Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sign language on tv... very late.

• 17-01-2012 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Ok so I'm watching a program on bbc, and in the corner of the screen is this gigantic fella doing sign language!
    But my problem is he only comes on this hour of the morning.... do they expect deaf people to wait till this time to watch tv??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I love the way some music channels have a sign language person in the corner of videos. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Ok so I'm watching a program on bbc, and in the corner of the screen is this gigantic fella doing sign language!
    But my problem is he only comes on this hour of the morning.... do they expect deaf people to wait till this time to watch tv??

I suppose the programs are always repeats so they expect them to record them or watch them on the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Deaf people dont hear the alarm clock and sleep in. Do you know how hard it is to go to sleep at night when youve slept til 11?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Dudess wrote: »
    I love the way some music channels have a sign language person in the corner of videos. :pac:

The best bit is when they're really getting in to the song and dancing away to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭berrycherry

But the sign language guy is literally taking up half the tv screen....

I wouldn't complain as much if he was a bit of eye candy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

sky+/VCR
    VCR is for if you are going wtf at skt+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I like when looking at subtitles it says "door bell rings" how does a deaf person interpret that :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What a ridiculous thread, everyone knows deaf people are nocturnal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Don't get me started on the blind either, with their beeping traffic lights.

Those bastards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Don't get me started on the blind either, with their beeping traffic lights.

Those bastards...

The blind drive?

(cof pedestrian lights /cof)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I dont know why they have these sign language programs ...

1, why only at night?
    2, Don't most tv shows have a subtitles option?

I'm not against them :) But with the ever popular 'Red Button' feature. How come a deaf person doesnt have the option to press red when Eastenders is on so they can watch a signed feed of the programme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

LighterGuy wrote: »
    I dont know why they have these sign language programs ...

1, why only at night?
    2, Don't most tv shows have a subtitles option?

I'm not against them :) But with the ever popular 'Red Button' feature. How come a deaf person doesnt have the option to press red when Eastenders is on so they can watch a signed feed of the programme?

cos the signer would slash their wrists being forced to watch dreary sh1te like Eastenders every night?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

The hearing impaired like to watch TV too, as 44leto says these are always repeats and are made available recording purposes.

You can always invoke your remote control privilege and find a documentary on Discovery covering let's say... bigotry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What the hell are blind people doing watching the telly anyway?

xi wrote: »
    The hearing impaired like to watch TV too, as 44leto says these are always repeats and are made available recording purposes.

You can always invoke you're remote control privilege and find a documentary on Discovery covering let's say... bigotry?

This was ment as a light hearted thread!
    Of course the deaf have to watch tv two.... keep your knickers on love.... :rollseyes:

IT'S SO WE DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN TO THEIR TV'S IN THE NEXT STREET!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

You can always invoke your remote control privilege and find a documentary on Discovery covering let's say... bigotry?

I am hearing impaired but I use the subs which comes with most RTE and BBC programs. So you to could watch any of those programs with the option of subs when they are first aired.

But anyone with SKY+ or the various Iplayers which also have subs, hardly ever watch scheduled tele, they only watch recordings, as i do.

Sorry you feel like a victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

This was ment as a light hearted thread!
    Of course the deaf have to watch tv two.... keep your knickers on love.... :rollseyes:

You might have mentioned that in the title then, coupled with the deaf term your original post seemed a bit naive, my bad, knickers pulled firmly back up.

You might have mentioned that in the title then, coupled with the deaf term your original post seemed a bit naive, my bad, knickers pulled firmly back up.

I didn't think I'd offend anyone...
    That's good keep em up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Reminds me of the time back years ago when one of my mates asked us why the sides of cassette tapes had one bump for side one and two bumps for side two and we said it was so deaf people could tell the sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

My hearing's perfect, but I have to use sub-titles because my wife won't shut the fuck up when I want to watch something.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I watched the Blues Brothers with sign language not too long ago. It was amazing, especially the songs.

And one morning I saw a documentary about a Scandanavian deaf rapper. He raps in sign language!

Also in the news last year http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2011/08/17/bbc-sign-language-interpreter-sacked-for-changing-the-news/
    Leslie Grange, 32, has been a sign language interpreter for seven years. In a statement today she cited ‘personal difficulties – particularly a crushing professional boredom’ as to why, over the past six months, she had started deviating from what was actually being reported, giving deaf viewers an often ‘wildly different version of events’.
    “Questions started to be raised around the time of the Japanese earthquake when several viewers emailed us to complain about our reports of radioactive zombies sighted near the nuclear reactor. We dismissed them as some sort of organised hoax.”
    “However, when there were similar numbers getting in touch to ask if Rebekah Brooks was really in trouble for raping a monkey, and why the BBC was claiming that, as a special summer treat, the Prime Minister had told the nation’s teenagers they didn’t have to pay for anything any more, we realised something was wrong.”
    “I would like to apologise to everyone in the deaf community,” Grange told reporters today, “though when I had Cameron tell Obama “your statesmen-like profile leaves my willy plump” – well, frankly I don’t think that is so very far from the truth.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

Didn't one of these sign language ppl on TV get the sack recently for signing absolute rubbish instead of the show.

Signing 'Can I get a curry chip please' and other shizz like that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement