Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rude People in Dublin

Options
  • 16-01-2012 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,

Anyone notice how rude people have gotten in Dublin. I must say I've encountered some unbelievable rudeness in this city especially from shop staff. I would like to know how others feel, Is the recession causing us to loose our once valued warm hospitable nature?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Mr_Solas wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone notice how rude people have gotten in Dublin. I must say I've encountered some unbelievable rudeness in this city especially from shop staff. I would like to know how others feel, Is the recession causing us to loose our once valued warm hospitable nature?

Maybe it's as a result of people tightening their belts.

I'd say you're talking to the wrong people. Or are you going around all the shops testing their mood by being as antagonistic as possible?

If you lighten up, maybe they will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mr_Solas

Antagonistic: Absolutely not. I detest bad manners and expect to receive a freindly welcome from those in the services sector. I find that there is a growing number unable to reciprocate a smile or a bright hello. I find it a growing trend in this city and makes me mad to be quite honest. Such rudeness cannot be defended.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I haven't noticed it actually. I'd have thought shop owners, managers and staff would be more appreciative of customers seeing as how we are in such difficult economic times.

Vote with your feet and move on to another shop if you get grief. There's bound to be one which will be happy to have your custom.

Antagonistic: Absolutely not. I detest bad manners and expect to receive a freindly welcome from those in the services sector. I find that there is a growing number unable to reciprocate a smile or a bright hello. I find it a growing trend in this city and makes me mad to be quite honest. Such rudeness cannot be defended.

Ok Mr Happy, here's what you fail to realise.

People (especially those in the service industry) are allowed to have a bad day. This is where you need to realise that it's not that they dislike you. They're trying to bottle in all the sh!t they've received up until you approaching them. If you expect to be smiled at all day move to Canada. (or <insert other stereotype here>).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I've found the reverse. People aren't running around grabbing everything in sight, so there's more time to talk to the shop staff without them hassling you to buy something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Find the opposite too. People seem to be warmer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'm from the west of Ireland myself but I'm a frequent visitor to Dublin for various reasons.

In the vast majority of cases, I find Dubliners to be anything but rude.

In fact, most of them will go out of their way to be helpful in my experience.

Some of the shop staff where I come from could learn a thing or two from their counterparts in Dublin. (Although there is fat chance of that happening as many of them never have, and never will set foot outside their own small town universe).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

dsmythy wrote: »
    Find the opposite too. People seem to be warmer.

Same here, 99.9% of the time my good manners and politeness is returned in kind, my rural relatives are always commenting on the excellent service and manners of the city service industry workers, people in general in the city, particularly when driving. I'd say chin-grin is on to something, maybe it's your attitude that needs to be looked at Mr_Solas, or you have just logged on as a new user name to troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

No different to anywhere else. Every place has the typical pissed off person on the tills. You know the type, never say thanks and shrugs when they have to get something for you. They are everywhere but just act the same way to them and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Same here, 99.9% of the time my good manners and politeness is returned in kind, my rural relatives are always commenting on the excellent service and manners of the city service industry workers, people in general in the city, particularly when driving. I'd say chin-grin is on to something, maybe it's your attitude that needs to be looked at Mr_Solas, or you have just logged on as a new user name to troll.

????

• Advertisement

Warper wrote: »
    ????

We're courteous drivers perhaps? I don't see it though. :pac:

I blame the caffeine. Everyones' highly strung.

Warper wrote: »
    ????

I know, but after driving in Galway I am inclined to agree with them. Serious attitude, blocking entrances, not merging, nobody will flash anyone out in to traffic etc... I could sort of see where they are coming from. My late forties Galway relative can't believe people in Dublin let him change lane when he puts his indicator on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I think the OP is about 5 yrs too late noticing rude people in Dublin!During the Celtic Tiger yrs I noticed it,mainly from foreign store staff,who only wanted youre money for their commission.Now in 2012 I find alot more Irish shopstaff,who are friendly,talkative and you can have a bit of a banter/haggling to get a bargin with.You'd never have the craic and haggle with foreign shop staff over the past few years.

You'd never have the craic and haggle with foreign shop staff over the past few years.

I did. And still do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Is the recession causing us to loose our once valued warm hospitable nature?
    Like others have said, I've found the opposite to be true. One of the positive things about the recession is there are less arrogant tossers about the place. I find people show more solidarity these days and experiences in shops are more friendly, no doubt a neccessity to retain custom. I dont miss the celtic tiger era attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hi all,

why not tell them there and then that you believe they are being rude and walk out?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I know, but after driving in Galway I am inclined to agree with them. Serious attitude, blocking entrances, not merging, nobody will flash anyone out in to traffic etc... I could sort of see where they are coming from. My late forties Galway relative can't believe people in Dublin let him change lane when he puts his indicator on!!

I have driven in both cities and never experienced any problems. Galway county is something else. narrow roads and people driving as if in a rally.

apparently Dubliners will be more forgiving when they see a reg that is from outside of Dublin.

Like others have said, I've found the opposite to be true. One of the positive things about the recession is there are less arrogant tossers about the place. I find people show more solidarity these days and experiences in shops are more friendly, no doubt a neccessity to retain custom. I dont miss the celtic tiger era attitudes.

shoppers from the republic are considered quite rude and aggressive in norn iron. apparently at christmas time you have people fighting each other for products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Hi all,

I recently moved out of Dublin and this was one of the very things that inspired me to move. Dublin is like a tinderbox lately I think, everyone seems to be at the end of their fuse, it's actually like being back in the Celtic Tiger when people would nearly drive over you if you were in their way or if you delayed them for a second.

There is a crankiness in the air I noticed, everyone is utterly p*ssed off and it's all simmering there just below the surface.

I've moved to the west of Ireland now and I haven't regretted moving for a second, people take the time to say hello to you and there is a completely different pace of life over this side of the country, there is a warmth and friendly air about the place and people are genuinely warmer and more considerate.

I recently moved out of Dublin and this was one of the very things that inspired me to move. Dublin is like a tinderbox lately I think, everyone seems to be at the end of their fuse, it's actually like being back in the Celtic Tiger when people would nearly drive over you if you were in their way or if you delayed them for a second.

There is a crankiness in the air I noticed, everyone is utterly p*ssed off and it's all simmering there just below the surface.

I've moved to the west of Ireland now and I haven't regretted moving for a second, people take the time to say hello to you and there is a completely different pace of life over this side of the country, there is a warmth and friendly air about the place and people are genuinely warmer and more considerate.

capital city equals rudeness. Country living relaxed friendly pace of life. is this not everywhere?
    people are more nosey down the country and want to know your business evn when it does not concern them.
    irish people in the service industry lack the faux friendliness maximum politeness of shops in the states.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I think the OP is about 5 yrs too late noticing rude people in Dublin!During the Celtic Tiger yrs I noticed it,mainly from foreign store staff,who only wanted youre money for their commission.Now in 2012 I find alot more Irish shopstaff,who are friendly,talkative and you can have a bit of a banter/haggling to get a bargin with.You'd never have the craic and haggle with foreign shop staff over the past few years.

Nonsense.

I would say i've had the opposite experience. All foreigners just want your money / their commission while us salt of the earth irish only work for the craic, for an aul chat.

Seriously, cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Fuinseog wrote: »
    capital city equals rudeness. Country living relaxed friendly pace of life. is this not everywhere?
    people are more nosey down the country and want to know your business evn when it does not concern them.
    irish people in the service industry lack the faux friendliness maximum politeness of shops in the states.

I've been in other capital cities where there was nowhere near the level of rudeness that I've seen in Dublin. It seems to me that there are a lot of people in Dublin who are wearing their personal or financial difficulties on their sleeves these days. Also on the roads I've noticed it, you indicate to try to change lane on the M50 and some pr*ck in a BMW that he can't afford, driving in the lane you are trying to get into, with an attitude problem, immediately speeds up to prevent you doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

capital city equals rudeness. Country living relaxed friendly pace of life. is this not everywhere?...

I don't quite agree. Yes, in larger cities, people tend to be brusque and businesslike, often because they are quite busy. I don't consider that rudeness. To me, rudeness involves something akin to being actively unpleasant. I don't experience that in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

This is one of the main appeals of living in Dublin vs a small town. Nobody gives a sh*t about your business. I love the anonimity of city life.

Oh, and if you want to experience super-enthusiastic faux friendliness then all you need to do is take a walk up O'Connell Street:

'HI GUYS! My name is Mags and I'm from Concern and guess what I found out today!!??'

F**k off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I agree with the original poster. Not only rudeness, but a generally unprofessional attitude.

It's incredible when you come home from, say, Japan, where the bus drivers are King of My Bus, wearing beautifully crisp and clean uniforms and white gloves; they won't tolerate any ill-behaviour on the bus for a second, and they clean the bus after each run so it's sparkling. Their attitude is courteous, grown-up and professional.

And shop staff treat you like a beloved auntie (even if you're a boy of 17), smile, meet your eyes, wrap your goods.

You would *never, never* have the experience there of shop staff talking to each other across you as they process your sale.

I think it's a kind of immaturity in Irish people - not just Dubliners, either. Lack of professionalism, lack of grown-upness.

Not all the time, of course - lots of shop staff are lovely. But there is a general air of ah sure it'll do, which includes feeling it's perfectly all right to be rude and careless with your customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sam V Smith

If I - as a customer - am the one saying please, thank-you and have a nice day then something is not right. I don't care if you're having a bad day. In any job with face to face customer interaction you had better muster up your best fake smile and at leadt pretend to be grateful for their custom.

It infuriates me as there are so many people out there who would be delighted to take on their job and would be genuinely courteous, polite and respectful when dealing with customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I could'nt care less if someone doesnae gives me the "yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir" treatment so long as they sell me what I need.

What I do care about is the problem customer in front of me (and its always a woman, usually the wrong side of 35) who's holding everything up by being an stroppy ould boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Bambi wrote: »
    I could'nt care less if someone doesnae gives me the "yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir" treatment so long as they sell me what I need.

What I do care about is the problem customer in front of me (and its always a woman, usually the wrong side of 35) who's holding everything up by being an stroppy ould boot.

handbag only comes out to search for money after every item has been scanned through. It's like it's a surprise everytime the till opertor asks for payment. Then she goes walk about with her nose in the air pulling faces picking out more items before spreading change on the counter and making more faces. same on buses / bank machines, anything. takes them 5 minutes to do what a bloke can do in 10 seconds. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

By "the wrong side of 35" you mean those young lads who stand there with hands hanging and moth drooping open, until the till operator asks for the money, then they start pocket mining for the right change, yes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Tombo2000

Hi all,

Anyone notice how rude people have gotten in Dublin. I must say I've encountered some unbelievable rudeness in this city especially from shop staff.

I was walking through Dublin the other day and all these chuggers wanted to shake my hand and chat to me ......seriously, what a friendly place!

Seriously, if you are going to judge the friendliness of a place by the reactions of people who earn the minimum wage and probably hate their jobs......get real...

Here's my own observation.

I spent a year backpacking recently, travelling on my own in Asia. Every now and then I'd bump into other Irish people. The Dubs were always the friendliest. And I'm not from Dublin myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement