Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liscannor + varnish

• 17-01-2012 12:01am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, newbie on here.

I've just put liscannor stone in a hearth. I've heard that it can be varnished with ordinary clear wood varnish to seal it. Has anyone on here done this, and if so how did it work out?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've seen people use polyurethane varnish to "seal" light coloured sandstone- does the job alright, makes it easy to clean etc but it looks dreadful in my opinion, especially when you consider that any varnish will yellow over time and if exposed to heat (as in your case) it will darken considerably. If you want to seal the stone maybe a more suitable product might be "HG Golv" as per this link:

http://www.hgmaintenance.com/products/?applicationID=7

From what I recall this is removable, easily applied and reapplied if required. I've used this on slate flooring in the past (and in a slate hearth and surround) and it worked well- gives a satin finish which enhanced the look of the stone without looking "plastic".

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭liamhana

Dont varnish them - my parents have liscannor stone hearths & at some stage varnished them & they look like a 1980s pub scene. I've left mine natural and they look far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hbarstone

would not advise use varnish as will discolour and give plastic look. instead advise go to any good tile shop and they will have stone sealers that seal the stone to avoid it staining etc, choose matt finish and stone will look same as before sealer applied but porous surface will be sealed.

Advertisement