Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local knowledge required.....

Options
  • 16-01-2012 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I'm helping a friend organise her hen night. She was thinking about Waterford City but none of us have ever been there, so are a little unsure. She doesn't want a typical tacky hen, just a good night out with girlfriends. She's looking for some later bars with live music preferably and a 'not too young' crowd. Is there anywhere in Waterford City that would tick that box or should we take our search elsewhere?!
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

make sure and bring a note of your next of kin...cause you might get killed down there. oh and before any other boardies get offended yes im from waterford and yes it is gone a serious sh*thole and it needs to be sorted out......sorry i didnt really answer you question......go up to kilkenny its a great crack at the best of times :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Jesus Christ, if ever there was a case of if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything, this is it.

Nelbel, there are plenty of great options for hens in waterford. What date are you looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Hi, I work in a bar called the Mojo Lounge here in Waterford, it is an over 25's cocktail bar which plays music from the 70's 80's and 90's, could be right up your alley!

We also cater for food if wanted and do a provide a cocktail training class also, the crowd is normally between the ages of 25-45! always a good night

Other than that I would recommend trying Shortts but not too sure about the age bracket of the crowd anymore.

touchy touchy, isnt this a members opinion orientated website? didnt the fact that there was two serious assualts at the weekend and almost a fight every other weekend alert people to the fact that our dear old city is sliding down the sh*t pile very fast dont get me wrong im a proud waterford soul but i couldnt dream of lying and prentending to people that its rosey here and to be honest its mostly just the night life the rest of waterford is stunning...just not john st at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

S28382 wrote: »
    touchy touchy, isnt this a members opinion orientated website? didnt the fact that there was two serious assualts at the weekend and almost a fight every other weekend alert people to the fact that our dear old city is sliding down the sh*t pile very fast dont get me wrong im a proud waterford soul but i couldnt dream of lying and prentending to people that its rosey here and to be honest its mostly just the night life the rest of waterford is stunning...just not john st at night

There was one incident on John St and such incidents are rare in Waterford, hence the attention.

Such things can happen anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

So, given that the bug up your arse seems to be specific to John St at night, you could tell them to avoid John St at night, rather than try to persuade potential visitors to the city they'd be lucky to escape with their lives. :rolleyes:

And yes it is an opinion bla bla whatever you said, and abouttobebanned's opinion and my opinion is you're talking out the wrong orifice in your original reply...

So, given that the bug up your arse seems to be specific to John St at night, you could tell them to avoid John St at night, rather than try to persuade potential visitors to the city they'd be lucky to escape with their lives. :rolleyes:

And yes it is an opinion bla bla whatever you said, and abouttobebanned's opinion and my opinion is you're talking out the wrong orifice in your original reply...

haha sure let there be no panic im sure it wont put people off coming to waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

kryogen wrote: »
    Hi, I work in a bar called the Mojo Lounge here in Waterford, it is an over 25's cocktail bar which plays music from the 70's 80's and 90's, could be right up your alley!

We also cater for food if wanted and do a provide a cocktail training class also, the crowd is normally between the ages of 25-45! always a good night

Other than that I would recommend trying Shortts but not too sure about the age bracket of the crowd anymore.

Where is the Mojo Lounge

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

make sure and bring a note of your next of kin...cause you might get killed down there. oh and before any other boardies get offended yes im from waterford and yes it is gone a serious sh*thole and it needs to be sorted out......sorry i didnt really answer you question......go up to kilkenny its a great crack at the best of times :)

So theres never a row in Kilkenny?

Cop on s2!!:mad:

Come on down Girls - you'll be glad you did, theres something for everyone here.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Godsentme wrote: »

Come on down Girls - you'll be glad you did, theres something for everyone here.;)
    giggidy, wonder where they will end up :P

• Advertisement

cococoady wrote: »
    Where is the Mojo Lounge

On John Street, red door in between Centra and Hillbillys.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

kryogen wrote: »
    Where is the Mojo Lounge

On John Street, red door in between Centra and Hillbillys.

Ah right. Never heard of it b4. Must be only new

Yeah in its current form its only open a couple of months, building a good base crowd of regulars each week which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Nellbell, nevermind what trolls like s2832 say. Just to put your mind at ease, their was an incident here last week. Waterford is as safe if not safer than anyplace in Ireland.

There are loads of good and reasonable restaurants for a start doing earlybirds etc. L'Atomosphere on Henrietta street does a great early bird, 3 courses and glass of wine for 25 i think, food is excellent. You will need to book a gang of ye. Bodega (right where all the pubs are) is also very nice and very good, bit more pricey though.

There are loads of good pubs too, Dignity (gay bar but straight friendly) is very popular, they do various hen night promotions if you want some champagne etc.
    Kazbar and the front lounge would do live music so the bands on the third floor of kazbar are always enjoyable.
    You could see what is on in the forum, they do comedy nights and live music there also.

There are a good number of beauty salons in the city centre. Tramore beach is also not far (will need a car or taxi though), ye could get surfing lessons. Shopping in the city centre is reasonable to spend a couple of hours too.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

was there once, didn't like it

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Max Powers wrote: »
    Nellbell, nevermind what trolls like s2832 say.

Ah you can't beat the oul Waterford City Forum.

Not everyone who offers a different opinion to the majority is a troll.

I don't see why you have to resort to name calling. Attack the post, not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

NelBell,
    Check out Theatre Royal and Garter lane theatre also, there might be a decent show or 2 to choose from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Ah you can't beat the oul Waterford City Forum.

Not everyone who offers a different opinion to the majority is a troll.

I don't see why you have to resort to name calling. Attack the post, not the poster.

Well the post saying if you come to waterford you will die was total and utter rubbish and sometimes I wonder how some of these people even leave their house with fear. Waterford is really safe and at night when people are totally pissed sometimes there is trouble is that not the same everywhere.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Nellbell, nevermind what trolls like s2832 say. Just to put your mind at ease, their was an incident here last week. Waterford is as safe if not safer than anyplace in Ireland.

There are loads of good and reasonable restaurants for a start doing earlybirds etc. L'Atomosphere on Henrietta street does a great early bird, 3 courses and glass of wine for 25 i think, food is excellent. You will need to book a gang of ye. Bodega (right where all the pubs are) is also very nice and very good, bit more pricey though.

There are loads of good pubs too, Dignity (gay bar but straight friendly) is very popular, they do various hen night promotions if you want some champagne etc.
    Kazbar and the front lounge would do live music so the bands on the third floor of kazbar are always enjoyable.
    You could see what is on in the forum, they do comedy nights and live music there also.

There are a good number of beauty salons in the city centre. Tramore beach is also not far (will need a car or taxi though), ye could get surfing lessons. Shopping in the city centre is reasonable to spend a couple of hours too.

Ah now don't be calling me names there is no need for that sure that could be offensive to trolls, I was merely saying that Waterford is gone crazy at night as in regarding pubs and clubs the reason why I said what I said was to get a reaction and by god didn't ya react fair play, oh and by the way I'm entitled to my opinion good or bad or even indifferent :) save your internet toughness for youtube.

Godsentme wrote: »

Not compared to Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Ah now don't be calling me names there is no need for that sure that could be offensive to trolls, I was merely saying that Waterford is gone crazy at night as in regarding pubs and clubs the reason why I said what I said was to get a reaction and by god didn't ya react fair play, oh and by the way I'm entitled to my opinion good or bad or even indifferent :) save your internet toughness for youtube.

If the cap fits... :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29
    In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

We are talking about a hen night, with a bit of look they might bring you with them... all you'd need is a dress as you allready think like a woman.

Funfair wrote: »
    We are talking about a hen night, with a bit of look they might bring you with them... all you'd need is a dress as you allready think like a woman.

wow that hurt........and a night out with a bunch of women sure why not? in my eyes happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Enough of the bickering lads, we have a nightlife thread if you want a debate. Posts from now helping the OP only. As usual, any questions PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

if its a hen night you are coming on there are plenty of central hotels with decent bars before ye head out - the most popular being the Fitzwilton on bridge street....

after that if ye are looking for dinner there are numerous eateries around the town, couldn't list em out but go to the restaurants sticky at the top of the forum and choose for yourself, my own personal favourite is cafe goa on the quay!

Bar wise I think ye will have no bother getting what ye are looking for, Geoffs is a great place for a group to start, get a big table and stay till 9.30... go across to the top floor of the Kazbar, over to shortts(free entry to nightclub upstairs), pop into Mojo or go down to the front lounge, these places all cater for the more mature crowd and would have music etc...

everybody on the forum is right in that yes there has been a few nasty incidents around the town in recent months, but thats the same as any city in Ireland, please don't let it change your perception of the city... yes the place has suffered during the recession but on a saturday night the place is still rocking, and its no coincidence that the Tall Ships came to Waterford twice in 6 years!

Everybody I work with or meet from outside the city is always going on about how much they love the place and can't wait to come back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MickDub

It makes me laugh when I read crap like this!! I'm of the opinion that many Waterford people prefer to crap on their own city than support it ala S28382.
    And before other people jump at me I didn't say all Waterford people. The truth is Waterford is one of the safest places in Ireland. What happened at the weekend was unusual and most if not all of the fights that occur are between fools who can't handle their drink. I've been out in Kilkenny many times and it is a nice place to go out but not much better than Waterford. I think the main attraction of Kilkenny is that its a lovely town with a nice feel to it and because the pubs are a little more spread out you get to see more of it. I would recommend Waterford!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MickDub

Everybody I work with or meet from outside the city is always going on about how much they love the place and can't wait to come back![/QUOTE]

I spoke to many people from all over Ireland and other parts of the World during the Tall Ships and not one person had a bad thing to say about Waterford. In fact quite the oposite, all I heard was good things about the place. Like I said above it seems to be the natives that have a bad opinion about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

ALso depending on when you want to have you hen-night, there's a deal on in a local hotel:

€59 for 2 B&B in Dooleys Hotel.

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/cork/dooleys-hotel/2767113

Its a lovely hotel and right on the quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Nelbell

WOW, inadvertently started a little bit of a 'debate' there! Thanks so much for all the useful replies. To be honest, I think a Town that can boast of no trouble at weekends, is telling awful porkies altogether! Limerick for example often gets bad press but I can honestly say I've never had a bad experience there, so don't worry Tourism Waterford, we're not put off!
    Thinking of going one of the weekends in June but we have to wait til the Hen makes her mind up.
    Thanks again, much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    ALso depending on when you want to have you hen-night, there's a deal on in a local hotel:

€59 for 2 B&B in Dooleys Hotel.

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/cork/dooleys-hotel/2767113

Its a lovely hotel and right on the quay.

or try here http://www.roomex.com/ard-ri-hotel-waterford.48359.booknow.html :D

Advertisement