Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions before I move..

• 16-01-2012 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Im moving to Australia in the next 2 months. I dont have an exact date yet as Im waiting on my 457 visa and medical. Ive got sponsorship so the company are handling the visa application for me. I have a few questions though before I go. I need health insurance for going over. I have Quinn health care insurance here but it will only cover me for 6 months abroad. I rang them today and they told me for more permanent insurance I should contact Bupa international. I wll do tha tomorrow. My question is though, who is the best to get insurance from? There are loads of companies dong it.

I am bringing over tools and some other personal stuff. I will have it shipped. Any one got any good shipping companies?

Ive been told that the common wealth bank is good to start off banking with over there. Is this true?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LunarEclipse83

Hey,

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question but I am actually interested in an answer to your question myself. I am going to Oz in 2 months for a year...on my own! and I already have VHI & I was wondering if it covers me while I am in Oz. Just wondering what part of Oz you are going to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭horse7

Well done,hope all goes well for you. Was it difficult to get an employer to sponsor you and can you recommend any web sites where employers may have an interest in finding a suitable employee.(graphic designer)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭richiee

I am going to a town 150 miles from Sydney. There seems to be loads of work over there. Im a mechanic and had no problem getting a sponsor. I dont know anything about work in graphic design tho, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Badger_123

Hi...

VHI also will only cover you for a short period, I do know that they have an option called VHI Global which will cover you indefinitely abroad, but you must bf going for in excess of 6 months to take it out. it's around the 900€ mark for 12 months.

Careline shipping are supposed to be good but they have a 6 box minimum so was too expensive for me... Still looking! An Post will send 20kg registered to Perth for €135.

Waiting on 457 here also, the waiting part is tedious!
    Best of luck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 acdplumber

hey i was with vhi but was way 2 pricey for the travelling to perth got insurance with multitrip.com for around 240

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 LunarEclipse83

Thanks for the replies guys! I must look into this, cos I'd rather not take the chance of not having any cover for the year. Better to be safe than sorry you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Badger_123

Excessbaggage.com best value I have found so far... Operate from UK but will ship from Ireland.. X2 boxes one 4.5 cubic ft and one 6 cubic ft by ship to your door in Perth for 260.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,506 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

richiee wrote: »
    I need health insurance for going over. I have Quinn health care insurance here but it will only cover me for 6 months abroad. I rang them today and they told me for more permanent insurance I should contact Bupa international.

You don't need health insurance for a 457 visa if you are from the UK or Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

I have a question. Im going to oz for 3months just to travel. Im wondering how will i manage my money over there. should i get a bank account over there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Have you a credit card? I would probably just put the money I will use on that and withdraw from ATM's that way. I may be wrong, but I don't think that you will get charged a Cash Advance Fee if your account is in credit.

• Advertisement

Yes i have applied for a credit card. so do i put all my money i will need on the credit card and take it out of atms over there? will i not hav to pay massive interest rates if i do this though?

Don't think so as the money is yours if you get me. Just say you get a CC and it has a zero balance. If you put say €1,000 on it, then the balance will be -€1,000. As far as I know, you can withdraw up to this amount from ATM's without being charged interest. If you get approved for the CC, then ring the company and ask what the story is.

You should link your CC to your internet banking here before you go and then you can keep track of the balance while you're there.

Ah yes i understand what ur saying thanks. Hav u ever been to oz? I got a 3month holiday visa. u wouldnt no if i wanted to stay over there for longer, lets say a year, could i apply for the visa over there or would i hav to come home first to get the longer visa?

Yep, did a year on a Working Holiday Visa waaay back in '06/'07!! Not sure what the craic would be re: extending a holiday visa while there but if u intend on working even a little out there then I'd get the WHV if I were u. We went through a company called Visafirst when we were going and had no bother with them, can't remember what their fee was but it can't have been much if I paid for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 IrishGirl12

Hi all,

If you have any advise I would relly appreciate it. I am moving to Oz on a working holiday visa. I have been an Aviva health insurance member for approx 6 years now. NOt sure if I should cancel or keep paying ? The waiting period when I come back will be a nightmare ?

If you have any advise on what ye did that would be great.

Many thanks :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Well for insurance you could try the company I work IT for www.guildhall.com.au

As for health cover we have deal with Ireland for some sort of cover will look it up when get to the office .

• Registered Users Posts: 47 IrishGirl12

Thanks

Advertisement