Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Juan Manuel Marquez the most skilled Mexican Fighter of all time?

• 16-01-2012 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Marquez is a great counter puncher and has a first class boxing brain

He also has the Mexican heart of a warrior...

Although he might not be the greatest Mexican ever, is he the most skilful??

For me he is one of the most adaptable boxers in boxing history....a classic example would be his fight of the year against Diaz!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

No. Chavez, Barrera, Ricardo Lopez, Ruben Olivarez Salvador Sanchez and Erik Morales are all more skillful. Counterpuching is only 1 facet of a fighters arsenal. What about his ability to come forward? Not even close to any of them. His defence is top notch but do you honestly believe he's better than any of the above?

If you just want to know about his skill then his warior like heart has nothing to do with anything. If it did then Martin Rogan would be top 10 P4P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

Daroxtar wrote: »
    No. Chavez, Barrera, Ricardo Lopez, Ruben Olivarez Salvador Sanchez and Erik Morales are all more skillful. Counterpuching is only 1 facet of a fighters arsenal. What about his ability to come forward? Not even close to any of them. His defence is top notch but do you honestly believe he's better than any of the above?

If you just want to know about his skill then his warior like heart has nothing to do with anything. If it did then Martin Rogan would be top 10 P4P

ruben olivares more skilful??? are you serious?? he relied on his awesome power more than skill!! have you just googled mexican fighters??? ;)

when i mentioned his mexican neart i was giving a brief description of him more than anything

did u watch marquez vx diaz or katsidis?? now do you say he can't attack?

i wouldn't say barrera or morales are more skillful

possibly ricardo lopez might be the man

sanchez is a close call too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Agreed on Olivares, he's not in the same planet in terms of pure skill.

Only Sanchez and Lopez would be at the same skill levels as Marquez IMO. His combination punching is as good as any I've ever seen and he definitely is the best and most consistent uppercutter I've seen.

yeah his uppercut is sublime

also his righthand over the jab is timed to perfection....he's one of the best at that punch i've ever seen...it's all about timing and reflexes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Power is nothing without control. Olivarez had huge power but he could also box. His chin was slightly suspect so he had to have some serious defense to rack up the amount of wins he did. You cant do all that with just a big punch

I didnt say anywhere that JMM couldnt come forward, i just said his ability to do so wasn't close to that of the others.
    At the end of the day, all discussion about Mexicans comes back to 1 man, Chavez.
    JMM aint no JCC.

• Advertisement

JMM was a class above olivares IMO

Chavez was great but i don't think he was as multi dimensional and skillfull as JMM

Chavez was a great pressure fighter who wore opponents down.....he was great on the inside but he also took a lot of blows on his granite chin.....

JMM didn't get hit half the punches chavez got hit....i wonder where chavez would be without his granite chin??.....look at him fighting gomez or rosario....was his will and determination that wore them down rather than his silky skills

a reminder of his absolute skill

http://youtu.be/f9k033h4k-s

Advertisement