Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminding in Waterford

Options
  • 16-01-2012 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Justy wondering if you have any information on Childminding in Waterford, I know there's almost always someone who is looking for a mid week minder but do you have to have some qualifications for it or can it go on experience??

Cheers,

Sashiee

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Can go on experience, yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I think the vast majority of childminders these days have qualifications. Deisemum who posts here regularly tends to have very good information on this top so hopefully she'll pop in tomorrow and fill us all in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

In all fairness, do you need to have a qualification to have children?
    Then again, maybe some should!

But anyway, personnally speaking, if you've reared kids well yourself
    you're more than qualified. If you're a good heart & all your bearings
    are well oiled & in the right place you might not be as qualified but
    you should be fine. Kids generally don't come with a manual!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 shauna0

I think it can go on experience personally. I mind 2 children and I dont have a qualification, nor do i have children of my own (yet :D). I think some people just have a flare for working with children and enjoy it. I mean, you can get a childcare qualification and not really enjoy working with kids or not bond with them.
    But if you can show someone you have experience they will be able to see that you can and will look after children and obviously enjoy it if you're doing it for a livin.

My opinion anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

You don't have to have any qualifications but if you've got experience I think a qualification can be a benefit.

Irrespective of qualifications or not I would strongly encourage someone thinking of childminding to make sure they're insured including checking that they're covered for bringing minded children in a car if doing school runs and have a current first aid certificate. Parents generally look for first aid.

Once you're looking after 4 or more children under 6 years of age that haven't started school and that are not from the same family you are obliged to notify the HSE.

If you're looking after 3 or less children (no more than 2 under 15 months unless siblings) you may voluntary notify the Waterford City Childcare Committee.

Your own children depending on their age are taken into account.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Do you mean insurance for the car to bring the kids to school?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

Sully wrote: »
    Do you mean insurance for the car to bring the kids to school?

Yes, most insurance companies will not cover you to carry minded children that you're getting paid for as it's seen as a business service. Carrying other children that you're not getting paid to mind ie you child's friend is different and covered by your normal private motor insurance.

I think most if not all insurance companies must be notified if you carry children that you're being paid to mind. The motor insurance is usually loaded by 30% approx.

Same with household insurance, the insurance companies must be informed though some will cover up to 2 minded children and not affect your premium. Some companies will not cover childminding in the home.

Then there's public liability.

deisemum wrote: »
    Yes, most insurance companies will not cover you to carry minded children that you're getting paid for as it's seen as a business service. Carrying other children that you're not getting paid to mind ie you child's friend is different and covered by your normal private motor insurance.

I think most if not all insurance companies must be notified if you carry children that you're being paid to mind. The motor insurance is usually loaded by 30% approx.

Same with household insurance, the insurance companies must be informed though some will cover up to 2 minded children and not affect your premium. Some companies will not cover childminding in the home.

Then there's public liability.

Cheers, just as I thought. I know someone in this situation and was saying she would need to double check with the insurance.

Advertisement