Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT Issue with EMobile

Options
  • 16-01-2012 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

I have posted this query on the boards talk to thread, but got no response and now EMobile are trying to fob me off

Short version

EMobile bill arrives, states Vat @ 23% but when I multiply the monthly charge x .23 it is less than the VAT I have actually been charge

so i calculated my monthly charge x 27.1% and it equals the amount of Vat that I have been charged

so basically I have been charged 27.1% and not the 23% as stated

Rang on Friday and the girl did not grasp the potential seriousness of the matter as these bills are computer generated and not manually calculated (and it is is easy to miscalculate manually) and so for every E1 Million worth of phone calls billed, there is a potential vat overcharge of E40,000

Posted a thread on the Eircom forum on boards and did not receive a reply

Rang Comrag who can do nothing as EMobile are crediting something from the bill, so therefore there is no complaint (so much for them being a regulator for the communications industry where they will not investigate whether or not there is a problem with the vat calculations)

SO posted to facebook, immediate response to email my details, did so and instead of emailing me back, they post on Facebook, that it is an isolated incident with my bill but thanks for raising the issue

Now I do not accept this, these are computer generated invoices, so it cannot be solely my account which is at fault and then for me, the only person that this happened to, to actually discover the overcharge WHAT ARE THE CHANCES

so can other people check their accounts and actually work out the Vat they should have been charged -v- what was actually charged?

i would be sooooooo delighted if there are more people out there who are also part of this isolated incident as I cannot see how it can only affect one individual account

(unless there is someone who knows how these computer programmes work and can share how it is possible for one isolated glitch)

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I have posted this query on the boards talk to thread, but got no response and now EMobile are trying to fob me off

Short version

EMobile bill arrives, states Vat @ 23% but when I multiply the monthly charge x .23 it is less than the VAT I have actually been charge

so i calculated my monthly charge x 27.1% and it equals the amount of Vat that I have been charged

so basically I have been charged 27.1% and not the 23% as stated

Rang on Friday and the girl did not grasp the potential seriousness of the matter as these bills are computer generated and not manually calculated (and it is is easy to miscalculate manually) and so for every E1 Million worth of phone calls billed, there is a potential vat overcharge of E40,000

Posted a thread on the Eircom forum on boards and did not receive a reply

Rang Comrag who can do nothing as EMobile are crediting something from the bill, so therefore there is no complaint (so much for them being a regulator for the communications industry where they will not investigate whether or not there is a problem with the vat calculations)

SO posted to facebook, immediate response to email my details, did so and instead of emailing me back, they post on Facebook, that it is an isolated incident with my bill but thanks for raising the issue

Now I do not accept this, these are computer generated invoices, so it cannot be solely my account which is at fault and then for me, the only person that this happened to, to actually discover the overcharge WHAT ARE THE CHANCES

so can other people check their accounts and actually work out the Vat they should have been charged -v- what was actually charged?

i would be sooooooo delighted if there are more people out there who are also part of this isolated incident as I cannot see how it can only affect one individual account

(unless there is someone who knows how these computer programmes work and can share how it is possible for one isolated glitch)

many thanks

You are assuming the "Monthly charge" is the total of the invoice, never seen an eMobile bill, but can you post all the relevant figures and maybe we can figure it out, unless of course they fecked up the VAT change over.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭hairyairyfairy

This is what is on my bill and there is no balance coming through

Current Monthly charges (excl. VAT) E17.67
    Vat @23% E4.79
    Total Current Amount E22.46

Except 23% of 17.67 is E4.064
    whereas 27% of 17.67 is E4.77 (so actually being charged in excess of 27%)

now while my figures are small, (this is an exceptionally small bill) given the potential value of bills issued in one month by Emobile, they could in effect be overcharging up to E40,000 per E1,000,000 worth of calls

as explained, I cannot be an isolated incident, it just does not make sense when it is a computer generated invoice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

This is what is on my bill and there is no balance coming through

Current Monthly charges (excl. VAT) E17.67
    Vat @23% E4.79
    Total Current Amount E22.46

Except 23% of 17.67 is E4.064
    whereas 27% of 17.67 is E4.77 (so actually being charged in excess of 27%)

now while my figures are small, (this is an exceptionally small bill) given the potential value of bills issued in one month by Emobile, they could in effect be overcharging up to E40,000 per E1,000,000 worth of calls

as explained, I cannot be an isolated incident, it just does not make sense when it is a computer generated invoice

Working Backwards, either the true Sub-Total is 18.26 and there is a charge of €0.59 someone on the bill in a non-obvious position,

Or they did make a bit of a mess with your bill.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP, your assuming your case is not a isolated incident, you are assuming there are others yet you have no proof. As such your assuming stuff without any actual proof.

Having dealt with internal billing systems for telecoms in the past, even though they are computer generated you'd be surprised it is possible to have just one customer with an issue on their bill. I know I've seen it.

What exactly do you expect Eircom to do? they are not going to discuss their internal systems with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You should forward your concerns to the revenue commissioners and let them check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

foggy_lad wrote: »
    You should forward your concerns to the revenue commissioners and let them check it out.

??

Or maybe just ring them up and ask them to check it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭hairyairyfairy

thanks drunkmonkey, interesting article, but that is not what happened to me

my bill says vat @23% (which is the correct rate) but where i was actually charged 27% when i worked out the figures

and in response to previous poster, yes i am assuming that i am not the only person that this has affected, as how many people actually check their figures? we may check what was the most expensive call, longest call etc but do how many check that the vat is calculated correctly?

so statistically speaking, what re the chances that the only person who was affected in this isolated incident also managed to spot the anomaly? it must be pretty high statistically and that is why i am assuming that there are others affected

what the article, referred to above, does prove, is that there is the chance for human error, and all i wanted was for EMobile to say was, yes there was a mistake, thank you for bringing it to our attention and this is what we are going to do to rectify it.

I don't want to know the ins and outs of their computer system, as that would go over my head, but i do want to be assured that if a mistake was made, that it would be rectified for the people involved and that it would not happen again in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

what the article, referred to above, does prove, is that there is the chance for human error, and all i wanted was for EMobile to say was, yes there was a mistake, thank you for bringing it to our attention and this is what we are going to do to rectify it.

From your first post, haven't they already given you the answer you seek?

It may have take a little while, but they've admitted a mistake was made, and I presume they've corrected your bill now. What more is there?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Anyone with emobile as a business account will spot this pronto, as they submit the invoice to their accounts. So if its a big problem, yes it will become known, if it doesnt, I wouldnt assume thats because noone noticed but because it was an isolated or very low scale issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Just got my bill and the vat calculation is correct on it. But looking at it, I will not be using 11811 again. Charged €4.12 for a call to them.

Advertisement