Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

playschool problem

Options
  • 16-01-2012 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I started my son in playschool recently..there are 12 children in the class and 8 of the children are polish...

One of the reasons for sending him was for social interaction..
    my problem is that all the polish children stick together and just seem to speak polish and are not interacting as obviously with little english they find it easier to stay together and speak their own language..

I feel my son isnt getting the best from this situation as I want him to be able to communicate with the hole class and interact with a larger number than just 4 kids..

Would you consider moving your child to a different playschool or do you think
    I should just leave things be...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Discuss your fears with the teachers and see what they say?
    How do you know these children stick together?
    They probably play together in their organised activities during the day?
    Are you happy with it otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sud1

I dont know for definite that they stick together while there is organised play I presume they all have to play together then but when dropping and collecting they are always together at one side of the room...speaking polish..other than that I am happy with it..I dont expect much from playschool as I know the hole idea with it is just to encourage social interaction...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭superslimme

Hi Sud,

Believe it or not using verbal communication accounts for only 30% of the communication with the higher 70% communicative language using gestures, signs and facial cues. Children have a fantastic way of getting around the language barriers, similar interests and likes play a much bigger part than you may think. Just because the other children they speak the same language, does not necessarily mean that they stick together. The problem with drop off and collection is that you are not seeing a complete picutre of the day but rather a snipet, for example these children may all go home together or parents arrive to collect the children at the same time, therefore these children stay together at this time. I would ask your son's preschool teacher how is his social skills developing and is developing the required skills to interact sucessfully with his peers. I would not take him out of a preschool because this and I am sure he is having a ball while you are not there.

Advertisement