Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soft Ground Running Areas

Options
  • 17-01-2012 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend some soft ground running areas around Wexford. I'm fed up of doing laps of the local pitch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Race course. You won't be alone, there are often one or more kindred souls there. Popular for walking the dog too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭happyfeet22

cool i'm going to check it out later.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Raven pt in curracloe, 10km loop, sand, grass & harder gravel/ mud paths.

How long is 1 lap of the racecourse btw and can you just park at the main entrance and walk in?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Murtinho wrote: »
    Raven pt in curracloe, 10km loop, sand, grass & harder gravel/ mud paths.

How long is 1 lap of the racecourse btw and can you just park at the main entrance and walk in?

Racecourse - I imagine it's private property and therefore you'd be trespassing ? No ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

A lap of the race track is offically one mile/1.6km. It's private land but runners and dog walkers remain unmolested.

Yes, you can park at the entrance and walk in, it's common to see two or three (or more) cars there.

• Advertisement

RadioRetro wrote: »
    A lap of the race track is offically one mile/1.6km. It's private land but runners and dog walkers remain unmolested.

Yes, you can park at the entrance and walk in, it's common to see two or three (or more) cars there.

So everyone goes in there illegally, trespassing? I wouldn't like it if people decided they'd walk around my front and back garden and bring their dogs there too :confused: Trespassing is trespassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

RadioRetro wrote: »

I thought they had extended it slightly a couple of years ago to add 2 furlongs (400m) making it closer to 2km per circuit?

mccarte2 wrote: »
    I thought they had extended it slightly a couple of years ago to add 2 furlongs (400m) making it closer to 2km per circuit?

Not according to this, it looks like 9 furlongs or 1 mile 1 furlong

http://www.wexfordraces.ie/course.htm

The public shouldn't be in there without permission anyway, it's private property. Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

There doesn't appear to be any problem with it. I've run over there on occasion. There are generally a few runners and walkers on the outer track, or using the inside ambulance track.

Workers doing the odd bit of maintenance have never commented negatively on my presence and generally just salute you while driving past.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

vicwatson wrote: »
    So everyone goes in there illegally, trespassing? I wouldn't like it if people decided they'd walk around my front and back garden and bring their dogs there too :confused: Trespassing is trespassing.

you have a race course for a back garden? must be some house you live in.

• Advertisement

bruschi wrote: »
    you have a race course for a back garden? must be some house you live in.

Ah no that's not what I meant sorry I wasn't clear, I'll explain it to you, being on private property without permission is called trespassing, and trespassing is against the law. I was saying that I wouldn't (nor I'm sure would anyone else) like uninvited persons to be trespassing on my private property.

Mind you, there are a lot of people up around the Bettyville track that could almost say they have a racecourse as a back garden as a lot houses back on to the track. Doesn't mean they are entitled to trespass.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

Not according to this, it looks like 9 furlongs or 1 mile 1 furlong

http://www.wexfordraces.ie/course.htm

The public shouldn't be in there without permission anyway, it's private property. Simples

Wouldn't surprise me if that was an old diagram before the course was updated. 3 mile races there used to be 3 full circuits but I'm nearly sure they're not as many now. We'll know on March 17th ;)

mccarte2 wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me if that was an old diagram before the course was updated. 3 mile races there used to be 3 full circuits but I'm nearly sure they're not as many now. We'll know on March 17th ;)

3 mile races = 3 full circuits
    1 mile race = 1 full circuit
    1 mile = 8 furlongs

Distance shown on Bettyville racecourse website - 9 furlongs = 1 mile 1 furlong

Ah no that's not what I meant sorry I wasn't clear, I'll explain it to you, being on private property without permission is called trespassing, and trespassing is against the law. I was saying that I wouldn't (nor I'm sure would anyone else) like uninvited persons to be trespassing on my private property.

Mind you, there are a lot of people up around the Bettyville track that could almost say they have a racecourse as a back garden as a lot houses back on to the track. Doesn't mean they are entitled to trespass.

I was only messing.

But at the same time, a public racecourse is not the same as someones back garden. Sure people train in soccer/GAA fields too on their own, and thats technically trespassing as well. I hardly think its that big a deal a few people running around a big wide open space.

if you really think trespassing is trespassing when looking at a public racecourse and someones garden, then I dont know.:(

bruschi wrote: »
    I was only messing.

But at the same time, a public racecourse is not the same as someones back garden. Sure people train in soccer/GAA fields too on their own, and thats technically trespassing as well. I hardly think its that big a deal a few people running around a big wide open space.

if you really think trespassing is trespassing when looking at a public racecourse and someones garden, then I dont know.:(

I don't make the law !;)

It's NOT a public racecourse, that's the point, it's a private racecourse in which the public visit when there are race meetings on. It's privately owned. People are insured when they've paid in to a race meeting but not when they are trespassing.
    Sure people train in soccer/GAA fields too on their own, and thats technically trespassing as well

It's not technically trespassing, unless they have permission IT IS trespassing.
    I hardly think its that big a deal a few people running around a big wide open space.

If you owned the land and you had to pay the public liability insurance on it you might not be too happy with people trespassing on that land.

Just sayin':)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I don't make the law !;)

It's NOT a public racecourse, that's the point, it's a private racecourse in which the public visit when there are race meetings on. It's privately owned. People are insured when they've paid in to a race meeting but not when they are trespassing.

It's not technically trespassing, unless they have permission IT IS trespassing.

If you owned the land and you had to pay the public liability insurance on it you might not be too happy with people trespassing on that land.

Just sayin':)
    There are many people who run/train/play games on various places such as GAA pitches, basketball courts, racecourse etc. Trespassing wouldn't be the right term to use. If someone tells you to get off the land and you don't well that's a different story.

Any time I have been up at the racecourse there have been at least 10 other people there running/walking dogs.

I have often been there when there were many workers there and some official looking people and they don't seem too bothered about people using the facilities so all your talk of illegality and trespassing is a bit OTT.

TheChevron wrote: »
    There are many people who run/train/play games on various places such as GAA pitches, basketball courts, racecourse etc. Trespassing wouldn't be the right term to use. If someone tells you to get off the land and you don't well that's a different story.

Any time I have been up at the racecourse there have been at least 10 other people there running/walking dogs.

I have often been there when there were many workers there and some official looking people and they don't seem too bothered about people using the facilities so all your talk of illegality and trespassing is a bit OTT.

which is my point too. people coming on to see where they can go run, and then see talk of trespassing. its a common practise that lots fo people do and without fear of the guards coming after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

Well, ive been up there myself, and ive seen some off duty gardai (both male and female) jogging up there a good few times. also seen about 20 gardai training with batons and riot shields in the inner grounds by the stands once before.

the circus use the car park for their tents, its been used for small markets too, and other things.

so all in all, i dont see any harm. most people have been jogging on the inner concrete circle as with the bad weather lately its fairly bogged on the outside track.

just have a look at the fixtures board on the way in. the maintenance men usually work very heavy on the weeks coming up to a race. during that time its best to be cautious for tractors and the like, as the men have to be keeping an eye out all the time when driving around so that they dont run someone over,which is not good.

One cannot defend the indefensible.

Private Property + No Permission = Trespassing

Trespassing is Illegal in this country.

Was there today, lots of "trespassing" signs but lots of ppl in there, joggers, walkers, dogs etc so it seems to be accepted. Carpark was locked though, had to park in off the road at the gate and hop over a few fences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

They did try to stop tresspassing some years ago they built a wall by Carriglawn to stop people from using the short cut there to just walk onto Racecourse.

I was up there today trespassing, it felt brilliant!

I was up there today trespassing, it felt brilliant!

Criminal :eek: :D

Murtinho wrote: »
    Was there today, lots of "trespassing" signs but lots of ppl in there, joggers, walkers, dogs etc so it seems to be accepted. Carpark was locked though, had to park in off the road at the gate and hop over a few fences.

So there are actually signs up there informing the public it's private property? and people ignore them?

I guess if the owners don't make a sold attempt to keep trespassers out then........ it's still illegal to trespass ;)

Actually, if i recall correctly, i remember there being a write up in the people paper about the place getting smashed up by vandals late one night,some time last year ?
    and they were close to sealing the whole place off to everyone.

dont know if the vandals got caught, but id say if it were to happen again, it would be end days for everyone.

are ppl still running up there, havnt been up in a while but was thinking it would be nice to get onto grass again

Advertisement