Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Botched Polynesian Tattoo

Options
  • 16-01-2012 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi folks, After months of research of what i wanted to get done I started a polynesian tattoo about 4 months ago and although it isnt finished (3/4 length sleeve) I am very unhappy with whats been done so far. My main problem is with the centre of the tattoo as the small diamond shapes are not of equal size. Very badly done in my opinion.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/151/polytat.jpg/

My question is would it be easy to get a cover up done over this without laser tattoo removal?

I would also appreciate any ideas on what could be done in terms of a cover up i.e more colorful piece etc

polytat.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Perhaps go into an artist and see if they can touch it up for you and straighten out the lines. Problem with a coverup is that the bottom half of it might be a bit too black to tattoo something over it so a touchup/rejig of the design might be your only option as well as laser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kaddy

Yeah its probably best to ask an artist. I figured the heavy black might be a bit of a problem.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Have to say OP--That doesnt look that bad.Its not finished.My tribal was the same.It looked wrong because it wasnt shaded/filled.You need to get it finished before saying its a bad job.

I agree that some of the lines could be straighter but thats something easily fixed.Or else the artist was rushing through the outline and was going to fix the lines with the black fill.

Whos the artist--(pm if you want)

I'm probably quick to judge but I'd just be wary that if I went in for the completion and then there's more im unhappy about... Its alot of black ink you know. I'm in two minds on whether to switch artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

kaddy wrote: »
    I'm probably quick to judge but I'd just be wary that if I went in for the completion and then there's more im unhappy about... Its alot of black ink you know. I'm in two minds on whether to switch artists.

Based on what's already done, to be honest, I'd recommend this. It's very uneven looking. Getting it lasered wound mean waiting for it to be finished healing first, then getting it done, with the chance of scarring.

I'd say your best option, if you still like the idea you had, is to get it redone by another artist, one that you can see from their portfolio does good Polynesian style work.

• Advertisement

Yea I'd be positive towards completing the polynesian but maybe not with the current artist. Have you ever heard of anyone going for a design over a polynesian?? i.e japanese etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Have to say OP--That doesnt look that bad.

What am I missing because that looks like appalling work to me!

Hope you find a solution OP!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

What am I missing because that looks like appalling work to me!

Hope you find a solution OP!

You cant judge a tattoo on the outline alone.In the case of a tribal which is going to all black the outline always looks off until its fully finished.

The artist that done this has some really good work in his portfolio and Id trust that this is going to look a whole lot better when finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Hellrazer wrote: »
    You cant judge a tattoo on the outline alone.In the case of a tribal which is going to all black the outline always looks off until its fully finished.

The artist that done this has some really good work in his portfolio and Id trust that this is going to look a whole lot better when finished.

Problem is, it's not a tribal/not meant to be a tribal, it's meant to be polynesian, which generally features lots of evenly spaces lines and blank space, and the work done so far looks nowhere near even to be perfectly honest!

Problem is, it's not a tribal/not meant to be a tribal, it's meant to be polynesian, which generally features lots of evenly spaces lines and blank space, and the work done so far looks nowhere near even to be perfectly honest!

Damo--But the OP has said its not finished in his first post so obviously the tattooist has a lot more to do on it.All those uneven lines could be fixed up by this artist without any doubt if the OP pointed out the bits thats hes not happy with to his artist.

Also most Polynesian Tattoos have intricate details in the (for example in the ops original pic) white spaces.The OPs tattoo has a lot of work left to do on it.If its what Im thinking is going to be done there will be no huge white spaces in it--It will be filled with these intricate details.

Ive seen this blokes work and its actually quite good so Id imagine the first port of call would be the lad who started it--let him say what hes going to do with it.

I dont think the OP has brought this up with the artist at all but he really should.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Any update OP?

Can you name who the artist is?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

lookin for update also

i think it would be bad to name and shame the artist to be fair

you can blast a guy and judge him on some outlines, could affect his reputation.. at least wait till we have a finished piece to judge

Advertisement