Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digital Mileage Correction - What circumstances?

• 17-01-2012 12:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭

Was browsing Donedeal earlier when I came across this advert.

188680.JPG

Lead me to Google digital mileage correction and this site popped up: http://mileagecorrection.ie/Mileagecorrection.ie/Mileage.html

Other than replacing an engine with one with different mileage I'm struggling to think of an occasion where it would be proper to correct odometers?

Can anyone shed any light on the legality of it and situations whereby it would be necessary other than liberating someone from their hard earned on false pretences.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Replacing faulty clocks. Fixing after a speedo sensor issue. Because its your car and you want to. I'm sure theres more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

http://www.whoislookup.ie/whois.php will tell you who owns the domain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Perhaps not the best time for this subject :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

mb1725 wrote: »
    http://www.whoislookup.ie/whois.php will tell you who owns the domain.
    Perhaps not the best time for this subject :o

Eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Just wondering, on my car there's a tamper dot system that activates if the odometer is interfered with in any way. Even the dealer cannot extinguish it. Do modern cars have this feature?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Just wondering, on my car there's a tamper dot system that activates if the odometer is interfered with in any way. Even the dealer cannot extinguish it. Do modern cars have this feature?
    What car is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

BMW E38

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Other than replacing an engine with one with different mileage I'm struggling to think of an occasion where it would be proper to correct odometers?

Just to touch on this, changing an engine wouldn't be a reason. The mileage is still correct for the rest of the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Even if you put a new engine in, why would you change the mileage? the car itself has still done the full amount of miles.
    Only reason for this is, getting new clocks fitted, or another error that changes the dash mileage from what the car has actually done.

I know its not against the law to change the mileage on a car, as long as you tell someone who buys the car off you, but i reckon 90% of people getting mileage corrections are out to scam the next person who buys the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

My dads 280SE had its clocks replaced before by the dealer under warranty due to the plastic guard breaking (don't ask me how that happened). New clocks with the mileage made up to the car :)

I'll have to replace it again as we got the car with the same clocks ruined by vandals where the car was stored :( I'm going to see if I can replace just the plastic cover this time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

We had one done last year, organised by the main dealer for the brand.

Car was going to be re-registered in NI, so needed clocks with MPH and KM/H on. Brand new set of MPH clocks installed, and mileage corrected to read the Miles equivalent to the KM reading before the change so as not to fcuk up the servicing schedule.

Will need doing again in a couple of years when the car comes back down and we stick the old KM/H clocks back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

BMW E38

My E46 and E36 have these also, just like in this picture of a Z3 which somebody is selling with quite low miles...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/donedeal/classifieds/viewFullPhoto.jsp?cid=9451117&ad=2891667

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

R.O.R wrote: »
    We had one done last year, organised by the main dealer for the brand.

Car was going to be re-registered in NI, so needed clocks with MPH and KM/H on. Brand new set of MPH clocks installed, and mileage corrected to read the Miles equivalent to the KM reading before the change so as not to fcuk up the servicing schedule.

Will need doing again in a couple of years when the car comes back down and we stick the old KM/H clocks back in.

Do you have to change them when coming back down? Sure no imported car has them changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

vetstu wrote: »
    Do you have to change them when coming back down? Sure no imported car has them changed.

If they already have the old km clocks they may aswell be changed back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

I dont like most Irish used cars for the simple reason that the milage for the most part cannot be verified and I dont want to get ripped off.
    Ncts every 2 years , little service history from main dealers verifying the miles etc etc.
    UK cars have annual MOTs after 3 years, many are under lease maintainance deals where even tyre changes and miles are recorded officially, proper dealer history where one can check if the stamps are genuine etc. You can even check the miles at previous mots online for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

vetstu wrote: »
    If they already have the old km clocks they may aswell be changed back.

Makes it look like the Irish car it is rather than one of them dodgy, washed diesel running, salt corroded, imports :D

Advertisement