Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First year UCC

• 17-01-2012 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey, I plan on going to UCC this year and just have a few questions.. whats the best accomodation for first years? I won't know anybody in UCC or even in Cork and its my first time living away from my family so I'd like to make friends. I was thinking about castlewhite appartments? Also is it easy to meet people/make friends during the first few days? Any info would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Splike

I didn't move away from home but I knew no one in the course when I started and I am pretty damn socially awkward. But I made friends very fast because I was with people who obviously share my interests, they are doing the same course. You will make friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Heeey,

Read the accom thread at the top of the page, that'll give you a better idea of UCC accom :D Also, I came down on my own, knew nobody, and I was scared shiiitless. Made so many new friends so easily! Everyone is really friendly down here and you'll love Cork :D We are all just here to have the craic, and most people will be in the same boat as you, so dont worry :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

You should live in a place called Mahon, great spot.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

yenom, your advice is not helpful, the student obviously does not know the area of Cork, so giving a suggestion of Mahon, which is at least two bus trips or a bus trip and 20 min walk away is not helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭omerin

yenom, your advice is not helpful, the student obviously does not know the area of Cork, so giving a suggestion of Mahon, which is at least two bus trips or a bus trip and 20 min walk away is not helpful

They might have a car??

Join a soc

Stay away from College Rd! Park & Ride in Ballyphehane/Togher area (off Tramore Rd) which opens up options for you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

omerin wrote: »
    They might have a car??

Join a soc

First and last warning to everyone, don't argue when a moderator posts a warning to another user - there was a reason for it

On your other point, joining a society or a club is a great way to meet new people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Stay away from College Rd! Park & Ride in Ballyphehane/Togher area (off Tramore Rd) which opens up options for you

I'd say the opposite for a first year, especially if you've no car...maybe not right on College Road if you're looking for a quiet life during RAG week, but in general the closer to college the better. Especially if you want to get involved in clubs or societies since meetings and events are often in the evenings, after the last Park&Ride bus has left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I moved down, knowing only two people. Get involved with the Students Union, with Clubs and Societies, you'll meet the most random people who you never thought you'd be friends with!
    Look at houses around the Lough area if you don't want college road, its 10 minutes walking from college, its near Supervalu and Lidl, and on the number 214 bus route too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭omerin

wasn't arguing, I was suggesting they might have a car :confused:

I presume that College Rd. would have higher rents then those attained in the surrounding suburbs. Add to this the run down houses, drunks and local residents ringing into local radio complaining and I'd say give it a miss ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Dude, she's a student, it's gonna happen. Also, College Road rates aren't that high. Get your facts right before you start saying stuff. I live pretty much on College Road and it's great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

wasn't arguing, I was suggesting they might have a car :confused:

I presume that College Rd. would have higher rents then those attained in the surrounding suburbs. Add to this the run down houses, drunks and local residents ringing into local radio complaining and I'd say give it a miss ;)

Even if they have a car, parking is a nightmare around college. There would be almost no students living in Mahon, it's a terrible idea recommending it as a place for a student to live. First years especially are better off living within walking distance to college and close to other students. Makes it easier to go to society events etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

i live right on college road and am paying ~€57 a week for what's actually a pretty nice gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 andie90

Meg8 wrote: »
    Hey, I plan on going to UCC this year and just have a few questions.. whats the best accomodation for first years? I won't know anybody in UCC or even in Cork and its my first time living away from my family so I'd like to make friends. I was thinking about castlewhite appartments? Also is it easy to meet people/make friends during the first few days? Any info would be appreciated
    Having spent four years in UCC I have to say that it is in your best interests to spend tyour first year in college accomodation and branch out after that once you know a few people. In my first year my situation was similar to yours - all my friends had gone to UL and I was sort of thrown in at the deep end if you like. Anyway, I sorted out my college accomodation at the last minute and ended up in Castlewhite. Its only redeeming element was its location - it is literally a two minute stroll from the centre of the college. However I would advise you to steer clear of this particular complex. It was renovated in 2007, but this renovation applies to the kitchen only. The bedrooms were a disgrace. Very small. The decor is depressing in there, nothing comfortable about the place which is what you want. Also, there are no gates so people can walk freely past your apartment and we had our doorbell rang on an almost nightly basis...It was AWFUL.
    Vic Mills seems nice, had a few friends who loved the place. I myself spent my final two years in University Hall. Ok,it's 10 mins away but worth the journey - everything is new and the general feel there is very comfortable and relaxing.

andie90 wrote: »
    Having spent four years in UCC I have to say that it is in your best interests to spend tyour first year in college accomodation and branch out after that once you know a few people. In my first year my situation was similar to yours - all my friends had gone to UL and I was sort of thrown in at the deep end if you like. Anyway, I sorted out my college accomodation at the last minute and ended up in Castlewhite. Its only redeeming element was its location - it is literally a two minute stroll from the centre of the college. However I would advise you to steer clear of this particular complex. It was renovated in 2007, but this renovation applies to the kitchen only. The bedrooms were a disgrace. Very small. The decor is depressing in there, nothing comfortable about the place which is what you want. Also, there are no gates so people can walk freely past your apartment and we had our doorbell rang on an almost nightly basis...It was AWFUL.
    Vic Mills seems nice, had a few friends who loved the place. I myself spent my final two years in University Hall. Ok,it's 10 mins away but worth the journey - everything is new and the general feel there is very comfortable and relaxing.

I'd have to disagree on some of that, I was in Castlewhite in first year too (in 2008) and the rooms are grand - bigger than in Vic Lodge and Brookfield definitely. Vic Mills is bigger and nicer but a fair bit more expensive. Also my doorbell was rung fairly rarely, and I was on a main passageway through the complex!

They tend to put first years together there - I think that's true of most of the complexes, bar Uni Hall which doesn't accept first years, so it's easier to make friends because chances are you won't be the only one on your own.

I'd have to disagree on some of that, I was in Castlewhite in first year too (in 2008) and the rooms are grand - bigger than in Vic Lodge and Brookfield definitely. Vic Mills is bigger and nicer but a fair bit more expensive. Also my doorbell was rung fairly rarely, and I was on a main passageway through the complex!

They tend to put first years together there - I think that's true of most of the complexes, bar Uni Hall which doesn't accept first years, so it's easier to make friends because chances are you won't be the only one on your own.

Well our doorbell must have looked more attractive somehow...Unfortunately :-)
    Uni Hall accepts first years - I lived with one last year. I think it was 2nd year and upwards of that exclusively for a few years alright but that's changed now.
    Money is a concern as well, Uni Hall was quite expensive think much the same as Vic Mills. As long as you're in campus accom I don't really think you can go too far wrong. Bar my experiences in Castlewhite of course!!

From the UCC campus accommodation website:
    Incoming First Years 12/13 may not apply for accommodation at University Hall unless applying for the Irish Language Block, Aras Ui Thuama.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MacMolly

What is Aras Ui Thuama like for 1st years? Was thinking of applying?

MacMolly wrote: »
    What is Aras Ui Thuama like for 1st years? Was thinking of applying?

Lived there for a year...It's the exact same as the rest of the complex just that it's meant to be exclusively for students studying Irish. I lived with people who weren't studying Irish so I don't think they are that strict on it... Probably get in there easily enough if you were interested!
    Plus they usually say the entire complex is a no-go for first years but at the end of the day if they can't get the numbers then they will take first years... Well worth applying at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MacMolly

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mr. Maslan

Hi there.

I'm UCC's first year for 12/13. Earlier I saw this thread & I was thinking; Does that mean 1st year medic students aren't allowed to stay in Aras Ui Thuama ?
    Hope you guys can reply to this question as it would really help me for my accommodation's budget for the whole semester.

Thanks ^^

• Advertisement

Hi,

No, as far as I know you don't have to be studying Irish to live there. How it works is that if there are spaces left as in after the students who are studying Irish have applied there you would get a place for sure. I lived with a sports science student, a nursing student and a student of dentistry. I think though that you should ring reception there immediately and discuss it with them. The manager when I was there was unbearable, very difficult to deal with so stand your ground and more or less demand what you want, don't ask. If she isn't there when you ring then consider yourslef lucky!:-)

don't you have to do an application as gaeilge though andie90? There's no rule at all that you have to be studying Irish, just that you have to have an interest in it and in speaking it.

Well I know there isn't a rule if you look at my older posts. I was studying Irish and was allocated a place there. I don't know if you need to have an interest even. I lived with a Saudi Arabian one year in the Irish block , think it's fairly safe to say that she didn't have a particular interest in the language. Like I said just call them, it's your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hmmm!

Hi,

I moved into Castlewhite for my first year not knowing anyone I was living with and ended up living with them for the rest of my college days!! So its a good place meet new people..
    Its very close to college too which is very handy and kitchen and bedrooms have been renovated in recent years so its fairly nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

Meg8 wrote: »

hey, im just starting ucc this year too, im gonna be staying in castlewhite (sounds alright from the reviews). coming up from galway

Advertisement