Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maliciously creating an email to pose as another person

Options
  • 17-01-2012 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Got a tough one. I need to know if the following is prosecutable:
    A person threatened to forward some personal details about me to all in my contact list. They had previously hacked my gmail account to delete emails they had sent me; mainly to prove that they could get in and out of my account and cause all the upset that results in that sort of activity.
    I secured my account (secondary verification is set up) so was VERY upset to receive an email today which at first appeared to be from me from that account.
    On closer inspection, it was from firstnameY.*.surname@*** instead of firstname.*.surname@*** so it was a bit of a relief that the account was safe.
    BUT they used the bogus account to send sensitive personal info to, yes, everyone on my contact list.
    I have texts and emails from the person threatening to do this. And follow up texts bragging about it.
    How do I get justice? Do gmail have a system for reporting accounts that are intentionally set up to do harm to someone? It must be difficult to police, I mean I am sure there are people calling themselves madonna53@gmail.com that don't seriously expect to be confused with the real deal!
    Any input would be so so welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

If by "hacked" you mean that you either left it logged in on a pc or they guessed your password then it wasn't officially "hacked".

I think it was just a childish prank. If you want you could mail everyone back and explain what happened. But I doubt that this could be prosecutable, unless you know for a fact that your account was breached by sinister methods (brute force attack for example).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

chin_grin wrote: »
    But I doubt that this could be prosecutable, unless you know for a fact that your account was breached by sinister methods (brute force attack for example).
    If it was brute forced, try asking in Legal if it's prosecutable.

What age are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

If it was brute forced, try asking in Legal if it's prosecutable.

What age are you?

Yeah, if access was maliciously gained through unlawful channels (ie proper "hacking" not just guessing a password).

Also, that was aimed at the OP wasn't it?

chin_grin wrote: »
    Yeah, if access was maliciously gained through unlawful channels (ie proper "hacking" not just guessing a password).

Also, that was aimed at the OP wasn't it?
    Yup, agreeing with your quoted bit and asking OPs age.

Sorry, should have made it clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Graciemight

I am old enough to know better :) they gained access to my account initially by using the 'forgot password' trick to send a link to an account they gained access to because of the security question being really slack (what is my nephew's name Duh) and then changed my password, deleted horrible emails they sent me and sent me a text saying 'how do you like me now b***h' which is really funny when I think of it now.
    So ok, not 'hacked' but definitely devious.
    So the recommendation is to take the thread to Legal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its very easy to send an email as another email address. VERY easy.
    The only problem with doing so is that any replies to the address will go to the original address and not back to the person pretending.

An open relay and some knowledge of SMTP would be able to do that.

If the person sending that email actually changed the address to simply look like yours, then they dont know their arse from their elbow about mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,974 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It sounds like blackmail in my layman understanding but you need to - one way or the other - contact a solicitor with all the information you have.

As a reminder, Boards.ie is not for legal advice.
    Don't give/ request medical or professional advice

If you want to tell someone about the amazing results YOU have had with a certain medical treatment, then go ahead. What you can’t do is tell them that THEY should have that treatment. You aren’t a doctor. Even if you were, you haven’t examined that person physically, nor do you have a full medical history. This applies to Alternative/Complimentary medicine too. Suggesting to someone that has a serious problem that <insert alternative therapy here> might cure it is very irresponsible.

Don't diagnose anyone on the site either. You simply can’t and we don’t want you doing it. Don't do it.

Don’t request medical advice or diagnosis. If you have a rash somewhere naughty, your head is hanging off or there is green goo oozing from somewhere GO TO A DOCTOR.

Randomly asking people online what’s wrong with you and what you should do about it is about the DUMBEST THING EVER. You deserve your place in The Darwin Awards if you follow any advice you get. We disclaim ALL liability if you are stupid enough to listen and act on anything you are told here. GO TO A DOCTOR. A *REAL* ONE.

As with medical advice, requesting and acting upon Professional Advice bases on something someone's said here without having the specifics of your case in front of them is a really bad idea. An accountant cannot do your books over the internet, nor can a solicitor represent you in court, so for your own sake, if you find yourself in a position where you might need professional advice, please seek it from the right places. Again, as with medical advice, we disclaim ALL liability. We're happy for people to ask general questions about the best way to respond to a letter you may have gotten, be it from the Revenue Commissioners or from an Architect in relation to hte extension you're planning on adding to your house, but you will need to get proper advice on these matters.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Just a reminder folks, do not ask or offer legal advice on Boards. I'll leave this thread open, but any more mentions of legal stuff and it will be locked.

Nick

Jumpy wrote: »
    If the person sending that email actually changed the address to simply look like yours, then they dont know their arse from their elbow about mail.

I realised that time they 'got into' my account that they had set up a filter which sent copies of emails in my inbox to them, leaving the original unaffected. I only discovered this as I wanted to set up a filter that put all of their emails to me into trash. So yes they only used the tools supplied to manipulate the data, not smtp. Which means they aren't as smart as they think they are :) but a smidgeon smarter than me :(

Thanks to all for the replies x

Just saw the messages about asking for legal advice - sorry about that

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    It sounds like blackmail in my layman understanding but you need to - one way or the other - contact a solicitor with all the information you have.

As a reminder, Boards.ie is not for legal advice.
    yoyo wrote: »
    Just a reminder folks, do not ask or offer legal advice on Boards. I'll leave this thread open, but any more mentions of legal stuff and it will be locked.

Nick
    Stop shouting lads!:p

Ah no, that's fair enough. I understand the reasons for the rule.

I only meant asking it as a general question....as a query about the laws in that particular online area.

Advertisement