Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is it for you that makes it all worth hanging around? What's your buzz?

• 17-01-2012 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭

Was just reading Devore's very interesting thread on depression, well worth a gander. Have to say I never realised that depression can be experienced as a sense of emptiness or listlessness - a sort of a 'what's the point' thing. (hope i got that right)

and it got me thinking. - about the thread title.

For me, and prob for most, its a number of things.

here they are in order

A child face lightening up/ child's laughter.

love (whatever that is)

getting something tricky finally done and dusted.

nature (sometimes)

sex

a good comedy/ joke.

So, what's your buzz?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

My son and gf

discovering new things and the endless, endless possibilities life can offer you if you shake of the shackles of normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Sometimes, just knowing that we live on a fantastic planet filled with an insane number of people, many of whom are interesting, and a fantastic array of flora and fauna.

Looking out over a stormy, grey sea from a cliff with the wind whipping around you is just an incredible feeling; witnessing the sheer power and majesty of nature.

Also, the things on my digibox I haven't watched yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Nothing really makes me happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

the journey. and not knowing what will happen along the way :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

orangebud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I enjoy being right. Always. It's a great feeling:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Happy meals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

oh, and smiles, laughs, family, and cannabis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

It beats the alternative I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You mean reasons I require for not taking my own life? I'm not sure I understand the tone of the question.

But if you insist I'm sure it has much to do with the little actual Faith I do actually possess that life always finds a way of surprising me one way or the other.

Can't say it's for the sex. Would have offed myself a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

My kids, if it wasnt for them id be long gone

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

greenbud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The pure excitement of not knowing what is going to happen next. Life is full of surprises, mysteries, and new things waiting to be learned. New songs you've never heard, places you've never been, people you've never met, experiences you've never had.

It's already too short to fit it all in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A good shìte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

My friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

IM0 wrote: »
    the journey. and not knowing what will happen along the way :cool:

This one!

I've thought about ending it before, but I always had hope that things would change. You don't know what opportunities life brings you and something great might come along next week! So I waited and things got a lot better.

Have a great boyfriend and a great family and my life is going great right now. Working hard to make a good future for myself :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Just sitting, waiting for death to come along. Nothing to see here folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭NomadicMe

Life, in its fullness.
    The people I have in my life, the successes I have had, the dreams I will conquer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

My ex-girlfriend and I dated for 4 years before the recession sent me overseas. We're still the best of friends and I still choke up when I think of not being with her. Just knowing that such a girl is out there gives me a lot of good feelings in my life though. I don't believe in fate, but I do have a funny sensation we'll somehow end up back in the same place again, even if it's a few years from now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

orangebud wrote: »
    greenbud

Cheese, Juicy Fruit, Northern Lights, hundreds of billions of little crystals exploding in your brain. Mmmmmmmmm.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Knowing that with each passing day, i'm getting closer and closer to playing games like in the film Gamer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I don't know why I live. I don't know what I want except love and I don't have that or a meaning to my life. I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Happy meals.

equates to a tv meal for me. at about this time. every night cos we all need a routine.. and mine is fresh out da carton; schmucks

/it's a canelloni tonite. Tony, tony canelloni, pasta masta extroadinaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I think it's the not knowing what's next. I find that so exciting.
    Predictability drives me insane so knowing just about anything could happen and there are endless possibilities is incredible.
    There's a whole world out there to be explored..... so many adventures to be had and I'm lucky to live in a country where I'm free to enjoy pretty much whatever I want. When you see people being repressed and their basic freedoms taken away from them it makes you appreciate what you've got.
    Then there are the amazing people I've been blessed with.
    People who are beside you through the good and the bad.
    The only thing I'm concerned about is that I don't have enough time to fit everything I want to do in...but that's just another thing to keep me motivated really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Overheal wrote: »
    You mean reasons I require for not taking my own life? I'm not sure I understand the tone of the question.

But if you insist I'm sure it has much to do with the little actual Faith I do actually possess that life always finds a way of surprising me one way or the other.

Can't say it's for the sex. Would have offed myself a long time ago.
    Well the tone is 'what brings you joy' really.

(as for the taking own life, well i suppose in absolute terms that is implied, but it's the 'joy' thing i'm asking about)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Stuff.

Stuff and things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Life itself, life is wonderful its so full of surprises and challenges, it also has its sorrows and its hardship but also its joys and its hopes and really the alternative has nothing near that to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My kids.

