Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

clear jelly like scour in 4 month old suckler calves

• 16-01-2012 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

having a lot of problems with my calves this year.ive had the vet out three times,sent off samples that came back negative so he has treated calves for all possible infections.calves seem to be good and lively but this scour is not normal or healthy.any ideas :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

I think I had a calf like that a few years ago, It cleared up fine after a while. If the calf is lively then it can't be too bad.

I can't recall any longterm effects on the animal either.Of course it may not be the same thing but it sounds the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Sounds like coccidiosis. Did the Vet mention this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

having a lot of problems with my calves this year.ive had the vet out three times,sent off samples that came back negative so he has treated calves for all possible infections.calves seem to be good and lively but this scour is not normal or healthy.any ideas :mad:

is it white in colour

• Registered Users Posts: 9 charliemack

yes the vet mentioned coccidiosis and prescribed vecoxan drench and bimotrim injection for four days. so ive gone thru that process twice, scour clears up for a day or two and gradually comes back, ill just add it same five or six calves that keep getting the scour back. its starting to get annoying at this stage :confused:

some calves clear as water and some greyish in colour.i know it sounds like a dessert menu but thats my problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

have seen this as well as clear as water but solid as jelly , i took no notice of it and had no trouble, i only saw it on the calf or when they were lifting their tail to go for a crap.

Have they access to Hay or Straw? A change of diet might help them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

used BMIstat oral drench in the past for calves suffering from rota virus and cocci. it made treatment much more effective being able to keep them on milk.
    if memory serves it was administered morning and night for 6 days but it really just work IUKWIM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

assuming they are inside , clean out shed regularly... bimastat is a great job, how much vecoxan are you giving them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Had that problem before and tried all the brands known to man!!
    In the end I cured them by feeding good fine Hay and reducing the amount of milk. The jelly like stuff is from the lining of the bowls, and is due an infection.
    Lack of fiber is the cause, and fiber itself the cure !!

• Advertisement

Going with your gut instinct, as they say.;)
    Like salt & vinegar taytos for a hangover.

cheers all thanks for the help. got them calves on good hay. cross the fingers and hopefully all will be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

actimel and stimulex twice daily for a week to 10 days

Advertisement