Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Live and Broadband Speed

Options
  • 16-01-2012 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if ye could settle an argument for me and my friend. We mainly play Modern Warfare 1, 2 and 3 online.

We are both about as good as eachother, however, he has better broadband than me. He has UPC, think it's 25mb, and I have Eircom, I'm signed up for the 24mb but I do only get 13 or 14 mb on it, I get a 25ms ping and he gets around 15 I think.

Anyway, when I play on my own I do brilliant, e.g. in MW2 I've gotten over 50 kills in a TDM a good few times, he only has once. However when we play together he always does better than me, and when I'm on the other team he always kills me really easily.

I argued that it's because he has a better connection and so a micro second advantage over me so when we are playing together that helps him do better. He called me an eejit and said "how would my connection being faster help me?".

So, could his faster connection give him an advantage over me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

That small of a difference? Unlikely to make much difference IMO, hes probably just better than you. Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

chops018 wrote: »
    So, could his faster connection give him an advantage over me?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Ha! 13mb is more than enough. I used to play on 1mb with no real problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Well, if you think you play at a level that your mate having a 0.007 of a second advantage over you actually makes a difference, then yes, he has an advantage...

However, it's fair more likely that he's just better than you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

But as I've said, if I went into a map on my own I do clean up!!!! Sure there earlier I was playing on my own and I went 47 for 12 in a TDM and 40 for 18...... But if he was playing with me or against me in those maps I've no doubt I would have only got about 15 and he would have got 28 or something. Even though he wouldn't go into a map on his own and get the high 40's like me.

• Advertisement

chops018 wrote: »
    But as I've said, if I went into a map on my own I do clean up!!!! Sure there earlier I was playing on my own and I went 47 for 12 in a TDM and 40 for 18...... But if he was playing with me or against me in those maps I've no doubt I would have only got about 15 and he would have got 28 or something. Even though he wouldn't go into a map on his own and get the high 40's like me.

This isn't the forum for boasting about your abilities but the guys over on the GAMES forum have some great threads for posts like yours!

Try: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056084778

or similar ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Your connection wouldn't be very different from your friend. It is barely noticeable at the speeds as MooseInn mentioned above.

I may as well create a boasting topic about my skills in gears of war 1, made it to #14 in the world rankings :P That was a game where having host connection mattered, and i had a crappy 1.5mb eircom connection. Moral of the story, connection doesn't mean much, it's the players skills that adapt to the slow or fast internet connection.

Your connection wouldn't be very different from your friend. It is barely noticeable at the speeds as MooseInn mentioned above.

I may as well create a boasting topic about my skills in gears of war 1, made it to #14 in the work rankings :P That was a game where having host connection mattered, and i had a crappy 1.5mb eircom connection. Moral of the story, connection doesn't mean much, it's the players skills that adapt to the slow or fast internet connection.

Ha, well I wasn't coming on originally to boast!! :P

But I honestly find it weird that I can do better than him playing on my own and when we're together he beats me.... I put it down to his connection! He sponges more bullets and everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

It's because he hosts you don't. When he gets host, usually everytime as UPC generally do he has a ping of 0ms. What happens on his screen is what the game judges in real time. When you're against him and you shoot him. You've a time delay of whatever your ping is to get to him before its verified as a hit.

In contrast when he sees you and shoots it's instantaneous. The hit registers immediately because he's the host and only has to communicate with the game itself.

It's highly likely you're a better player. Connection ruins fps games that's why i gave them up a long time ago. Don't worry about it, just be greatful you're as good as him on a much ****ter connection.

Hope this helps.

It's because he hosts you don't. When he gets host, usually everytime as UPC generally do he has a ping of 0ms. What happens on his screen is what the game judges in real time. When you're against him and you shoot him. You've a time delay of whatever your ping is to get to him before its verified as a hit.

In contrast when he sees you and shoots it's instantaneous. The hit registers immediately because he's the host and only has to communicate with the game itself.

It's highly likely you're a better player. Connection ruins fps games that's why i gave them up a long time ago. Don't worry about it, just be greatful you're as good as him on a much ****ter connection.

Hope this helps.

That does help greatly, thank you! I've been trying to come up with a way of explaining my argument to him! I'll use this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭lincminus

It looks like u just wanted to hear from us that u r better :P

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

You didnt mention upload speed...that's also a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Ping is the crucial one TBH

bastados wrote: »
    You didnt mention upload speed...that's also a factor.

Mesereed is right. The large upload and download speeds are virtually pointless to online gaming at the moment. XBL limits the amount of data required to play multiplayer games, so developers will make games that virtually anyone with internet access can play, not just people with large upload and download capacities.

As long as you can maintain a constant stream of data above 0.12-0.15 of a meg, both up and down, then everything after that is worthless to you. Unless you are hosting a private server, then you'll be required to have a constant upload speed of between 0.12 up to maybe one meg depending on how many people are connected to your server and what game you are playing.

However, with most games moving towards having their own servers, like EA with BF3, you never need to host your own game. Only the Call of Duty series seems to keep the old idea of player hosted games, which I believe is a huge mistake since it always offers a host advantage or disadvantage to one player.

Above all else, the latency (ping times) are fair more important. It's virtually impossible for you to get an exact ping for your console as XBL uses a different method of transferring data than your PC normally does. It uses the same protocols as Skype, which doesn't require conformation that packets arrived at their destination correctly. This speeds up the process of exchanging data and thus runs slightly quicker than your ping test on the PC. However, the down side of this protocol is that there can be inconsistencies in the data received. However, XBL probably has a way to compensate for these inconsistencies so it's not an issue.

So, for anyone looking to improve their ping times on XBL, there's virtually nothing you can do! Just make sure you have all the correct ports open in your router and, if possible, have your xbox wired to your router. Having a wireless connection probably only effects your latency by 3-5ms, so it's not really going to make any difference to your gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

ah the classic 'you're only good cause youre the host' bull. (I'm always host cause I've the 100mbps UPC package)

to test this theory i played against a bunch of South African lads, and had **** pings whereas all of their connections to each other was great, and i still kicked ass in MW1/2

OP, try BF3. no hosting issues, and a much better game all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Tea_Bag wrote: »

You trying to start a "OMG MW3 IS BETTER THAN BF3" war?

Ping times are what counts. As most posters have said already.

ah the classic 'you're only good cause youre the host' bull. (I'm always host cause I've the 100mbps UPC package)

to test this theory i played against a bunch of South African lads, and had **** pings whereas all of their connections to each other was great, and i still kicked ass in MW1/2

What a load of nonsense, your test proves nothing. You could still have been causing lag on their server.

Now find another forum to go boast about your amazing FPS prowess in, this forum isn't the place for it. If you're that good, then you don't need to tell anyone about it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

What a load of nonsense, your test proves nothing. You could still have been causing lag on their server.

Now find another forum to go boast about your amazing FPS prowess in, this forum isn't the place for it. If you're that good, then you don't need to tell anyone about it ;)
    i don't see how it doesn't prove anything? i suppose it just proves that the COD host P2P style technology is starting to get dated.

i also wasn't trying to show off anything tbh. hell I'm fairly awful at BF3 on my PC. its still a better system though (aside from the dedicated servers rubbish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

Listen, if you're going to start spouting rubbish and calling upon instances that have invoved you doing well under a foreign host, i'll measure the consensus based on my experiences too.

I've played Gamebattles competitively since Cod4. You haven't. I've hosted a GB game, you haven't. I had the better connection when hosting. When the host was switched my hits were nowhere near as crisp. This was a 2v2 private match. I can only imagine how bigger the difference in a 12 man lobby.

But i suppose that was just my aim...:)

Advertisement