Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upper Ormond Quay

Options
  • 17-01-2012 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Always curious when I drive into Dublin as to large vacant building on Upper Ormond Quay.

It's Ormond House I believe, used to be a hotel maybe? It says
    'Sirens Bar' outside of it.

Can't find any info of the net..Seems strange it's been there so long idle, even through the good times?

Anyone know as to what its deal is?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Was due to be demolished during the 'Tiger' but probably on hold now. It was mentioned in Ulysses (well, Sirens was anyway) and there was a campaign to have it listed as a protected structure... and going by the original plan for the replacement, it should have been

It used to the be the Ormond Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJackAttack

Any idea who owns it? Seems so strange it lies there for the past 10 years?
    Good location for hotel I'd have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Any idea who owns it? Seems so strange it lies there for the past 10 years?
    Good location for hotel I'd have thought

Property developer, Bernard McNamara bought it in the mid 2000's for redevelopment. The site was never developed and as McNamara is now 'in Nama', presumably it is ultimately they who will decide its fate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 irishben

I vaguely remember going to raves there back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sirens was a late bar in the early 2000s, I had one or two nights in it.

And yeah, Raves did take place in The Ormonde alright.

"Charley says always tell your mummy before you go off somewhere"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

irishben wrote: »
    I vaguely remember going to raves there back in the day.

Used to be raves in the old Ormond printing co in the 90s on the site that is now the Morrison Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭uponthegad

It's on the list of NAMA properties for sale alright. However it needs extensive refurbishment at a minimum so might be there for a while.

http://www.cbrehotels.com/NR/rdonlyres/0DCD9279-ABA2-4B91-BD1F-4313725CE6CE/821434/Ormond_Hotel.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MemEmee

Planning permission just gone up on Ormond Hotel to demolish and rebuild.

see attached photo of planning application.

4i88.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A shame that it has to be demolished but even to the untrained eye, it looks fairly unstable with large cracks down the front. Not to mention the state it must be in inside after lying unused for so many years.

I noticed that it and the adjoining buildings (now-closed Post Office and another) had all been marked as sold a few months ago, good to see something be done with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

miamee wrote: »
    A shame that it has to be demolished but even to the untrained eye, it looks fairly unstable with large cracks down the front. Not to mention the state it must be in inside after lying unused for so many years.

I noticed that it and the adjoining buildings (now-closed Post Office and another) had all been marked as sold a few months ago, good to see something be done with them.

Also, during the break-in on the Post Office I believe the thieves went through the wall from the Hotel to the Post Office... that can't be too good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

I work in one of the adjoining buildings. Sold and due for hotel re-development as and when the planning goes through.

Advertisement