Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traffic Accident in Nothern Ireland with Dog

• 16-01-2012 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hey,

Have a unusual case here, the other day I was in Northern Ireland shopping, on my way back whilst still across the border, It was dark and I was coming round a bad bend on the National road and hit a large dog on the road.

Two other cars hit the same dog, my car being the third car to hit the dog. The dog survived thankfully and ran away after I hit it. But, the dog wreaked my car, the front bumper and grill needs to be replaced.

I managed to locate the owner of the dog, I know where he lives, but I don’t have any of his details, I asked his name and address but I believe them to be false, but I do know where is lives as I saw him come from the house.

I rang my insurance company, and they told me that they will fix the damage, I'm fully comprehensive and I will lose all 5 years no claims bonus. I rang PSNI who recorded the incident, they said that it’s a civil matter and only get involved when a person has been injured.

So it looks like I'm at a massive loss on my insurance, the insurance agree with the PSNI in that the dog owner is at fault for not having proper control on his dog. I just don’t want to lose my 5 yrs no claims bonus but at the same time I can’t afford to pay for the damage myself. Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Electorial register ? Neighbours ? Postman? Local priest / vicar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

That's some dog :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

So you talked to the owner. What did they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭paddyjoe183

So you talked to the owner. What did they say?

The owner was a farmer and wasnt bothered about the dog. I love animals and made sure he was ok but the poor thing was scared more than anything else.

The dog was a rottweiler Massive dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

lol, what did he say about the damage?

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    Electorial register ? Neighbours ? Postman? Local priest / vicar?

The house is in the middle of nowhere.... plus as the PSNI said, its dangerous doorstepping the owner as you don't know what they are like or what kind of reponse you will get! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Did you check the dog license?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

testicle wrote: »
    Did you check the dog license?

Aye.

the dog should have had a collar with a brass plate which has a code on it

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Aye.

the dog should have had a collar with a brass plate which has a code on it

I wasnt about to approach the dog concidering the size of it! It was massive!

A civil matter? It's an accident that occurred on a public highway. It falls under the road traffic act. Go to the station and kick up blue murder. It's easy to fob somebody off on the phone but not when they are standing in front of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A civil matter? It's an accident that occurred on a public highway. It falls under the road traffic act. Go to the station and kick up blue murder. It's easy to fob somebody off on the phone but not when they are standing in front of you.

Northern Ireland. Different laws. I'm not sure they have quite the same "owner is liable" setup as we have here.

MYOB wrote: »

Northern Ireland. Different laws. I'm not sure they have quite the same "owner is liable" setup as we have here.

UK law is very similar and the dog owner is accountable there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

It depends where it is in the North. The psni still wont even leave the station in some parts along the border never mind get involved in an incident with a southern car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Just of interest what speed were you doing along with the 2 other cars when you hit it? And are you certain it wasn't the terminator on the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It is a civil matter. Nothing to do with the PSNI. I would have been the exact same down here.

OP - you need to give the name / address of the dog's owner to your insurance company and instruct them that you will NOT claim on your own policy - that you want the matter pursued as the dog's owner is clearly liable and you have several witnesses to prove your claim

I presume you have exchanged contact details with the other drivers who hit the dog? Give your insurance company all those contact details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

That dog sounds like a BEAST!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

focus_mad wrote: »
    That dog sounds like a BEAST!!!! :D

Carminator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Demotivational-Zombie-Dog.jpg

UK law is very similar and the dog owner is accountable there.

Thats what everyone says but insurance company not interested! Its up to me to chase it up myself! Thats aviva for ya!!

As for the other questions, I was doing approx 70mph in a 80 zone. I would admit if it was speed, but it was bad weather as it was heavy frost....

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    It is a civil matter. Nothing to do with the PSNI. I would have been the exact same down here.

OP - you need to give the name / address of the dog's owner to your insurance company and instruct them that you will NOT claim on your own policy - that you want the matter pursued as the dog's owner is clearly liable and you have several witnesses to prove your claim

I presume you have exchanged contact details with the other drivers who hit the dog? Give your insurance company all those contact details

I gave Aviva the dog owners details but they were not interested, they said its down to me to chase it up if Im going down that route as they wont get involved if Im not willing to claim through them,

As for the other drivers, I didnt take any of their details, stupid I know! The other two drivers were in shock and didnt really say much. They probley didnt know what to do like myself! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Hey,

Have a unusual case here, the other day I was in Northern Ireland shopping, on my way back whilst still across the border, It was dark and I was coming round a bad bend on the National road and hit a large dog on the road.

Two other cars hit the same dog, my car being the third car to hit the dog. The dog survived thankfully and ran away after I hit it. But, the dog wreaked my car, the front bumper and grill needs to be replaced.

I managed to locate the owner of the dog, I know where he lives, but I don’t have any of his details, I asked his name and address but I believe them to be false, but I do know where is lives as I saw him come from the house.

I rang my insurance company, and they told me that they will fix the damage, I'm fully comprehensive and I will lose all 5 years no claims bonus. I rang PSNI who recorded the incident, they said that it’s a civil matter and only get involved when a person has been injured.

So it looks like I'm at a massive loss on my insurance, the insurance agree with the PSNI in that the dog owner is at fault for not having proper control on his dog. I just don’t want to lose my 5 yrs no claims bonus but at the same time I can’t afford to pay for the damage myself. Anyone any ideas?

Now this is a odd story alright. You claim you were coming around a bad bend and then in another post say you were doing about 70mph, not very clever is it especially if there is heavy frost. :confused:

Then you say that three seperate cars hit the dog with yours being the third but the dog still managed to break your grille and bumper, having already been hit by two other cars. You then managed to locate the owner and find out here he lives. :eek:

To summarise I call bs on this one. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Thats what everyone says but insurance company not interested! Its up to me to chase it up myself! Thats aviva for ya!!

As for the other questions, I was doing approx 70mph in a 80 zone. I would admit if it was speed, but it was bad weather as it was heavy frost....

Do you mean 70Km/h??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭WestWing

?
    The house is in the middle of nowhere.... plus as the PSNI said, its dangerous doorstepping the owner....

I presume you were on the A1? :confused:

WestWing wrote: »
    I presume you were on the A1? :confused:

A5 I think its called, 70Km/h not mph.... im mixing the two different speeds up now. It was a national road so I was under the speed limit.

166man wrote: »
    Now this is a odd story alright. You claim you were coming around a bad bend and then in another post say you were doing about 70mph, not very clever is it especially if there is heavy frost. :confused:

Then you say that three seperate cars hit the dog with yours being the third but the dog still managed to break your grille and bumper, having already been hit by two other cars. You then managed to locate the owner and find out here he lives. :eek:

Im not bxxx****ting, Im looking for advice! When I say heavy frost maybe thats an overstatement. But it was late and there was a kinda cold fog if that makes sense.

Secondly the owners house was 3 houses up from the incident, it was one of the other drivers that went knocking to find the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It falls under the road traffic act.
    No such thing in NI. There is a Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1981.
    Northern Ireland has a completely different system of laws than the rest of the UK.

No such thing in NI. There is a Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1981.
    Northern Ireland has a completely different system of laws than the rest of the UK.

Getting a bit pedantic there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

166man wrote: »

If you believe there is a problem with a post(er) please report it rather than making accusations please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement