Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gaming Rig(for ToR)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

nesf wrote: »
    It takes up 19.5GB. I've it on my SSD right here.

Ditto, even the bloated beta version maxed out around 25-30gb. The retail version shouldn't break 20gb for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 brenm2

Serephucus wrote: »
    €50 cheaper from HWVS:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €718.94 + €30 shipping
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€33.65
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's|€75.00
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€53.01
    ASUS P8Z68-V LX, Sockel 1155, ATX, DDR3|€95.87
    Antec Dark Fleet DF35, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€88.73
    Intel Core i5-2500K Tray, LGA1155|€195.56
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA|€15.58
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 - Pro PWM Rev.2|€14.65
    Sapphire HD6870 1G GDDR5 PCI-E DL-DVI-I+SL-DVI-D / HDMI / DP|€146.89

The only things I changed were the RAM and the PSU, the RAM because it makes absolutely no difference what sort you get - you won't notice any difference at all in performance.

The PSU because those StealthXtreme ones really aren't that great, and a PSU is not something you want to cheap out on. You could also run that whole build of a 450W very easily, by the way.

I bought this rig based on the above posts. Paid for it by bank transfer on Wednesday at around 6pm. Hardwareversand contacted me on thursday at aroulnd noon to say they had received the cash and then they shipped it at 2pm. Can't wait.

Hi, as i already stated i bought the components listed in the above post. Somehow i managed to order a 450W psu instead of the 550W one above.
    The first thing i noticed is that graphics card states on the box that it needs a "500W or greater" PSU with two 6pin 75W power connectors.

My 450W psu has 1 connector marked "PCI express" and another 1 marked "SLI ready". Are they the two connectors i need, or do i need a new PSU?
    Thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

brenm2 wrote: »
    Hi, as i already stated i bought the components listed in the above post. Somehow i managed to order a 450W psu instead of the 550W one above.
    The first thing i noticed is that graphics card states on the box that it needs a "500W or greater" PSU with two 6pin 75W power connectors.

My 450W psu has 1 connector marked "PCI express" and another 1 marked "SLI ready". Are they the two connectors i need, or do i need a new PSU?
    Thanks for any replies.

are they both indentical 6 pins?

450w power supply should be more then enough. i have 6870 running in old rig with dells 375w. 1x6pin and 2xmolex converted in to 6pin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Assuming that it's the Superflower Amazon 450W that you ordered, it comes with a 6 pin and 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors. 450W is enough for this system (with a good quality PSU like the amazon). They overestimate the requirements with the graphics cards because there's a lot of PSUs around that are of poor quality and they don't know what the rest of the system is.

i have 6870 running in old rig with dells 375w. 1x6pin and 2xmolex converted in to 6pin

But you wouldn't be doing any mad overclocking on a Dell. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Monotype wrote: »

But you wouldn't be doing any mad overclocking on a Dell. ;)

true that! :D

thanks guys,
    yes it is a superflower 450W with the connections as you described.
    do i just need to connect the 1 marked pci-express or both connections.
    BTW theres no hurry as the bloody case hasn't arrived yet. i've just been staring at the components since they arrived yesterday.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If there's two power connectors on the card, connect two.

If it's two 6-pin connectors that you need -
    Connect the 6-pin PCI-E cable from the PSU and the 6+2 pin PCI-E cable (8 pin connector but you can separate the additional 2 pins.

Advertisement