Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Depollution System Faulty, '08 407 diesel

Options
  • 16-01-2012 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this. This has happened several times now - engine management alarm lights, depollution system faulty error appear and engines loses power -I wouldn't like to be flying down motorway when this happens.

The car was returned to the dealer who said that it was a case of 'dirty' diesel and drained the fuel filter but this didn't fix the problem. Does it sounds like the depollution filter is blocked? On other occasions the car is quite jerky - like it suddenly gets a boost of power, like it's firing on three cylinders.

Any ideas?
    Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

ains wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this. This has happened several times now - engine management alarm lights, depollution system faulty error appear and engines loses power -I wouldn't like to be flying down motorway when this happens.

The car was returned to the dealer who said that it was a case of 'dirty' diesel and drained the fuel filter but this didn't fix the problem. Does it sounds like the depollution filter is blocked? On other occasions the car is quite jerky - like it suddenly gets a boost of power, like it's firing on three cylinders.

Any ideas?
    Cheers in advance

If peugeot said it was dirty diesel i can't understand why they did'nt replace the fuel filter...:rolleyes:
    Its the first thing i would do...if a new filter doesnt sort it then you need to get it hooked up to some good level diagnostic equipment.
    keep us posted..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ains

Thanks for the quick reply Row,

I expect that were fobbing me (actually my Dad) off. There was a garage in the area that was suspected of selling dirty diesel but the fuel has been only bought from reputable garages in the last 9 months or so.

How much do you think I can expect to pay for a new fuel filter?

Cheers!

Thanks for the quick reply Row,

I expect that were fobbing me (actually my Dad) off. There was a garage in the area that was suspected of selling dirty diesel but the fuel has been only bought from reputable garages in the last 9 months or so.

How much do you think I can expect to pay for a new fuel filter?

Cheers!

I tend to buy my filters on line but these can be also purchased from
    any good autofactors as well as they main dealers.
    I'd say you'd be paying anything from €40 upwards...
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PEUGEOT-407-1-6-HDi-FUEL-FILTER-PLASTIC-HOUSING-04-/120771728174?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1e8e532e

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

A fuel filter can cost anything from 25 to 60 quid depending on car / engine.

But I don't think that is where the problem lies. I think it's the dreaded DPF (diesel particulate filter) that is causing your problem, as you suspect yourself. Did Peugeot put it on their diagnostic system? If so any results (other than a seemingly random 'dirty diesel' diagnosis)?

What annual mileage are you doing and are you doing lots of short journeys or stop / start stuff around town? If so you should be driving either an older diesel or a petrol car IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

mathepac wrote: »
    A fuel filter can cost anything from 25 to 60 quid depending on car / engine.

But I don't think that is where the problem lies. I think it's the dreaded DPF (diesel particulate filter) that is causing your problem, as you suspect yourself. Did Peugeot put it on their diagnostic system? If so any results (other than a seemingly random 'dirty diesel' diagnosis)?

What annual mileage are you doing and are you doing lots of short journeys or stop / start stuff around town? If so you should be driving either an older diesel or a petrol car IMHO.

Sounds like it was a problem with dpf to me as well. was the car running badly the day you took it to the dealer. It may need regeneration, although its surprising the dealer did not mention this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I agree with Row, change the fuel filter before doing anything else. They can cause all sorts of running faults on the 1.6hdi if they get dirty. They also cause expensive sounding depollution system warnings and fuel system faults to be logged in the ECU which if interpreted by the wrong person could cause you to spend a lot of money that you don't need to. €40-50 for a new filter plus a few quid for fitting certainly won't do any harm and could actually fix the problem.

Johnayo: I'm not sure as it's my Dad's car and he couldn't remember the exact details (over a year ago). Called dealer today and they searched records and all they could tell me was that it was dirty diesel and they drained fuel filter. I suspect that they never even hooked it up to their diagnostic system!

Mathepac: car does about 40K annually, no city driving.

Thanks guys, I'll try changing the fuel filter first.

If you need a fuel filter replacment guide on a 1.6hdi diesel pm me an email and i'll send you some info..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cagy1

Hi all,

Any ideas?
    Cheers in advance

on most car since 07, the exhaust is fitted with a particle filter, on the peugeot it is close to the manifold/turbo.This eliminated the black smoke from the exhaust. The black soot is burned off during driving by the engine management unit allowing the exhausy get extreamly hot. However the filter over time get blocked. i.e. 60 to 100 thousand miles. Then the filter has to be replaced. Unfortunately this is expensive. There is also a chemical that is dosed into the diesel tank. this has to be replaced/ topped up again 60 to 100k miles. unfortunately you have talk to your main dealer.

cagy1 wrote: »
    unfortunately you have talk to your main dealer.

