Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will game shops close this year? - Gamestop UK abandons stores

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That's a massive move from them if true. I suppose it was only a matter of time, as everything is going online anyway, but it seems pretty sudden. Does anyone remember this announcement 6 months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

The one in Belfast is gone entirely. Went in yesterday to trade in MW3 but all that's left is two posters on the shopfront saying they've relocated their operations to their website. Never cared much for the shop but sucks major ass for their employees

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

that is mentioned in "
    Will game shops close this year? " thread.

shocking, ireland next :(. please dont close my local gamestop!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm a dope, I merged threads and changed the title, think this is massive news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Shame about the Belfast store it was great for rare DVDs and weird stuff, nice staff too. I can see at least 1 of the 3 city centre stores closing in Dublin, I would guess Stephens Green due to the rent issues, if they do decide to hit the Irish stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I think the bury-all title of 'Gamestop leaving UK' is a bit disingenuous, and overstated. I mean, they've never really had all that pronounced a presence in the UK to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

There were two stores to my knowledge on mainland UK. The Bullring centre in Birmingham and one in Stockport.

so gamestop is more popular here, then uk and north?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

really hoping gamestop goes under, and takes game informer with it

*crosses fingers*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Yep. I lived in liverpool, and the northwest generally, spent a few months in london, never once saw a single gamestop there. Few in the north though aren't there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Well there were no Gamestops in Newcastle anyway.

I think Gamestation and Game have the UK well sewn up, plus there are indies like Grainger games which have a few stores in the North East and they had great prices. Not to mention the various supermarkets that carry games there too.

well gamestop has a big share of market in ireland. would they really go as far as pulling out of uk and ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115457-GameStop-Abandons-U-K-Stores
    The U.S. based retail chain closed its last stores in Northern Ireland this weekend.
    Until recently, GameStop had quite a few stores in the United Kingdom but the retailer is closing up shop. Customers dropping by stores in Newry and Belfast this weekend saw shutters closed and flyers redirecting them to the GameStop UK website for all commerce from now on. GameStop representatives have gone on record saying the closures were all part of the plan to serve British customers via the online portal only. Apparently, that plan doesn't include stores in the Republic of Ireland, as all of those stores are unaffected.
    "We are transferring all of our UK business on-line," the flyers all read. "We will honor all outstanding deposits and gift cards."
    GameStop said that the closures are a calculated move. "The recent store closures in Northern Ireland are part of our plan, announced six months ago, to exit the UK market from a brick and mortar perspective," said GameStop's commercial director Michael Finucane.
    "We started this process last year closing our Birmingham, Stockport and Belfast locations," he said. "Correspondingly, we have experienced tremendous sales growth on our UK ecommerce site. Our go forward plan is to serve the UK market with enhanced digital and online offerings."
    I'm not sure if there are political motivations behind this withdrawal, but the borders seem to suggest something going on behind the scenes. Why would GameStop abandon one territory when it is clearly successful in Ireland already with 20+ stores? Why stop at the border?

This is some shocking stuff going completley online would definitley loose me as a customer considering I refuse to get a PayPAl account or a credit card and it is really hard to simply browse on the net considering if you go into a store its all there to pick up and read.
    Anyway just thought I would share. Thoughts? Worrys?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115457-GameStop-Abandons-U-K-Stores

This is some shocking stuff going completley online would definitley loose me as a customer considering I refuse to get a PayPAl account or a credit card and it is really hard to simply browse on the net considering if you go into a store its all there to pick up and read.

old news is old news m8.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Threads merged. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    Threads merged. :)

third time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

jesus

you're going to hate the future

Advertisement