Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been robbed?

Options
  • 16-01-2012 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

I received my bill today. My meter was read last week and my bill came to over 200 e. I have a prepay meter and I always pay in at least 15 e a week, often 20 e, so my electricity use is covered. I was quite chocked at the amount out standing, considering I have a token meter. When I checked the amount I'd payed it said 85 e, I know I've paid more than that over the past 2 months. The shop with the paypoint machine has had the machine removed 2 weeks ago and now I have to go to the credit union to buy my tokens.In the credit union I always receive a receipt, in the shop I didn't receive one once.I'm wondering if my payments didn't go through the machine and so were not deducted from my bill.
    I'm really upset, I can't afford this, I thought this couldn't happen as I prepay my usage, so I know I can't use more than I paid for in advance.
    Can I find out if there was an issue with this particular shop and other people have had the same complaint and was this the reason they lost the paypoint machine? How do I get my bill sorted out?
    Do I get in touch with paypoint or with you to get a dated record of my payments? I also have a witness who was with me every week when I bought my tokens.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi yellowlabrador,
    I thought this couldn't happen as I prepay my usage, so I know I can't use more than I paid for in advance.

A token meter doesn't work the same way as a prepay meter would - it's essentially a debt collection device, and the bills you receive will still be based on usage clocked up on the main meter.

If, say, a customer is €200 in arrears, and they then get a token meter installed, it will collect a certain set amount per week of that debt in addition to paying for current usage.
    Can I find out if there was an issue with this particular shop and other people have had the same complaint and was this the reason they lost the paypoint machine? How do I get my bill sorted out?

See here for Paypoint's contact information; they should be able to tell you whether or not there was an issue with that particular outlet.

If you PM me the following details, I'll be able to have a look at your account and go through the payments with you:
    • Your full name and account no.
    • Your date of birth and contact no. for account security
    Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I'm not disputing the bill as such, I've had the meter a long time and I didn't have enormous arrears as such, the Esb man suggested leaving the meter in place as I found it great to help me budget. My main worry is that I know I've paid more than the amount stated in tokens. I carefully budget every week and the first thing I do is put money on the meter. I also -pay more in winter and have actually doubled my payments. I also appreciate that my meter is soon to be adjusted for the new charges.
    pm sent

Thanks for the PM yellowlabrador, I'll now be able to have a look at it in more detail for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Thanks David, from the information you sent me, there are 2 payments missing totalling over 50 e. The one made on my birthday and the one before xmas. I have a witness for both occasions. How do I proceed from this? Do I get in touch with paypoint first? My main problem is that I never received receipts in this shop and neither did other customers. Is there a way to check on the meter that I inserted the tokens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Yellowlabrador,

David is not actually on Boards.ie again until Friday - could you forward me and Electric Ireland: Orla the private message you sent him, and we can follow this up for you?

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

Hi yellowlabrador,
    I have a witness for both occasions. How do I proceed from this? Do I get in touch with paypoint first?

It's ok, we'll follow it up further on our side first. Without receipts it may be difficult to locate these payments, but if you can provide me with the following information (via private message) I should be able to search for them:
    • The date (and approximate time) the payments were made
    • The exact amounts
    • The specific paypoint outlet where you purchased the tokens
    Is there a way to check on the meter that I inserted the tokens?

This wouldn't be necessary, as the tokens register on our system once they're bought, rather than when they're inserted.

Thanks,

David.

Advertisement