’ and ‘Underground’ being the examples I would highlight.”

And what of the album’s title? “Well, of course, I am German, but not 100% German orientated with my work. In fact, there have been many occasions when I am playing at home and people are surprised that I am German when they meet me - I have no idea why that is! I spend much time touring and playing in the UK, the USA and around the world. Sometimes I feel that I don’t really belong in one particular place, the same with my music.”

Lovers of his club music, should not fear. Nick has things on the way to keep you warm. His huge remix of Zoo Brazil’s ‘Slob’ has just been released on Sci+Tec and already climbing charts. ‘Still Not Sorry’ follows shortly afterwards on 8 Bit and the final EP before the album ‘A Certain Someone’ arrives in January.

Demand for Nick’s DJ sets remain as high as ever – with tour dates confirmed in Mexico City, Stockholm, Berlin, Cologne, Bogota, Lima, Hamburg, Beijing, Tokyo, Newcastle, Milan, Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne, Wurzberg, Rome, Lyon, Zurich, Mallorca, New York, Toronto, Geneva and more besides.

Follow the ‘Between The Lines’ tour at http://www.facebook.com/nickcurlyofficial

Nick Curly releases debut album "Between the Lines"

ʼBetween the Linesʼ – a title and content have seldom harmonised better than with Nick Curly's debut album.

With a lot of soul, empathy and musical subtlety, the Mannheim native is making his way from the dancefloors of this world into the ranks of timeless house producers à la Moodymann, Move D or Larry Heard. ʻBetween the Linesʼ is an album that wants to be heard and not just praised.

Nick Curly – a name that has defined the image of the global club scene over the last few years like no other. As the driving force behind the so-called "Sound of Mannheim", Curly was long considered the rising star of the international house scene. That is a status he has long since left behind him. Having arrived at the top of the international DJ elite, the world-famous Ibiza club ʻSpaceʼ even recently honoured him with a residency – a distinction that is otherwise reserved for genre greats such as Carl Cox and Armin van Buuren.

With ʻBetween the Linesʼ, Nick Curly is now taking the next step in his already impressive career. As the title suggests, there is more to it than a mere reflection of his DJ career so far. Rather, on his debut album, the Mannheimer presents himself from a different angle, offering the listener an insight into the man Nick Curly – away from the bright lights of the club circus. With ʻBetween the Linesʼ we can look forward to a thoroughly sophisticated artist album. Contrary to the trend towards sterile tracks straight out of the computer, Curly gives us the classic tools of good music: real instruments, real singers, real emotion. In this sense, his debut is musically rich and spoils the audience with virtuoso bass lines, distinctive vocal parts and organic percussion. This can especially be heard in ʻPiano in the Darkʼ, for example. Its melancholic piano parts in combination with the emotionally resonant voice of singer Worthy Davis exquisitely suggest the charm of legendary New York piano bars. Nick Curly has always remained faithful to the 4/4 beat without in any way compromising the diversity of his atmospheric tracks. Rather, the catchy rhythms further reinforce the message of his tracks. The dry grooving drum patterns in ʻWrong Hands"ʼ, for example, are beautifully complemented by the hypnotic synth chords. A piece of modern Detroit, which – typical of ʻBetween the Linesʼ – works as well at home as it does on the dancefloor. Overall, with its intelligent arrangements and sophisticated production, Nick Curly's first studio album presents a refreshing sonic experience that will appeal to music lovers and invite repeated listening.

Naturally, ʻBetween the Linesʼ will appear on Cécille Records, the label with which Nick Curly laid the foundation for his career and made the "Sound of Mannheim" known all over the world. The album will hit the stores on the 19th of March. You can already catch a first glimpse at the official release party on the 17th of March at Curly's longstanding residence, the Loft Club in Ludwigshafen. An extended world tour is on the cards, which will find the Mannheimer paying visits to South America, Asia, Australia, across Europe and North America.

nickcurlyspace.jpg

Comments

Advertisement