Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steak sandwich recipe + accompaniments?

Options
  • 17-01-2012 1:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

My boyfriend's birthday is coming up in a few weeks and I want to cook him a nice dinner. He loves steak sandwiches so has anyone got a nice recipe or some even some tips for cooking it and what accompaniments are nice (and easy enough) to put with it?

Just a note, my budget won't stretch to fillet steak, so what other kind of steak is good to use for steak sandwich and won't be tough?

He likes his steak cooked medium-rare.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

I hope this fits the bill

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 pound thinly sliced sirloin steak strips
    8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
    1 pepper, seeded and cut into strips
    1 medium onion, sliced
    10 slices cheese (I like a nice mature one, but whatever works for you)
    1 loaf French bread
    1/2 pint beef stock
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    Splash dry red wine
    prepared horseradish to taste
    mustard to taste (I like wholegraine)

Heat the oil in a heavy pan over a medium heat. Add the beef, and cook until browned. Add the mushrooms, sliced pepper and onion; cook and stir until starting to become tender (prob about 5 minutes)
    In a heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the beef stock, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes and red wine. Transfer the beef and vegetables to saucepan and stir to blend. Cover, and cook until the beef is the way you like it
    Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C (no idea what it is in F). Drain the liquid from the pot, and save for dipping. Slice the French bread lengthwise. Mix together the horseradish and mustard; spread onto the inside of the bread. Place slices of cheese on both sides of the loaf, then fill with the beef and vegetables. Close the loaf, and wrap the entire sandwich with kitchen foil.
    Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven. For crunchier bread, you can bake it without the foil. Slice into servings, serve with the sauce and whatever side dishes you like

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

I'd go with a nice piece of striploin steak, Cook it whole to the way he likes it then let it rest before slicing it so it stays juicy.
    Fry some mushrooms and onions in butter and put it all in some crusty bread, French roll or ciabatta whichever is preferred along with some cheese.
    Serve with some chips and a nice cold bottle of whatever his favourite beer is.
    Nice and easy,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I have to say the best steak sambo I’ve ever had is in Elephant and Castle, it’s tender, tasty and deeelliicciuuussss.

Anyhoo, I try to recreate it at home – pretty successfully I might add! I spread soft goats cheese, German/Polish mustard and mayo on a toasted Ciabatta/Pannini roll. Layer with tomatoes and rocket and lash your steak (I use striploin) in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

Steak sandwiches? are they still around? Its all about 'steakage' these days baby :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Whatever way you go about doing it, make sure you slice the steak into strips.

Makes it much easier to eat, and for you also much easier to see that you've cooked it medium rare.

As an aside you could do worse than calling (not sure where you live) into Terry Whelan's butchers on Parnell St. If you get there early enough on Saturday he will have vacio (pronounced va-see-oh) cuts of beef. It's more or less beef flank, is absolutely ideal for steak sandwich making. It's a argentine cut, obviously the beef is Irish but he cuts the beef in the Argentine style. It's also a pretty cheap cut of meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

omg must have steak sambo asap :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

settings wrote: »
    Steak sandwiches? are they still around? Its all about 'steakage' these days baby :cool:

/DROOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I am pie wrote: »
    Whatever way you go about doing it, make sure you slice the steak into strips.

Makes it much easier to eat, and for you also much easier to see that you've cooked it medium rare.

I’d have to disagree here. I like my steak in one piece. I hate when it falls out of the sambo! A good quality rested striploin will be tender enough to get your teeth through no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

olaola wrote: »
    I’d have to disagree here. I like my steak in one piece. I hate when it falls out of the sambo! A good quality rested striploin will be tender enough to get your teeth through no problems.

That works if every piece of fat and sinew is carefully trimmed away.
    Not nice to take a big bite of your sandwich and find a whole steak hanging from your mouth cause you can't bite through the sinew:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭wickan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I love an oul steak sambo, and having eaten more of them over the years than is strictly advisable, this is by far, FAR and away the best recipe I've ever come across - steak sandwiches with rocket, caramelised onions and blue cheese butter. Serve with some nice, crispy chips - heaven!

http://edible-ireland.com/2011/11/17/steak-sandwiches-with-rocket-caramelised-onions-and-cashel-blue-butter/comment-page-1/#comment-774

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Get it sliced, everytime ! Don't take the risk with 'should be' fine : )

There is nothing worse in this world than your whole steak sliding out of that sandwich on the first bite.

Imagine that on your birthday ! You'd need years of therapy to get to the stage where you could leave the house without collapsing into a blubbering mess.

Advertisement