Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buy now...or wait or Ipad3 ?

• 16-01-2012 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

So that's the decision I'm faced with. The Ipad3 is expected out in March/April sometime i think, and from what I've read so far, nobody has a clue what the main differences are going to be, if any big ones at all! One blog said they may just call it the Ipad 2S.

So tempted to go out this weekend and purchase the Ipad2, but I could be kicking myself in a couple of months.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

If the iPad 2 will do every thing you want, why wait?

This type of thinking fuels the Apple PR machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

DonalN wrote: »
    So that's the decision I'm faced with. The Ipad3 is expected out in March/April sometime i think, and from what I've read so far, nobody has a clue what the main differences are going to be, if any big ones at all! One blog said they may just call it the Ipad 2S.

So tempted to go out this weekend and purchase the Ipad2, but I could be kicking myself in a couple of months.

It might be due out in march/April but that doesn't mean it'll be available in Ireland then. A bird in the hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I read it will have a HD screen, can't remember the others features. A Google search is your friend/enemy as there's no official specs out.

I'm in a similar boat, I'm very tempted to buy an iPad 2 but wondering about the 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Bear in mind when the IPad 3 comes out the IPad 2 will come down in price.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

It depends on what you want it for. I bought mine last August and it wouldn't have mattered tbh whether the three came out the following week. It is my primary computer now and absolutely invaluable. I'm in hospital at the mo tethering Internet to it and watching Netflix in between browsing boards. I use it for apps, internet, music and particularly for sheet music. There is very little that would persuade me to ugrade in the next year or two I believe.

Having said that it is apple and maybe there will be something that I end up really wanting on the three lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Remember that there's very little in the Apple rumour mill that you can believe, because they don't announce this stuff this far in advance, and they keep a very tight lid on what they're making. The only real reason for speculating that the iPad 3 might be launched in March is that the iPads 1 and 2 were both launched around the same time. But people were saying the same thing about the iPhone last year, and they were off by about half a year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

As Musicmental85 said, it really depends on what you want it for. For most general uses of the ipad, there isnt really any over-riding reason why someone for example should get the iPad2 instead of iPad1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I would wait if you don't really need it now. I have an 1G iPod touch and it can't run the latest versions of iOS which means I can't use lots of apps. As the iPad evolves I suspect that it too will have this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Sabre Man wrote: »
    I would wait if you don't really need it now. I have an 1G iPod touch and it can't run the latest versions of iOS which means I can't use lots of apps. As the iPad evolves I suspect that it too will have this issue.

Can it play music?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

A USB port would be a sweet upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

I sold my iPad 2 last week , waiting for the 3 now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I was like this with the ipad 2 launch. I just got the first gen iPad. There is nothing on the iPad 2 that made me regret my that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

I had this same thinking a while back. I've decided to wait for the Ipad 3 as it's only about2 months away, and to be honest i can wait. Unless you need it now you should wait for a better or cheaper Ipad in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

yea - i'm thinking I might hold off - I'm not in any great rush to get one, would just like to have it. If the 3 came with usb, that would be sweet - If it doesn't, and there's no huge differences, I may just get the (possibly) cheaper ipad2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

jamesd wrote: »
    I sold my iPad 2 last week , waiting for the 3 now.

Bit premature that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

Bit premature that :D

:). ,Got caught with my iPad 1 last year when apple dropped their price by €100, didn't use the iPad much but it s handy for holidays so don't mind waiting until march.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

DonalN wrote: »

Same boat here, wifey finally gave me permission to get one :D Going to wait till March myself and then decide between the 3 or maybe a cheaper 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    A USB port would be a sweet upgrade.
    totally defeats the purpose of an iPad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

totally defeats the purpose of an iPad.

And not likely to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

The thing about waiting to buy an iPad 2 once the iPad 3 launches is that they seem to offer less choices when buying the older model. At least that's what I've noticed with the iPhone. Once the newer model comes out, you can't seem to get the entire range of the previous model anymore. So say you are thinking of picking up a 64GB iPad 2 once the iPad 3 launches, there's a good chance they may only offer one or two models, remembering there's both WiFi and WiFi + 3G models available currently with two or three different capacity's.

Something to keep in mind, you may not be able to get the specific iPad 2 you want once the 3 launches.

• Advertisement

niall_h wrote: »
    Still not much difference in price between both versions:

iPad 1 - 64GB

iPad 2 - 16GB

not really comparing like with like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭NauP

Donal

Get the Ipad 2 now......great for learning the banjo ;-)....!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 niall_h

Didn't look too hard, tbh. Fair indication, all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

OP Apple are due to make some big announcement tomorrow.

Its supposed to be about education - and I'm sure it will be.........but I can't help but wonder if they are going to surprise everyone and announce ipad3 also (since the manufacturers are supposedly already churning them out)

But thats just my hunch - no evidence at all whatsoever to back it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Seems like the iPad 3 announcement will be in a couple of weeks:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/ipad-3-media-event-rumored-for-early-february/12035

Wednesday’s Apple educational event isn’t until tomorrow but we’re already hearing word that an iPad 3 and iOS 5.1 event could be in the wings. Japanese blog Macotakara is reporting that Apple is planning an event in early February to introduce the iPad 3 — and possibly iOS 5.1 — for a March launch.
    The reference (courtesy of MacRumors) is suitably vague:
    According to asian supplier and a source in United States, Apple seems to prepare to hold Special Event in early February. Because Chinese factory will be in holiday of New Year, then [sic] new product is concidered to be released in early March.
    While Apple is due to announce a new Mac Pro and MacBook Pro in the not-too-distant future, Macotakara reported last week that Apple’s manufacturing partners (Foxconn and Pegatron) have already begun production on the next-generation iPad.
    Bloomberg backed up the iPad 3 story (via three sources) two days later claiming that it will ship with a quad-core processor, retina display and an LTE radio capable of 4G data speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

quad-core processor, retina display and an LTE radio capable of 4G data speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

I'll be waiting for the 3. Expecting improved cameras, and possibly a new size model.

Previously, IIRC Jobs himself said a smaller iPad (7 inch) would not provide the experience they wanted users to have.

I'd queue for an iPad 7inch. The current size is just that little too large for me. From reading blogs and fansites etc. they don't consider this to be possible. The status is a new 3, with lower price entry point for iPad 2. Leaving that to battle off the Nook and Fire and Galaxy Tab 7.7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Same position myself..

Not in a mad rush for one, so gonna wait and see what the 3 has to offer

Costs for iPad2 will drop, May opt for more mem iPad 2 than iPad3 depending of the spec

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Pin_Cushion

It depends on what you want it for. I bought mine last August and it wouldn't have mattered tbh whether the three came out the following week. It is my primary computer now and absolutely invaluable. I'm in hospital at the mo tethering Internet to it and watching Netflix in between browsing boards. I use it for apps, internet, music and particularly for sheet music. There is very little that would persuade me to ugrade in the next year or two I believe.

Having said that it is apple and maybe there will be something that I end up really wanting on the three lol

Sorry to go off-topic, I just wanted to ask what app do you use for sheet music and if there is a site where sheet music can be bought through an app? I spend my whole life digging though books and random pages of sheet music and I've never figured out a proper way to scan them and put them on the ipad or an app to get a lot of sheet music from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

The best moment of my iPad was when I downloaded the free musicnotes.com app and all the sheet music I'd bought down the years (or near all of it) popped up on my iPad for free!! They have a wide selection, relatively expensive for a one off print but if you buy on the laptop you get your print and just make sure the copy you are buying is also compatible with ios to get the best of both worlds. Also the best bit is that most of the stand alone sheets come in about 7 different keys and can be changed at the touch of the screen. You can also leave notes on the sheets which will be saved

Second best one for me as a wedding/classical organist and singer is virtualsheetmusic. Again this is a site I subscribe to that now has a completely free app store app if you have a subscription (or you can buy each individually). It is not quite as good as the musicnotes version but decent app.

Finally I use goodreader PDF reader for all sheet music I have that's in PDF already.easily enough transferred, doesn't take much space and the app is very stable.

Personally the sheet music was the unknown gem for iPad for me. I did not honestly expect to be using it for music!

Advertisement