Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What course is right for me?

Options
  • 16-01-2012 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Okay I want to do something computer/engineering wise. Like I mean physically. I've looked at Computer Science/Applications and still don't know the difference. I like working with computers and all the components and stuff and finding out how they work (I've built a custom pc before and loved every moment of it). I'm not so much into programming and coding and all that sort of shyte. I like to work with my hands is what I'm trying to say.
    So does anyone have any hints as to what course might interest me?

My subjects are:
    Maths - Ordinary
    Irish - Ordinary
    English - Higher
    French - Ordinary
    Physics - Higher
    Construction Studies - Higher
    DCG - Higher
    LCVP

I know I've shot myself dropping down to ordinary maths if I'm looking to do most engineering courses but I just couldn't chance a fail :P

Any ways thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭dahamster

Jude_2010 wrote: »
    Okay I want to do something computer/engineering wise. Like I mean physically. I've looked at Computer Science/Applications and still don't know the difference. I like working with computers and all the components and stuff and finding out how they work (I've built a custom pc before and loved every moment of it). I'm not so much into programming and coding and all that sort of shyte. I like to work with my hands is what I'm trying to say.
    So does anyone have any hints as to what course might interest me?

My subjects are:
    Maths - Ordinary
    Irish - Ordinary
    English - Higher
    French - Ordinary
    Physics - Higher
    Construction Studies - Higher
    DCG - Higher
    LCVP

I know I've shot myself dropping down to ordinary maths if I'm looking to do most engineering courses but I just couldn't chance a fail :P

Any ways thanks for reading

Electronic Eng/ Computer Eng. Hardware oriented with software options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

A lot of the engineering courses in ITs are very practical, maybe you could look into some of those ones? You will be able to get into those courses with ordinary level maths too.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I'd warn you programing is a huge part of most computer courses. Computer science would be more maths and physics involved. Putting PCs together isn't as hard as most people think, its like putting ikea furniture together, not that much can be covered in just hardware in a college course without getting right down to the physics.

Go to a few open days, or watch some lectures online maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ecribs

Me too I want to do a computing Course but I don't like maths ...I'm told by some that maths is essential and by others it isn't ...any suggestions??? I love computers ...doin the leavin this year anyone know he best course to go to???

Advertisement