Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO + Repeating = ?

Options
  • 16-01-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this subject has already been addressed in a thread but I want to know this before I fill in my CAO form

Okay, I'm repeating my Leaving this year and am pretty much stumped as to how the CAO works this time around.

I've been told that:

-The CAO picks your best points total with regard to both results and they count for getting into courses in college

-You get a new exam number this year to use for your LC this time around

-You use your old exam number and the results this year override those last year

-As soon as you enter your new CAO your results from last year count for nothing

But basically all these things seem to contradict each other. Would someone be able to tell me what actually is the CAO policy regarding repeats and whether or not points disappear from existence if i fill in a new CAO form this year?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

hey i'm repeating too, i'm not 100% positive but i think what happens is:

you get a new cao number, you just apply like a new applicant.
    you'll get a new exam number later on for actually doing the Leaving, but you write down your old number if you are carrying a subject like maths (there is something about previous years of doing the lc on the application for cao)
    and the CAO takes the points you get this year for which college course you get, even if you got more the previous year.
    as far as i know thats what it is anyway! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

The CAO takes the points from whichever year you scored highest. You can't mix and match results from different years to get as high as possible, the points come from one sitting. Neither set of points overrides the other...they will simply take the best year :)

Your requirements, however, are taken from both, for example, if you got the requirement last year for maths, and this year for English, then that is acceptable.

You're given a new CAO number this year, but on the form you will be asked to give last years number (either CAO or exam number, not 100% sure!) so they can retrieve your results.

Advertisement