Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the dog ?

• 16-01-2012 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is it safe to run with my dog, he is a cross between a Jack Russel and border collie and I am going to take up jogging. Was wondering would if be OK for him to jog with me say about 2 miles he is 10 and would just wondering would it be fine for him health wise ie he ain't going to go have a heartattack or anything? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

ok, the dog is 10 years old ... I'm not a vet but IN MY OPINION the dog is too old for cardio type of work. he might be off the lead but then can decide when to stop etc ...

I think a fast paced walk would be much more suitable for a 10 year old dog . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Joekers

OK thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

What sort of exercise does he do at the moment? 10 for a jack russell may not be that old, you can judge yourself but I'v seen medium sized dogs that at 10 years old still act like puppies but others then that are already slowing down a bit. If he already is fit for a long walk try jogging small distances and see if he's able for it and slowly build up. If he's currently doing very little or no exercise then it's the same as a human going from nothing to jogging 10 miles he will suffer. But the same as people judge his level of fitness yourself and slowly build up speed and distance.

Also worth noting the ground your jogging on, stick to softer ground like grass if possible, if he's any sort of joint issues I wouldn't advice jogging on tarmac. If he hasn't been to the vet in a while then bring him for a check up and ask them, they will listen to his heart for a murmur (which is common in older dogs).

Forgot to add: If he's good off lead you can leave him off and he can stop to rest at his own pace, but don't let him fall behind and not keep an eye on him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

It depends on the dog. My Jack Russell is happy to run around the park sniffing everything on a 2 hour + walk but the few times I took her running with me she'd dig her heels into the ground and refuse to keep pace. She's well able for it, but she just prefers to stop and smell stuff rather than run consistently.

She is also 10. Health wise I wouldn't see it being a problem. Jack Russells and border collies are tough old dogs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I go jogging with my 9 year old lab x and he has no problem with it, probably helps that after about 2 miles I'm ready to swallow my own tongue from breathing that hard :D, the 11 doesn't really like running in a tight pack on lead and the 13 year old is just too stubborn to not sniff! They all cycle though no problems (pain having to store all their bikes in the garage!!!!)

Like the others said, much depends on how fit your dog is at the moment and general health. Start slowly and your dog will tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

I bring my black labrador out for a run at least once or twice a week usually around 8 or 9km each time and she loves it.

Most i've brought her for so far is 11km and we were both pretty knackered at the end of it, just wondering though would she be able for 14 or 15kms or would i be done for cruelty to animals ?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭questionquick

If its a couple times a week should be ok but don't involve them in marathon training

I go jogging... the dogs cant keep up with me on downhill parts but they go ahead of me on uphill parts (4 legs?)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Joekers wrote: »
    Just wondering is it safe to run with my dog, he is a cross between a Jack Russel and border collie and I am going to take up jogging.
    I presume if you are just taking up jogging you are going to start off by doing couch to 5k or something similar- which is the ideal way of starting your dog running with you too. I probably would go to my vet first just to be sure but I don't know your dog!
    If you do bring your dog I would highly recommend talking your dog through the run- eg when you go left say left etc a very very important one being stop:p
    Zorba wrote: »
    I bring my black labrador out for a run at least once or twice a week usually around 8 or 9km each time and she loves it.

Most i've brought her for so far is 11km and we were both pretty knackered at the end of it, just wondering though would she be able for 14 or 15kms or would i be done for cruelty to animals ?

I run 4 times a week with my dog doing about 20 mile- we are planning on doing 10 miles this weekend. I would increase the distance your dog runs by about 10% a week- which probably would be similar to what you yourself would do.
    On longer runs I try to run the majority on grass or sand and I make sure I'm never far from a supply of fresh water in case. Also having a black coat your dog can overheat quicker so just keep an eye for any signs of that.
    You should google canicross if you have never heard of it before!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I’m glad to see this thread on here, I have been jogging with my dog (5 and a half years old) for a couple of years, but normally I only really jog during the summer months when I can jog with her off lead in the forest. I am trying to take it a bit more seriously now with the goal of doing the Dublin Marathon in October, so I have been jogging round my village with her on the lead for the last few weeks. I’ll be honest, she doesn’t particularly enjoy it, she is a cocker, so as a gun dog, would prefer to stop and sniff everything. I feel a bit guilty, but she doesn’t seem to be in any difficulty or pain, so my attitude is that it’s only for another few weeks until it gets bright enough that I can return to the forest and I am only doing 3-4 miles 3/4 times a week at the moment so it shouldn’t be too taxing for a fit dog.

My dilemma is, when I return to the forest and she can run off lead and I start getting into the marathon training proper, how far do you think I can bring her? I was thinking maybe 6-7 miles would be the limit? And if I am doing longer myself, I can arrange for my husband to pick her up. Do you think this would be ok for her? I don’t jog very fast, maybe 9-10 minute mile.

Someone told me once that a sheepdog easily runs 10 miles or more a day when working, so I reckon if it's built up slowly he should be fine. Usual things, keep an eye on him while running and also a few hours after you get home and the next day for stiffness, that'll let you know if it's too much for him. You'll know yourself though if he's enjoying it or it's too much. Maybe have hubby on standby :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Usual things, keep an eye on him while running and also a few hours after you get home and the next day for stiffness, that'll let you know if it's too much for him. You'll know yourself though if he's enjoying it or it's too much. :)

Might have to do those tests on myself! Legs feeling a bit heavy today :D

ncmc wrote: »
    Might have to do those tests on myself! Legs feeling a bit heavy today :D

Yeah I feel your pain, we're jogging twice a week and on Sunday I more shambled around the route than ran it! Dogs are far far fitter than me, it's a little morto when your elderly dogs barely pant while I'm purple in the face and unable to walk that evening!!!

Advertisement