Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scarlett Street Drogheda

Options
  • 16-01-2012 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭

Anyone see what's going on at Eddies Hardware? Guards firebrigades there Scarlett street closed off

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

have a look at breaking news , apparently a woman was killed in a crash... r.i.p

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

Yes a woman was knocked down looks bad was around that way for a walk shortly after it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Feck that does look bad. RIP the poor woman and even thoughts to the driver too regardless of what responsibility is duly determined. The damage to the car:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭positron

How sad..!! RIP!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Very sad to hear about.
    Deepest sympathies to the family of the deceased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Apparently the woman driving was 60 and the woman struck 76.
    Thoughts and prayers are with both women families. :(
    RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Very sad RIP. My sympathies to her family.

I heard that the road was closed on AA roadwatch around 6 o'clock yesterday, not too long later my friends teenage daughter showed me pictures of the crash on facebook, posted on a local news photographers web page. The pictures show the car and reg clearly you can see into the ambulance with someone sitting up in it and a picture of a shoe on the road. The families of those involved may not have even known about the crash at the time these photos were posted. I think its very poor judgement and taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

I read on Facebook (I know, it's not gospel) that it took a ridiculously long time (30/40 mins) for the ambulance to teach the scene.
    Anyone else hear that and/or know why it took so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

I did hear that it took over 20 mins for an ambulance to come from Navan, the local ones must have been out. Seems crazy when you think that the Drogheda ambulance station is on the same road as the crash.

There was a similar story a few months ago when an ambulance was needed on Constitution Hill (just around the corner) and the Drogheda ones were in use, the Man died while waiting for the ambulance.

http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/news/why-did-this-man-have-to-die-waiting-for-ambulance-2665429.html

At about 4.50 yesterday I was driving over the crosslanes, turning left towards town and I seen an ambulance with the lights flashing behind me. I seen ths ambulance going down the cement road in the mirror behind me. I continued down George's street, crossed the bridge and pulled into the right lane to turn up the donore road.
    Another ambulance, it could have been the same one but more than likely another one following, had the lights flashing again went towards the Dublin road. I stuck on the radio, fm104 and they were mentioning a 4 car crash on the other side of Ashbourne.
    I'm not excusing the time that was taken to get to the accident, but it's possible that the ambulances were still attending to the accident on the n2.

• Advertisement

Gerard Nash discussing this on Newstalk right now (you might be able to catch their podcast later on).

Did I hear there was 45 minutes delay in getting the ambulance from Ardee?

Disasterous really. I am not saying that state is responsible for everything, but may at least we should be more aware that we can no longer depend on the state services to get accident victims to hospital - I mean, this happened just around the corner from the hospital!! I would imagine it would take 5 minutes to get anyone with reasonable first-aid knowledge and a car to help a lot of those who are in need of medical help (this case might have been different) - anyway, my point is, should there be more public awareness on how we can all help each other if need arises, rather than depending on a system that doesn't seems to be up to the job and is expected to get worse for the next decade?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yeah, friend of a friend said they know the family and were told the amublance was coming from Ardee...

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

45 minute delay for an ambulance and it a stones throw away from the Lourdes.... disgraceful! absolutely sickening!
    That poor lady probably spent a lifetime paying taxes too.

R.I.P to all the families involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

Not to mention the Cottage Hospital is only a stones throw away from where the accident happened

kormak wrote: »
    45 minute delay for an ambulance and it a stones throw away from the Lourdes.... disgraceful! absolutely sickening!
    That poor lady probably spent a lifetime paying taxes too.
    Not to mention the Cottage Hospital is only a stones throw away from where the accident happened

Without meaning any disrepect to the victims and their families in this crash, what mentioned above is the most sickening thing of it all. I would presume Garda was at the scene within minutes of the incident, and I am certain general public was at the scene even before Garda. And did they really wait 45 minutes at the scene for an ambulance, while they are minutes away from two medical facilities? Is this absurd or what? Is this due to legal / insurance / liability reasons, and if so, is this not ripe for a review? I understand the risk of untrained people handling victims, but the Garda I am sure have plenty of first-aid knoweldge as part of their training?

/sorry for ranting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

It is a total disgrace and I am tired of the usual excuses that will come from the HSE. Reviews of the service...how many reviews do we need?
    With absolutely no intention to compare the two situations - a couple of years ago a pedestrian was knocked down outside the Louth County Hospital, as it was an RTA the ambulance was dispatched from Drogheda and the patient taken to the Lourdes. The reasons given ranged from insurance cover, to ambulances already deployed etc. No personnel were able to attend the scene direct from the Louth Hospital again due to insurance reasons and would have in all likelyhood lost their jobs if they had ignored protocol. Of course we have to accept that services are finite and that at times resources get stretched; but this should be under exceptional circumstances not, as it seems, due to mismanagement of resources. From what I am led to believe (and am open to correction as is 2nd hand info) there are 7 ambulances in the county -2 in Drogheda, 4 in Dundalk and 1 in Ardee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭LH2011

i have emailed the TD's in the dail and outlined my disgust at this terrible turn of events.

the list of email addresses of TD's are available at the link below

http://www.oireachtas.ie/ViewDoc.asp?DocId=-1&CatID=138&m=m

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=19510&CatID=138

email them, and let them know your opinions on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

HSE now appear to have revised the time it took for the ambulance to get from Ardee to Drogheda as 17 minutes instead of 42, according to RTE Drivetime (Paul Bell was interviewed).

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0117/drogheda.html
    HSE blames 'arrival button' error for delay
    The HSE has revised the time it took an ambulance to arrive at the scene of a fatal road accident in Drogheda yesterday, saying the journey took 17 minutes and not 45 minutes as earlier reported.

The HSE now says it took 17 minutes for an ambulance to arrive at the scene of a fatal road incident in Drogheda yesterday evening.
    It has revised an earlier figure of 45 minutes and says the confusion was due to a delay in pressing the on scene arrival button in the vehicle.
    A woman in her 70s died after she was hit by a car on Scarlet Street in the town.

The HSE confirmed it received an emergency call at 5.22pm and an ambulance was dispatched a minute later.
    However since the Drogheda-based ambulances were out on calls, another vehicle had to be sent from Ardee.
    That took 17 minutes to get to the scene of the accident. The patient arrived at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital at 6.05pm.
    The HSE said the ambulance service was not static and the nearest available vehicle was dispatched.

The HSE now says it took 17 minutes for an ambulance to arrive at the scene of a fatal road incident in Drogheda yesterday evening.

How they are calling it a 'confusion' and blaming in on a 'button' - rather than the fact that they are now saying they got there full 28 minutes earlier, and they are saying forget the procedures and things that ambulance crew follows (or failed to follow) and just take their word that they got there much earlier than the system shows. What a bunch of chancers!

PS: Just out of curiosity, are there any motorcycle paramedics in the country like in the UK? And are there any voluntary organizations that runs ambulance service and paramedic staff?

• Advertisement
Advertisement