Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basement flats - yes/no?

Options
  • 16-01-2012 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

Might be viewing a one bed basement apartment this week. Normally this type of apartment wouldn't appeal to me but its very close to where I work, rent is great value and the pictures look good.

Are there any obvious things I should look out for given that its a basement flat? Light will probably be poor but I'm never home during the day anyway. Are they more prone to dampness, difficult to heat, etc?

Would appreciate comments from those that may have lived in a basement flat before or people who would be familiar with them. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Raladic

Depending on where it is, e.g. in the city centre, you may not be able to get internet from certain providers.

Also from some friends that currently rent a basement flat, the insulation isn't great and the heating is electric only, although at first they thought it would be grand, it doesn't heat up properly and the bills can get quite high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Given the recent floods, I'd bare the local topography in mind. If it's the kind of basement with a "courtyard" below ground level and railed off, like these, bear in mind the litter and anti-social elements.

A nice well-built and maintained basement flat should have no problems, but good luck finding that in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

Ive lived in two basement flats in my life.
    I was happy enough. I didnt have any problems.
    Go see it and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Flooding: even if the area hasn't seen much flooding, is the bottom of the door a step up or not from the "outside" ground, and what drainage is there (also, is the drainage clear or blocked)?

Local area: are the much homeless people around? Some of the entrances to the basement houses are sheltered from the elements, and have seen people sleep down there.

Are there railings outside it, or can you walk freely down?

Is it lit? I'd advise walking down there at 9 o'clock at night to see what the area is like, as that's the time you'll be going out, etc, at the weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

To answer some of the questions:

Heating: Gas fired... not sure does that just mean the radiators are heated by a gas boiler as opposed to oil. I'll check that on viewing.

Railings/courtyard: It has railings with a little gate I think. There would not be enough room for someone to sleep or loiter down there but it could be prone to littering. Would city councils clean those areas or is it considered private property?

Flooding: Given the location, I don't think it would be liable to natural flooding. But I will check the drainage and how elevated the door is in case of heavy rainfall etc.

Lighting: Its on a busy street with plenty of lighting.

Cheers for bringing those topics to my attention, would not have thought of some of those.

• Advertisement
Advertisement