Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed & Disconnection problems

Options
  • 16-01-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Over the past 2-3 days I have been experiencing poor speeds and constant disconnects and it's getting a little frustrating.

I'm on the 3mb but have always only managed to get 2mb speeds. The past few nights, download speeds have dropped from 210-220kbps to around 40-70kbps.

Now I have replaced all filters, restarted the router several times and the problem persists although speeds this morning were back to normal, they have dropped to around 40-70kbps again.

Is there any reason as to why this may be occurring? There have been no problems over the last year since it was put on the NGB plan.

Also, is 2-3mb that max speed that the line will support? I will pm my account details on request.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Just an update. In the last 20 minutes the connection seemed to go down, however the wifi, dsl and internet lights were all green.

I could not connect to xbox live, wirelessly or wired connection to my laptop did not work either. Then I set it up in another room and got a red light under the internet heading.

Re-set it up in the usual room, got red light on internet again but after a few mins it went green and now it's fine again, though speeds are still down on what they should be.

Should also state that it's the zyxel model router I am using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Just an update. In the last 20 minutes the connection seemed to go down, however the wifi, dsl and internet lights were all green.

I could not connect to xbox live, wirelessly or wired connection to my laptop did not work either. Then I set it up in another room and got a red light under the internet heading.

Re-set it up in the usual room, got red light on internet again but after a few mins it went green and now it's fine again, though speeds are still down on what they should be.

Should also state that it's the zyxel model router I am using.

Hi Cherry_Cola,

Can you private message me with you telephone number and I will run a few checks on the line.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MobyDick

Just posting in this thread instead of starting another because I'm having the exact same problem. (Don't mean to hijack it)

Usually get between 6000 - 7000 kbps down and 512 up. Last few days, the DSL light keeps going red and when it's green, I was only getting 200 -300 kbps down (but still 512 up?).
    Just an hour ago I disconnected all other phones and plugged router into the master socket with a filter on it. Now getting 1088 down 128 up, but with way more disconnects. It's totally unusable.

I can PM more details if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

MobyDick wrote: »
    Just posting in this thread instead of starting another because I'm having the exact same problem. (Don't mean to hijack it)

Usually get between 6000 - 7000 kbps down and 512 up. Last few days, the DSL light keeps going red and when it's green, I was only getting 200 -300 kbps down (but still 512 up?).
    Just an hour ago I disconnected all other phones and plugged router into the master socket with a filter on it. Now getting 1088 down 128 up, but with way more disconnects. It's totally unusable.

I can PM more details if needed.

Hi MobyDick,

Thanks for your post.

Before you PM your phone number, can you just ensure that you have tested your modem as advised below:

Poor intemittent sync (or intermittency) and low attainable rates are often caused by interference on your own internal phone wiring.

Please ensure your broadband modem is correctly connected on the main phone socket, entering into your premises as follows:

Your modem, itself, may not be the source of this problem.

*It is important that you temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. For example: Long private telephone cables or secondary phone sockets within your premises.

Remove the adsl splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket.

Ensure that all secondary phone sockets are 'Filtered' using the correct Adsl Filter (and not the Adsl Splitter). If you have any problems with your secondary phone socket (or extensions) then you may need to consult with a 3rd party (normally an electrician).

Are you connecting wirelessly?

* If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.

Don't worry too much about connecting over wireless until you have resolved your intermittent sync and low attainable connection rate.

If you are still having a problem after this, then try to reset the eircom modem. Please be advised that this is the last measure you should take. There is no need to reset the modem more than once. Follow the instructions below to do this correctly :

Resetting the Modem

Completing the Checklist (above) will ensure that you have tested the modem as advised by Technical Support. If you still need to call eircom Technical Support, please see contact information below.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MobyDick

Ok did all that and just did a modem reset there. Still happening.

It's been grand for the last 2 years, no problems, then the last few days it's been useless.

Only getting 1824/416 (kbps). That's between all the disconnections.

More speed than last couple of days be also more disconnections.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Thanks.

Just make sure you're testing your broadband speed with Only one computer connected to the modem over Ethernet cable. Ensure all other computer devices should be shut down when testing.

If you're running applications, you should exit these and try to disable your anti-virus and firewall(s) in order to get an accurate measurement on your broadband speed. These programmes tend to run in the background on your computer, even if they are minimised.

However, if your dsl light is turning red, it is more likely an issue with intermittent sync. As advised this is commonly associated with interference on your internal phone wiring. Hence, try to avoid doing speed tests until you have resolved this issue first. You should try to connect your broadband modem to the master phone socket without the Adsl splitter, as advised previously. If unsure about this please see previous notes and our Broadband Checks - http://bit.ly/BBcheck

If still experiencing connection problems, or your dsl light on the modem is flashing red, they you should contact Broadband Support :

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow up.

Best wishes,
    Ant
    MobyDick wrote: »
    Ok did all that and just did a modem reset there. Still happening.

It's been grand for the last 2 years, no problems, then the last few days it's been useless.

Only getting 1824/416 (kbps). That's between all the disconnections.

More speed than last couple of days be also more disconnections.

Advertisement