Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New forum!!

• 16-01-2012 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Spent a good while creating this over the past few days...someone had to create a forum dedicated to these cars! www.retrojdmirl.com

Hopefully it'll be a success :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

i asume its a suble variation of boxshape-irl and jdmenthusiasts-irl etc etc. not being negative but the world and his brother have created a forum lately.

all the old regulars like MNC and IC, possibly even DTD are gone quiet and the market is flooded with half arsed attempts.

the only recent success is TOC-IRL and long may it last, they've gone to prove it takes more than a free forum to have an owners socitey, you need admin/ mods/ reps/ traders/ promo/ events organisers and most importantly a massive user base, forums with too specific a genre on a little island like ireland just wont work.

best of luck to it none the less :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ToyotaMad94

andyseadog wrote: »
    i asume its a suble variation of boxshape-irl and jdmenthusiasts-irl etc etc. not being negative but the world and his brother have created a forum lately.

all the old regulars like MNC and IC, possibly even DTD are gone quiet and the market is flooded with half arsed attempts.

the only recent success is TOC-IRL and long may it last, they've gone to prove it takes more than a free forum to have an owners socitey, you need admin/ mods/ reps/ traders/ promo/ events organisers and most importantly a massive user base, forums with too specific a genre on a little island like ireland just wont work.

best of luck to it none the less :D

Very true!! ...I had been running boshapesirl for a while until work and college took the better of me. On the other hand I plan on using this forum to it's full potential!!

I'm on the look out for area reps and all them other roles for the website and of course more members to join, which is a slight problem!
    That's all very true @andyseadog but if we take ebay as an example, that was very big and worldwide, and still somebody came up with the likes of DoneDeal on a small island and still gets a lot of users!!

I couldn't really find something to base the new forum on so I chos something I had an interest in!
    Cheers for the support on the other hand!

well the bottom line is if your interested in the subject and you are determined to give it 100% then you could well pull it off and if you pull it off i will join :)

personally i'd pay the few euro whatever it is to get an advert free forum with a nice user friendly background, take out a donedeal advert and make friends with mods on other forums to get a few plugs in that way and see how it goes. it'd probably cost 40-50 quid but it might be the difference between making it or not.

well the bottom line is if your interested in the subject and you are determined to give it 100% then you could well pull it off and if you pull it off i will join :)

personally i'd pay the few euro whatever it is to get an advert free forum with a nice user friendly background, take out a donedeal advert and make friends with mods on other forums to get a few plugs in that way and see how it goes. it'd probably cost 40-50 quid but it might be the difference between making it or not.

I have a lot of plans to progress the site at the moment but it's all in the head yet...need to get them done and dusted! :D

On the other hand, I changed the domain this morning and bought the copyrights. My next plan is to get rid of those adverts because they're fierce annoying and a few other bits. I'm a member of a good few forums at the moment. My main problem is getting people to join and start posting :/ There's a lot of guests viewing the site but none are registering!

I have a lot of plans to progress the site at the moment but it's all in the head yet...need to get them done and dusted! :D

On the other hand, I changed the domain this morning and bought the copyrights. My next plan is to get rid of those adverts because they're fierce annoying and a few other bits. I'm a member of a good few forums at the moment. My main problem is getting people to join and start posting :/ There's a lot of guests viewing the site but none are registering!

people probably aren't joining because its so quite, and thats kind of a vicious circle.

you need to get people in and chatting and you need an incentive to get them to leave their old forum and view yours... but what that incentive is i don't know but i think its the key to your potential success.

i'l join, if your lucky :P

• Advertisement

Would probably talk to Jay who started TOC for a few pointers, he built that site from nothing.

people probably aren't joining because its so quite, and thats kind of a vicious circle.

you need to get people in and chatting and you need an incentive to get them to leave their old forum and view yours... but what that incentive is i don't know but i think its the key to your potential success.

i'l join, if your lucky :P

It's going to be a slow progress :/ ..I will have to think of something soon! Haha thanks!
    Would probably talk to Jay who started TOC for a few pointers, he built that site from nothing.

I have PM'd one of the Admins but I haven't heard back from them either! My friend had the same problem a good while back with getting a reply to their PM!!

Thanks a million for the advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

How involved are you in the scene? Would the well known guys know you? Are you a presence at most meets etc... ?

That's the initial thing you need to get the word around. Next you need to find an actual niche to fit into, to encourage people to join instead of just remaining where they are. I'm not a member of any similar site here, but from what has been said in this thread it would appear as though there is already a dominant player for such a theme and unfortunately once one is established you'll find it very hard to break into it without bringing something completely fresh to the table.

Also, get rid of the free forum software, pay for vBulletin or something similar but make the forum look professional and clean at all costs. :)

dar83 wrote: »
    How involved are you in the scene? Would the well known guys know you? Are you a presence at most meets etc... ?

That's the initial thing you need to get the word around. Next you need to find an actual niche to fit into, to encourage people to join instead of just remaining where they are. I'm not a member of any similar site here, but from what has been said in this thread it would appear as though there is already a dominant player for such a theme and unfortunately once one is established you'll find it very hard to break into it without bringing something completely fresh to the table.

Also, get rid of the free forum software, pay for vBulletin or something similar but make the forum look professional and clean at all costs. :)

I wouldn't be as well known as most other users! Yes your right there, I will have to try add something to my own forum like an up to date blog about that specific subject my forum is based on or something long them lines which would attract members.

I was going to start off with software like vBulletin but I said I would get familiar to a basic set up first and work my way up through other software!
    Thanks for the support and advice all the same. It's very much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

Good luck with It man.

Am a DUB style euro man meself in fairness :D

• Advertisement

focus_mad wrote: »
    Good luck with It man.

Am a DUB style euro man meself in fairness :D

@focus_mad dont worry I have another forum in mid that I plan on creating for your type ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

@focus_mad dont worry I have another forum in mid that I plan on creating for your type ;)

My type...?

Ya make it sound like i have a problem :D

Advertisement