Which begs the question: what happens when they become independent? (The youngest is 12)

It certainly isn't love, or the Packers, that's keeping me around...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Domo230 wrote: »
    The thought that there is so much to see, do, learn and experience in this world.

It takes 10,000 hours on average to master something. Most people never manage to truly master and gain supreme insight into even one thing in all their time on this planet.

I am currently working in sales and I love it. My people skills have always been lacking but I wake up looking forward to each day in my current job because I know it will make me a better person by making me better able to communicate and be closer to people.

I love my sports because it teaches me to master my body. It is like clay in my hands, I can do with it what I want. I can make myself 400 pounds and struggling to move, I can bulk up and become a tower of pure muscle, I can increase my agility and mobility and achieve the freedom to move through this world with ease.

I love to learn because knowledge is power. What mysteries and insights there are hidden away. The feeling I get when I learn something new is immense, I feel like I am one step closer to knowing the mysteries of life.

Each day is a new opportunity for me to learn about myself. To discover what makes me tick, what get's me up in the morning, what makes me happy, sad or mad. I look forward to what emotions, both good and bad, life will throw at me because it means I am still alive. I look forward to learning to be a stronger person, to be able to shape the world for the better and to learn to control my darker side.

As the song waving flags by K'naan puts it "When I grow older I will be stronger". I still have a long way to go but the thought that each day I am getting one step closer makes me smile.

People like you make me sick, what with all your happy-go-luckiness and all!:mad:

Happy for you though - real positive outlook in a pretty negative world. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Happy for you though - real positive outlook in a pretty negative world. :)

What makes the world so negative in your eyes? Sure I'd agree that there are negative things in the world, but there as many (and I would argue far more) positives. It's all to do with what kind of filter you choose to look through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

LeighH wrote: »
    What makes the world so negative in your eyes? Sure I'd agree that there are negative things in the world, but there as many (and I would argue far more) positives. It's all to do with what kind of filter you choose to look through.

Was on'y messin!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I stick around just to sicken all those f*ckers that would rather I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

Ah shur, tis all in good fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

At the moment, being fit and healthy keeps me going.
    Meeting decent people too.
    If you focus on just the negative in life, it'd be a pretty sad scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Columbia wrote: »
    My ex-girlfriend and I dated for 4 years before the recession sent me overseas. We're still the best of friends and I still choke up when I think of not being with her. Just knowing that such a girl is out there gives me a lot of good feelings in my life though. I don't believe in fate, but I do have a funny sensation we'll somehow end up back in the same place again, even if it's a few years from now.

Reminds me of a movie. Good luck with it, hope things fall into place, whatever will be will be.

I thought about the meaning of life once... by the end of it I realised the pointlessness on pondering on a question with no true answer, so I just accepted it to be 42 and went outside and lived it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Stuff.

Stuff and things.
    :confused:
    Oh, them yokes.. Got ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Johro wrote: »
    :confused:
    Oh, them yokes.. Got ya.
    no yokes allowed!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Erica<3

I've suffered really badly in the past with depressions, to the point where I nearly took my own life, and in the year and a half since that time, I've spent it reflecting almost on the little things that I appreciate. I don't take opportunities and things for granted, I take each day as it comes and appreciate the good things that happened that day.

I suppose my buzz is that college has really picked up for me as I'm starting to get my name out there and more and more work opportunities are opening up to me, and that I will always have my work outside of college, with horses, to fall back on because that is my real drug and that's what I'm best at.

And if I have a bad day, then I'll just say ok that was one bad day... I'm not going to let it affect the rest of my week or dwell on it - I just won't let myself get that low ever again, to the point where I'll just completely remove myself from a situation to not suffer those consequences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

Well what's keeping me going is the fact that I am trying to be a better person and hopefully by me being alive I can me of some help to someone. I believe happiness is from within and I create my own reality.

There are alot of people who say 'im husband is my life or my kids are my life' but actually they are going to grow up, become adults and have lives of their own, you have to keep your own identity and work on your own happiness.

There are also alot of people who say, I know it's a saying that their husband/partner is 'their other half' actually another human being does not complete you, you have everything in your heart and soul to complete yourself so be true to yourself because life changes very fast, your partner could maybe gone because no one knows what is going to happen tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yakult wrote: »
    Just sitting, waiting for death to come along. Nothing to see here folks.

Championship manager not going so well then?

• Advertisement
Advertisement