Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RROD after laser replacement!?

Options
  • 16-01-2012 8:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭

Of all the crazy, f'ed up things I've seen xboxs do this has to be the weirdest.

So my elite stops reading discs, it was working away perfect as I was still playing trials HD and Limbo off the HDD. I kept using it like this for about a month.

Today, I got the laser for the drive. Laser was a match for the lite-on drive I was replacing the laser in. Laser replaced and Xbox reassembled, I turn it on and get 3 red lights!

WHAT THE F&%$!

Anyone seen this before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Did you remove the anti-static solder point on the new laser? It won't operate without removing it first. The RRoD could either be due to disc drive not detecting the laser, or problem with one of many BGA chips on the motherboard. Most likely the GPU is the culprit, if you get the secondary error code it will indicate which component is at fault.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Alfreado

oh bugger! forgot to take the anti-static solder off... error code is giving me a 0001 which is a short I found.

Will removing the static solve the problem or will the 0001 remain and need a reflow?

Alfreado wrote: »
    oh bugger! forgot to take the anti-static solder off... error code is giving me a 0001 which is a short I found.

Will removing the static solve the problem or will the 0001 remain and need a reflow?

Desolder the anti-static point, and see if it helps. If not take out the motherboard and see if any metal parts have gone astray they could be causing the short, usually the fans will spin about half a turn then stop and you'll get instant red lights if it's a short.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what the fan does. Cool, cheers man! Fingers crossed de-soldering will do the trick

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what the fan does. Cool, cheers man! Fingers crossed de-soldering will do the trick

No problem, at least you know there is no permanent damage a short can usually be fixed be removing whatever is causing it.

• Advertisement

No dice, I removed the anti-static and same error code persists! I even swapped out the laser for the old one and I get the same error code still. This I can only assume means its not the laser causing the problem.

I had a look around the mobo for little metal bits but don't see anything. I'll take the mobo out tomorrow and have a better look though. Does metal in contact with the metal chassis make a difference? I don't see any of that either but just wondering

No dice, I removed the anti-static and same error code persists! I even swapped out the laser for the old one and I get the same error code still. This I can only assume means its not the laser causing the problem.

I had a look around the mobo for little metal bits but don't see anything. I'll take the mobo out tomorrow and have a better look though. Does metal in contact with the metal chassis make a difference? I don't see any of that either but just wondering

No the metal casing wouldn't make it short there would have to be something in between completing the circuit, I got a short once when I left some aluminium tape under the motherboard after a repair, it must have been conductive because when I removed it the Xbox booted up perfectly.

ok, it sounds like a short caused by loose metal or the like, esp since all was well up to the laser change. I may have a proper poke around tomorrow

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

ok, it sounds like a short caused by loose metal or the like, esp since all was well up to the laser change. I may have a proper poke around tomorrow

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Look out for the jagged little metal brackets that held the DVD drive in, my guess is while you took the DVD drive out one of these came loose and its causing the short, they are located on the left & right of the DVD housing on the motherboard case.

You will actually never guess what the problem was, and I was just about the smash it off a wall with frustration!

I have 3 xbox's here, 1 elite which is mine and the one I was trying to fix and 2 arcades, both belonging to friends of mine which are RROD as well and in need of a reflow.

I was obviously using the power brick from one of the arcades, because when I switched power brick it fired up as normal, not a bother on it.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

anyway, mod's feel free to mark this as solved in the thread title because I'm sure it will help someone :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You will actually never guess what the problem was, and I was just about the smash it off a wall with frustration!

I have 3 xbox's here, 1 elite which is mine and the one I was trying to fix and 2 arcades, both belonging to friends of mine which are RROD as well and in need of a reflow.

I was obviously using the power brick from one of the arcades, because when I switched power brick it fired up as normal, not a bother on it.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

anyway, mod's feel free to mark this as solved in the thread title because I'm sure it will help someone :rolleyes:

Glad you got it sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Flancrest

You do realise fixing consoles yourself will result in a console ban right

Flancrest wrote: »

No it won't, I have been repairing consoles since 2009 and not one customer has complained of a ban as a result of a repair. If you flash the DVD drive with custom firmware you will eventually be banned.

Scaremongering nonsense to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

S'true firmware flashing is really the only way to get caught

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Flancrest wrote: »

Incorrect. Big difference between fixing & modifying.

Swopping lasers wont ban me. Been repairing consoles from friends and friends of friends for years never had a problem.

Advertisement