No you don't....;)..There are plenty of good independent garages with good
    level diagnostic equipment that can reset the dpf system on Peugeots/Citroens..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 cagy1

Row wrote: »
    No you don't....;)..There are plenty of good independent garages with good
    level diagnostic equipment that can reset the dpf system on Peugeots/Citroens..:)
    i did use the word unfortunately, but you are right a good diagnostic tool will reset, but depending on the milege on the FAP it may need to be replaced, which can be got from a motor factors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Hi all,

Any ideas?
    Cheers in advance

Had same type of issue, it turned out to be the heater plugs or glow plugs or what ever they are called. Been running as smooth as silk since. Unfortuatley that "depollution system faulty error" covers a plethera of faults, without proper diagnostics your as well to be pissing against the wind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Her car is a C5, goes from school to shops to the mammy's and home. And we live within a 5 minute walk or less of the former three.

In four years its thrown up a depollution warning on the satnav screen once. It was 2k overdue for a service at the time, so it got that-mech said the filters were filthy-and told her to take it for a good run and keep it in fourth. No problems since-it's most likely a combination of either or both of the above root causes in most cases.

Bit worrying when the thing lights up like a christmas tree though-especially when its French!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

I have a 307 sw an similar problem.White knuckle ride when trying to pass anything car momentarily dies for just one second no lights or anything but its scary.Herself mostly drive the car lots of short journeys the fan runs on for upto 6 minutes sometimes burning of deposits from the filter.Living with it six years now, the car that is.No resolution while under warranty no faults found.:confused:

cagy1 wrote: »
    i did use the word unfortunately, but you are right a good diagnostic tool will reset, but depending on the milege on the FAP it may need to be replaced, which can be got from a motor factors

Update: I brought it to a Peugeot dealer and the following showed up on diagnostics:
    pre-heat fuel box 6
    glow plug x4
    fuel filter

A local garage changed the fuel filter for me. Haven't driven it much since so can't be sure that this has fixed the problem. Looks like it might be the same problem as gpjordanf1 had so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Update: I brought it to a Peugeot dealer and the following showed up on diagnostics:
    pre-heat fuel box 6
    glow plug x4
    fuel filter

A local garage changed the fuel filter for me. Haven't driven it much since so can't be sure that this has fixed the problem. Looks like it might be the same problem as gpjordanf1 had so...

Trust me ains, its a different car with the glow plugs done!!! Cost about €300 in a main dealers or was it €280, anyway it was money well spent!

A set of glow plugs should work out around 60-70 euro from most autofactors...its best to use Beru as they are good quality.
    Fitting them can be tricky as there at the back of the engine and the tips of the old plugs can break in the head if care is not taken....Thinking again even when care is taken the can still break...:eek:

Row wrote: »
    A set of glow plugs should work out around 60-70 euro from most autofactors...its best to use Beru as they are good quality.
    Fitting them can be tricky as there at the back of the engine and the tips of the old plugs can break in the head if care is not taken....Thinking again even when care is taken the can still break...:eek:

I thought glow plugs were used for starting the engine though. Could you guys explain how these could be the source of my problem since the issue occurs once the car's been running for a good while. Thanks in advance.

I thought glow plugs were used for starting the engine though. Could you guys explain how these could be the source of my problem since the issue occurs once the car's been running for a good while. Thanks in advance.

On these engines (and most other modern diesels) the glow plugs are used after the engine is started from cold...this reduces smoke and poor running when cold.
    Also on these engines (with dpf fitted) the glow plugs are used when the diesel particle filter needs to regenerate as they aid with increasing the temp within the dpf and put an extra load on the engine which also creates more heat within the dpf.
    The older idi diesels needed glowplugs on startup but di engine not so much unless the temp is below 0 degs C.

Thanks Row. Looks like that's the next step so - cheers.

Ains

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 wielebny

hi
    just have same problem with my peugeot 407 1,6 diesel. i have info depollution system faulty. how i can fix that

wielebny wrote: »
    hi
    just have same problem with my peugeot 407 1,6 diesel. i have info depollution system faulty. how i can fix that

The only way to find out whats flagging the depollution system faulty is to get it hooked up to diagnostic equipment...otherwise your shooting in the dark.

This fault is basically an engine management light...;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement