Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rude People in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I've been in other capital cities where there was nowhere near the level of rudeness that I've seen in Dublin. It seems to me that there are a lot of people in Dublin who are wearing their personal or financial difficulties on their sleeves these days. Also on the roads I've noticed it, you indicate to try to change lane on the M50 and some pr*ck in a BMW that he can't afford, driving in the lane you are trying to get into, with an attitude problem, immediately speeds up to prevent you doing so.

What extra do you have in your car that gives you stats on other driver's finances? Must get me one of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

There is a crankiness in the air I noticed, everyone is utterly p*ssed off and it's all simmering there just below the surface.
    Maybe thats just you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

CiaranC wrote: »
    Maybe thats just you

Or maybe not. Maybe the poster is making a genuine observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

At first I thought this was going to be another thread to have a go at Dublin people, but I actually have to agree. The quality of individuals I run into on the street or even around my house has undergone a significant deterioration.

For example, just today I was driving in my estate and a guy almost crashes into me (reversing quickly around a corner) and another person comes flying around as well. The man started roaring at me, when it was clearly his fault, about "shutting my mouth" (I hadn't said anything) and "making faces at him" (:rolleyes:). He started hurling abuse at me and said he was going to punch my face off (I lol'd).

People in general on the streets have become much more rude too. People bump into you in a city - it happens - say sorry or ignore it or whatever. Don't get aggravated when it's clearly a mistake/accident, or if you're doing the bumping at least acknowledge the other person.

Nit-picking, I know... but it's my visual manifestation of the decline in manners and increase in thuggy/knackery behaviour in general

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I think its more a case of being angry for absolutely no reason at all (due a misplaced sense of entitlement) that cause some people to be arseholes

Anyone who gets angry about less than steller service in a shop needs to calm down. Complaining because someone on minimum wage isn't bright and breezy serving their 200th sandwich that day? Come on, give them a break

Most people just try and get on with their lives and are helpful and decent people

Others are arseholes. I don't think this has changed a tiny little bit throughout history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Mr_Solas wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone notice how rude people have gotten in Dublin. I must say I've encountered some unbelievable rudeness in this city especially from shop staff. I would like to know how others feel, Is the recession causing us to loose our once valued warm hospitable nature?

warm hospitable nature:rolleyes: that was always a myth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Mr_Solas wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone notice how rude people have gotten in Dublin. I must say I've encountered some unbelievable rudeness in this city especially from shop staff. I would like to know how others feel, Is the recession causing us to loose our once valued warm hospitable nature?

Have you been to Paris ? we don't come close to rude compared to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I have a feeling that Mr_Solas is someone familiar to this forum logged on under a different name to stir it up and troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

While good manners are important, and there is no excuse for saying something blatantly rude to a customer, I only appreciate "friendliness" as far as it's genuine. I'd hate to see us go down the route of walking into a shop and getting the same "have a nice day" that the last 300 customers have gotten, because the shop assistant will be graded on whether they stick to some ridiculous pre-ordained script. In one customer sevice job I had years ago, we were directed to use the customers first name three times in each two minute conversation in order to seem friendly. I can think of nothing more fake or irritating to listen to from a total stranger but I was required to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

mattjack wrote: »
    Have you been to Paris ? we don't come close to rude compared to them.

I have been to France and folks there would not think twice about walking through you. most Irish will say sorry even when they are not in the wrong. not sure if this is rudeness or cultural difference.

I noticed tracksuited youths running down O Conell street at speed and not caring who they plough through.

I think the OP is referring in particular to shop assistants who give the impression they are too good to be working there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I have been to France and folks there would not think twice about walking through you. most Irish will say sorry even when they are not in the wrong. not sure if this is rudeness or cultural difference.

I noticed tracksuited youths running down O Conell street at speed and not caring who they plough through.

I think the OP is referring in particular to shop assistants who give the impression they are too good to be working there.

Queens visit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

People in general on the streets have become much more rude too. People bump into you in a city - it happens - say sorry or ignore it or whatever. Don't get aggravated when it's clearly a mistake/accident, or if you're doing the bumping at least acknowledge the other person.

completely disagree, in Dublin, both parties would be saying sorry even before they made contact in a hushed whispered tone, my job puts me in contact with a constant stream of foreignors from all over the world, and the one thing they all notice very quickly is how apologetic and friendly people in Dublin are in that kind of accidental bump situation

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

FensterDJ wrote: »
    completely disagree, in Dublin, both parties would be saying sorry even before they made contact in a hushed whispered tone, my job puts me in contact with a constant stream of foreignors from all over the world, and the one thing they all notice very quickly is how apologetic and friendly people in Dublin are in that kind of accidental bump situation
    I've lived in Dublin the vast majority of my life... and I can say in the past 5 years I've noticed a decline in manners in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I've lived in Dublin the vast majority of my life... and I can say in the past 5 years I've noticed a decline in manners in the city.
    This coincided with you getting older, I think youll find.

Ive just spent a good chunk of time in China, anyone who doesnt think Dublin/Irish people are culturally warm and friendly needs to do some travel to the likes of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I lived and worked in retail in Dublin for six years. You would not believe the amount of abuse we get in our jobs, especially since the recession kicks off. Haggling with you over reducing prices that, as an employee for a multinational company I am totally unable to do and they know it, de-humanising staff so that they can just stand there literally screaming abuse at you for warranties and company policies that we have no control over, racism, having objects thrown at your head (literally), and trying to steal stock from right in front of you.

Personally, I have never once in six years lost the head with someone, I just bite my tongue, put it to the back of my mind and plaster on a smile for the next customer. It's not their fault that I've had an a** just before serving them, and generally they'll hear the abuse and give you a break.
    A lot of retail staff aren't as quick to calm down after an altercation like that, and believe me, they're more common than you realise. We've had wages cut, we've had policies put in place that make our jobs harder, generally stores are understaffed because people that have left their jobs have not been replaced and the extra work is just put on someone else. We work long shifts, constantly on our feet, and would be lucky to get a lunch if its busy.

If you're going to comment on a retail staffs attitude, especially nowadays, just bear in mind the cr*p we have to put up with on a daily basis. I transferred to Limerick recently and sometimes I find the customers even worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

I did five years of retail in Dublin and I genuinely believe every single person should be made to work in some face-to-face with the general public, lowest-rung, minimum wage service industry job for at least three months at some point in their life. I loved dealing with the public and always tried to be genuinely friendly and nice but you've no idea the amount of people who will push you to the limit of manners or treat you like you're an idiot robot there to cater to their every whim at the expense of all the other customers. I know it's annoying when people are a bit grumpy but unless they make a habit of it, please don't take it personally because it more than likely is just a bad moment rather than a state of mind! You're right to expect good service but you've no idea how far a simple bit of mutual courtesy and patience will go when things are very busy or under-staffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 conor1989

Completely agree, I love the city but Dubliners(not everyone) ruin it. They act so rude, proud and unfriendly. I find the foreigners here much more educated and civilised. Coming from an Irish man.

I will leave Dublin soon, I would love to come back if it weren't for the people. They really ruin basic things like shopping, going for a stroll etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Holy thread resurrection Batman!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

s15r330 wrote: »
    Holy thread resurrection Batman!!

Don't be so rude. But yeah, 5 year old dormant thread...jeez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

conor1989 wrote: »
    Completely agree, I love the city but Dubliners(not everyone) ruin it. They act so rude, proud and unfriendly. I find the foreigners here much more educated and civilised. Coming from an Irish man.

I will leave Dublin soon, I would love to come back if it weren't for the people. They really ruin basic things like shopping, going for a stroll etc.

Dubliners are too proud for your liking? Dubliners are extremely honest about the issues and problems of city. I have been to some holes in the West of Ireland/Midlands and the residents were acting like they were from Chelsea.

I do think Dubliners are blunt and honest, that can come across as rude. Dubliners will be honest with you about issues they are having with you etc. I prefer that to the false smiling and niceness from country people, who will only talk **** behind your back and never to your face. I find country people are only nice, as they are afraid you might know them or their family, not because they are nicer than Dubliners.

Those horrible and rude Dubliners have allowed hundreds of thousands of people to have a free and liberal lifestyle. Tens of thousands of gay people have moved to 'rude Dublin' because their 'nice and friendly' country town was not torrelant for them to live there. Single mothers in Dublin, were able to live in Dublin more freely than people living in small towns / glorified villages outside of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

wpid-6072c3f98f422cbfe116f89220478223.jpg

Dubliners are too proud for your liking? Dubliners are extremely honest about the issues and problems of city. I have been to some holes in the West of Ireland/Midlands and the residents were acting like they were from Chelsea.

I do think Dubliners are blunt and honest, that can come across as rude. Dubliners will be honest with you about issues they are having with you etc. I prefer that to the false smiling and niceness from country people, who will only talk **** behind your back and never to your face. I find country people are only nice, as they are afraid you might know them or their family, not because they are nicer than Dubliners.

Those horrible and rude Dubliners have allowed hundreds of thousands of people to have a free and liberal lifestyle. Tens of thousands of gay people have moved to 'rude Dublin' because their 'nice and friendly' country town was not torrelant for them to live there. Single mothers in Dublin, were able to live in Dublin more freely than people living in small towns / glorified villages outside of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Not worth resurrection. A bit too ranty. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement