Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back in our day....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Well of course there should be carrots. (What you do with them is another matter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

I remember being given a dish of breakfast cereal (I must have been about four at the time - in the early 1950's) which consisted of strips of white bread, just a little demerara sugar and some milk poured over it - and I thought was great fun eating that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

franc 91 wrote: »
    I remember being given a dish of breakfast cereal (I must have been about four at the time - in the early 1950's) which consisted of strips of white bread, just a little demerara sugar and some milk poured over it - and I thought was great fun eating that.

Sometimes known as 'pobs' - in England anyway, I think it has another name in Ireland but I can't remember what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Alice1

looksee wrote: »
    Sometimes known as 'pobs' - in England anyway, I think it has another name in Ireland but I can't remember what it is.
    Some folk in Ireland call it "goody"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

You got it in one Alice! I lived close to the National school so used to go home for my lunch. Goody ........ made from wedges of currant bread, layered with sugar and hot milk poured over. To be washed down with a mug of Cocoa. Have had neither since, er, 1961

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Spread wrote: »
    You got it in one Alice! I lived close to the National school so used to go home for my lunch. Goody ........ made from wedges of currant bread, layered with sugar and hot milk poured over. To be washed down with a mug of Cocoa. Have had neither since, er, 1961

Goody! A staple in our house.

When my Mam minded my babas in the early 80s they got goody as well...and rusks in the bottle...and mashed spuds :)

Looks like you cant fill the babas bellies anymore.? They slept then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

I have started doing something that I remember my mother doing. She would save the bones and put them in the freezer until she had collected enough to put on a stock pot. Home made stock is so much nicer than the stock cubes and stock pots from the supermarket. It's a money saver too.

looksee wrote: »

Lord I remember pobs, me dad loved it when he had all his teeth out. (He had to, as it was all he could stomach for a week or two.)
    I have started doing something that I remember my mother doing. She would save the bones and put them in the freezer until she had collected enough to put on a stock pot. Home made stock is so much nicer than the stock cubes and stock pots from the supermarket. It's a money saver too.

YES home made stock with ham bones to make "pea wack" with. I still love it when I can be bothered to make it. Pea and ham soup is the poor version of it that you can buy fairly cheaply in a supermarket. Not quite as good, but not that bad really. Dunk yer bread in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

Isn't that where the other term for a Liverpudlian comes from? as opposed to scouse, that is?

Isn't that where the other term for a Liverpudlian comes from? as opposed to scouse, that is?

Yes I think so franc. I used to always have to nickname Wack as a youngun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement